Cable Vs. Dsl

Symeon

i have a feeling dsl will continue to grow and eventually over take cable. just a personally feeling...

have you noticed its mostly the cable companies holding ands with the RIAA/MPAA/DMCA/et al. think about it, the major TV Media networks are part of the same conglemorates that own the movie/record labels. if the cable companies piss them off, they don't have any more programing to show on TV. somewhat of a conflict of interest.

DSL/Phone Companies are less affected by this.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know the figures inside and out, but over here in the uk there seems to be more companies throwing DSL down the copper wires of the telephone backbone network... seem to get faster effective speed (512kb/s cable vs. dsl) and MUCH better contention ratio... like contention's not even an issue (contention is people in your local area sharing the local bandwidth)

i'm pretty sure the theoretical limits of dsl through copper wires is much higher than cable through copper + fibre optic...

but anyway, who cares? i've got a 10Mbit connection at uni... that works out to 700MB in about 9 minutes... and it's not theoretical either cos i've tried it! :D

might be 100MBit when i move to Liverpool... who knows...

i have a feeling dsl will continue to grow and eventually over take cable. just a personally feeling...

The only reason I disagree with that is that I think that DSL is going to hit a barrier is because each DSL line uses a switching service just like a telephone and every DSL modem connected takes up one switch on the board. Cable, though, is a shared network and doesn't waste single connections.

It is kind of comparable to telephone vs VoIP atm. The reason VoIP is so efficient is because you have several conversations going over the same line, split up into packets. Same principle applies when you duel DSL vs cable.

Dunno where it is going thoughl; back in New Zealand, we are only just getting into the DSL era atm.

*shrug*

-tsamb.

The only reason I disagree with that is that I think that DSL is going to hit a barrier is because each DSL line uses a switching service just like a telephone and every DSL modem connected takes up one switch on the board. Cable, though, is a shared network and doesn't waste single connections.

It is kind of comparable to telephone vs VoIP atm. The reason VoIP is so efficient is because you have several conversations going over the same line, split up into packets. Same principle applies when you duel DSL vs cable.

Dunno where it is going thoughl; back in New Zealand, we are only just getting into the DSL era atm.

*shrug*

-tsamb.

yah but the technology and (possible more importantly) infastructure of dsl is expand at a faster rate then that of cable...in my observations anyway. i don't follow it all that closely, just read a few headlines at dslreports.com from time to time.

it'll be interesting to see how broadband over power comes into play...

Heres some politics or whatever

Bush in one of his speeches promised to standardize high speed broadband in all homes before the end of his term. I think with BPL this may be possible. If you think about it, in the beginning we thought it was amazing to connect to the internet through our phone lines at 14.4k then 28kbps which was an immense speed. But now that we are getting into the terra byes for hard-drive storage and with 64 bit applications and new technology programs in general are going to get a lot bigger needing more bandwidth on the net and if the past repeats itself, Eventually BPL might be standard like phone lines and fiber optics could be deployed like Cable is now days. I'm thinking, for Fiber optics to be deployed like coax was digital cable will have to be upgraded at a large/affordable level, like thousands of channels. So maybe fiber optics like in T1's and such will become what cable internet is to us today.

Heres some politics or whatever

Bush in one of his speeches promised to standardize high speed broadband in all homes before the end of his term. I think with BPL this may be possible. If you think about it, in the beginning we thought it was amazing to connect to the internet through our phone lines at 14.4k then 28kbps which was an immense speed. But now that we are getting into the terra byes for hard-drive storage and with 64 bit applications and new technology programs in general are going to get a lot bigger needing more bandwidth on the net and if the past repeats itself, Eventually BPL might be standard like phone lines and fiber optics could be deployed like Cable is now days. I'm thinking, for Fiber optics to be deployed like coax was digital cable will have to be upgraded at a large/affordable level, like thousands of channels. So maybe fiber optics like in T1's and such will become what cable internet is to us today.

They have been laying down fiber optic cables for years, its just too expensive. That's why companies Like JDS uniphase lost so much money they couldnt afford to continue. about 4 years ago I was getting calls from Cogent telling me that they are close to having fiber optic connection in my area for $1000 a month. They asked me to sign and agreement that I was interested, not a commitment but just interest. Well after 4 years nothing, the operation is closed...

cabel is better usually because the lines are newer then phone lines, and DSL you need to be close to the provider. Cable you can be a great distance.. well.. some distance.. usually cable is faster anyway.

I am right there with you Coolzero.

I think BPL will be a defining factor in the evolution of the internet now that we have entered the 64bit era.

I do find it mildly ironic that we have spent all this money and time developing DSL, Cable, & Fiber Optic networks throughout the world only to end up using media that has been between our walls for the last 60+ years or so. :P

We can be backwards sometimes can't we! :blink: