Cable Vs. Dsl

Symeon

Alright Overclockers, tell me what you really think. ;)

I have used cable modem for the last 3 years. I have never had any major issues to speak of except a few hours of downtime due to DNS server problems with Comcast 2 years ago.

I have regularly gotten between 1.5 and 2.5 Mbps download for the last 2 years, which is rock solid for my purposes. The only problem is that I have to deal with Comcast @ 42.95/month WITH cable! My personal feeling is that Comcast has gotten greedy over the last few years and needs some competition to get prices down to a more realistic level.

Many of the clients I service and most of my friends in the Tri-state area have Verizon DSL. Now the price is much more competetitive @ 29.99/month with basic phone service but the feedback I have heard ranges from, "I can't get enough!" to "Please God, give me AOL back!" Now personally I have never seen anything less than 1.0 Mbps on DSL but my experience is limited.

The thing that most concerns me about DSL is the myriad of different ways which your computer connects to the internet depending on your area. I have seen DHCP plug-in and go just like a cable modem, I have seen Static LAN settings and a PPPoE tunnel that links you to the Verizon network and I have even seen Dial-up to link to their server and then you get a high speed downstream connection only. This last example has yielded the most negative feedback.

Do you think one of them will take over the market or will they both vie for share power for the forseeable future?

Which connection do you rely on or prefer and why?

Please, if you live in New Jersey and know an alternative to Comcast cable post it here! :foldon:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both DSL, Cable and T1 connection......DSL is more for security on my end.....so I'm not downloading ANYTHING from it...only for connection to my servers in Washington DC.......Cable modem...I use that more for personal use.....and I'm wireless City in my house......however we have WiFi towers here in Florida......whereas you pay if you want a username and password to use their bandwith......my T1 connection.......emmm....server use only.........personally....I'd stay with Cable.....its not as secure...but most people download........not upload.....which is what it's better for. I run bandwith tests all the time..and I must say, cable modems are flighty when it comes to downstream/uploading. My servers get flogged when I use a dedicated line for cable modem. I will tell you this though.....we are working on a project here in FL with XXXXX company......soon you will be able to get online by simply plugging your computer into any electrical outlet...we now have the technology to send information through power lines directly into your standard household outlet. No more DSL/Cable ;)

The_Goonie Posted on Jul 29 2004, 06:15 PM

......soon you will be able to get online by simply plugging your computer into any electrical outlet...we now have the technology to send information through power lines directly into your standard household outlet. No more DSL/Cable

I have recently read about a product in Mac World that Apple introduced. I can't remember the name but it uses your existing electrical wiring for network traffic.

Can you elaborate on how this works? I would be interested to know!

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the company you are working with is making this for the PC. Right? :P

Comcast got greedy because they dont have anyone to ggive em competion. so they can charge whatever they want for somethng that they know is in high demand. like the cable company here in canada. they charge 45 bucks for a regular cable package because their the only compnay within like a 700 mile radius. and to top it all off after u hang up the phone they say: Thank You For Choosing Shaw.

Ya good line you nimrods, too bad we had no choice on who to choose

haha bell sympatico hispeed dsl i luv it the only down time i have had was during the big power outage last summer and i get a fast connection even tho its routed to 2 other computers i never get a ping higher than 40 on BFV and thats usualy only on uk servers

i luv dsl i have friends on cable and there say my net is faster aswell as dsl is more secure IMO

The_Goonie Posted on Jul 29 2004, 06:34 PM

I won't tell you who I work for..but I will share this with you 

I found that article very interesting but the whole thing smacks of "Big Brother"

Wouldn't the utility companies "theoretically" be able to control anything plugged into a wall outlet? :(

The last things that I want is my toaster getting a virus!!! lol

I'm in the tri-state area and use Verizon DSL at home... Megapath DSL at work (they use Verizon's lines). I thankfully haven't had service interruption as far as I can remember... Unless you count the blackout :lol:

I stand by Verizon because they are into protecting their customers privacy (as seen with their fight against the RIAA)...

it doesn't work that way......the information has a call procedure that runs off of a radio frequency......the internet (so-to-speak) is cruising through the power lines all the time, then you plug your assigned modem into the outlet, the modem makes the "call" by sending out a specific frequency that is not recognized by radio or satellite, and it pulls a signal downline into your home non-stop until you unplug or turn off the modem. Right now the modems are rather large compared to conventional cable modems, due to it needing to convert the voltages so it doesn't send an o-voltage to your computer (or you). So basically in a nutshell..it works like this...

A little guy sits at your outlet hangin out until you're ready to get online..

He yells at the power lines for some internet service.....it yells back, and instead of cruising by your house everytime.....he cruises THROUGH your house....at 3-4mb a second.....carrying EVERYONE elses signals with him.