Pre-built Systems

BiPolar

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you simply must get a pre-built, get an HP. They rule and use AMD, so it is cheaper than Hell err Dell.

Infact, Dells are computers from the underworld (Dell=Hell). So when you want to condemn someone to buy a crap computer, say, "GO TO DELL BEYOTCH!111"

emachines are startign to look better to me but i still say if he;s really concerned abotu tech support get a gateway i knwo a woman in VA who uses only gateway bc all she has to do is call them up and tell them the problem and they tell her how to fix it (more than just rebot or compaq/hp's "update to the latest bios, that will fix your problem") and in the event you need parts (like when her PSU went out) they send you the part along with instalation instructions that ANYONE can follow. even though gateway's tech support is great i still go compaq/hp bc of there over all quality for a pretty low price (not low as in custom low as in prebuilt prices) So if he just wont go custom try to get him to buy form one of these brands. That SHOULD help him in the long run.

oh yeah make him Foldwith it lol :foldon:

PS I agree on the Dell=Hell connection :angry:

If you simply must get a pre-built, get an HP. They rule and use AMD, so it is cheaper than Hell err Dell.

Infact, Dells are computers from the underworld (Dell=Hell). So when you want to condemn someone to buy a crap computer, say, "GO TO DELL BEYOTCH!111"

lol. a couple of guys on occ have businesses - ask them for their errr... 'menu' ?!?!

:withstupid: Have to agree prebuilts blow if, he really wants a warranty that bad put together a list of parts and go to a local small computer shop most do custom system and a warrasnty for 2 years for 15% of the system cost :foldon:

:withstupid:

Sony tech support is a pain in the foot, but they have decent computers. Emachines may have good tech but I dunno. And about the unupgradability of Dell, I was able to get a DVD burner for a friend off of ebay and I was able to install it for him no problem...What bugs me about the pre builts is video cards... :bah:

STAY THE HE*L AWAY FROM DELL DESKTOPS!!!!!  Their laptops ar good, but Gateway is better if you REALLY dont want to build your own system and they own Emachines(Bargain Gateways).  If you get a DeLL you cant upgrade except through DeLL.  At least Gateways you can pop any new hardware you want in.

I should kill you for insulting Dell in such a way. And the fact that your statement is an ignorant lie, makes it that much worse. I in fact have a Dell Dimension 8300, and a Dell Inspiron 2650, both upgraded in some way, NOT throught Dell. The Desktop has an extra 512MB of RAM added to it, Courtesy of Crucial, the Laptop also had an upgrade from 128 to 256MB, also thanks to Crucial. The Desktop has a CD-Burner I got for 25 bucks made by LG. A 6GB IDE hard-drive, used to back up files. Has a Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer from out of an old computer. And to top it all off, it has a 60mm Generic Who knows what fan I got from Techtronics for $4, for an intake. Really, saying that you can't upgrade them, except through Dell, is a lie.

To cchalogamer; Dell's tech support is just as good, if not better, than Gateway's. Just don't touch HP...Man they're dumb...

And for Dell's lower end systems. $700 Canadian, for a full blown system with everything you need and a 1 year warranty. A 2.6ghz Celly, 256MB DDR Ram, S-ATA Hard-Drive, fx5200...

I agree don't buy a prebuilt --even used is better--did you know that Dell and I am sure they are not the only ones -- Tech Support Is/was based out of India.

Bottom line is tech support is for newbies and they can't do much for you useally you must RMA it.

BTW I just repaired a Gateway two months ago that had been RMA twice and still did not work. Works now :P

Okay! I've seen the light. I'm going to be a VERY good friend and build a system for him. This is what i'm gonna do (and do it on newegg):

Case - Apex Beige Mid-tower w/ 350w PSU ($24)

CPU - AMD XP 2500+ Barton (not mobile) ($85)

MOBO - Abit NF7-S v.2 ($91.00)

RAM - Kingston HyperX PC 2700 2x256 dual kit ($123)

Video - ATI AIW Radeon 9600 (he wants to do VHS to DVD conversion) ($139)

HD - Hitachi 160gb SATA ($93)

DVD recorder - LiteOn 8X Dual-layer ($80)

All for a grand total of 630 plus shipping (about 20). So, some of the parts (LiteOn, Hitachi) are OEM. WOuld it be better to get retail versions for warranty ease for him? I know the Apex case and PSU ain't so great, but he doesn't want to spend the extra bucks on a good case with ventilation and a good PSU. Any other suggestions or replacements?

Thanks!