X800 Pro Or X800 Xt

GmAz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm an ati fan as well, and i'd personally get the x800 xt. the nvidia card does have one advantage (pixel shader 3), but it sucks up WAY too much power, takes up too much space (2 slots, is it?), nvidia's drivers are sketchy, and from what i've heard, the card will cost something like $600 when it's finally released. ouch.

Well, i was considering the X800Pro. Considering that I'm upgrading from a 9200SE, ANYTHING will be an upgrade lol, but seriously, I'll have the $400 and change needed to get the Pro at the end of this week. Is the extra 4 pipelines of the XT really going to make a difference in games in the future? I mean buying a 9800Pro or XT now, would seem kind of foolish, I would think, if itwon't be able to make the latest games look saweet (farcry, HL2....) I just want to get a card and not have to get one again for a while. I had hard of enough time convincing my parents to let me dish out $400 on a computer part and i honestly dont wanna spend $500.

the power consumption of the 6800 has been toned down to 350watts i think the same a 9800xt... and who here really needs those 2 pci slots anyway..you have a sound card and maybe a wireless ethernet card or a riad controller.

i'm an ati fan as well, and i'd personally get the x800 xt.  the nvidia card does have one advantage (pixel shader 3), but it sucks up WAY too much power, takes up too much space (2 slots, is it?), nvidia's drivers are sketchy, and from what i've heard, the card will cost something like $600 when it's finally released.  ouch.

obviously, you're biased because you cant think of any better reasons why someone would get the X800 over the 6800. Like agallion said, who really DOESNT have an open PCI slot below theyr GFx card? The only people who will be buying these cards are people who have money to burn, and chances are, they already have a kick arse system, like BigRed. Plus, Nvidia has had a much better driver history than ATI has, and the minimum wattage rating is now 350 watts. The 2 molex connectors are only for the 6800Ultra and 6800Ultra extreme, the others will have 1. The 6800 series will have support for DX9.0C, not just PS3; something ATi's new cards don't have because the X800Pro/XT/XT PE has the same basic core layout and features as the 9800 Series, while nVidia designed a whole new core because they already knew the FX line was a failure and didnt want their new cards to have ANYTHING to do with the FX line. Put it like this, when the 6800's drivers mature and PS3 and DX9.0C is in full scale use (PS3 is now being implemented into new games, like farcry[patch]) nVidia will completely dominate this round of GFX technology.

obviously, you're biased because you cant think of any better reasons why someone would get the X800 over the 6800. Like agallion said, who really DOESNT have an open PCI slot below theyr GFx card? The only people who will be buying these cards are people who have money to burn, and chances are, they already have a kick arse system, like BigRed. Plus, Nvidia has had a much better driver history than ATI has, and the minimum wattage rating is now 350 watts. The 2 molex connectors are only for the 6800Ultra and 6800Ultra extreme, the others will have 1. The 6800 series will have support for DX9.0C, not just PS3; something ATi's new cards don't have because the X800Pro/XT/XT PE has the same basic core layout and features as the 9800 Series, while nVidia designed a whole new core because they already knew the FX line was a failure and didnt want their new cards to have ANYTHING to do with the FX line. Put it like this, when the 6800's drivers mature and PS3 and DX9.0C is in full scale use (PS3 is now being implemented into new games, like farcry[patch]) nVidia will completely dominate this round of GFX technology.

i didn't post to get in an argument. i was just stating my personal opinions. i've had nothing but bad experiences with nvidia - from the geforce3 onward. i'm not saying one *is* better than the other. i really don't care which is better. just saying that if i had the choice, i'd go with the x800.

Thx ya'll. I think i will get the XT. PS 3.0 isn't that important to me. The two big titles HL 2 and Doom 3 were set to use the 5900 Ultra and the 9800 Pro/XT. I am a huge FarCry time (when i get to play it) and I can run with max visuals at 1024x768 on my rig with my 9800 Pro OC'd a little past XT speeds, but mulitplayer needs to be toned down on visuals. The x800XT has me on price. With my water setup, I am sure I can get more power outta it. Besides, NVidia hyped up there FX series so much and let me recall...didn't that line suck. I bet these ones will suck too, at least perform worse than the x800 series.

I have to disagree with the bad things on the geforce 4 TI line. the 4600 was the last uncontested king of video cards (it had the 8500 to walk all over at the time). Since then Nvidia has not impressed me... of course this shinny new card from Leadtek is calling my name... just gotta figure out which card it actually is in the 6800 family since leadtek doesn't clearly say

I think this is pretty funny...Alot of people are already ragging on the X800Pro, and only 2% have tried it.

How can you argue with the X800Pro? It's got a price tag of only $400, which last I checked was still very close to the going rate a 9800XT. Same price as a 9800XT, which you people loved...and the X800Pro is kicking the 9800XT around like a step-child.

I still think people are over-estimating the 6800U cards. They have a hefty price tag, and still get out-performed by a $100 cheaper X800XT in some tests.

If you search Comp USA's or Best Buys website they are selling the 6800 Ultras for $500 and Besy Buy has the 6800 GT for $400. I based my pricing from New Eggs prices right now which for the brand new cards sucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=...43&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...52&type=product

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...3398&pfp=SEARCH

I saw at hardwareanalysis.com the other day a new benchmark with the XT PE versus the shipping version of the 6800U. The cards were DEAD even in most of the tests. I guess the new drivers for the 6800 did make a difference.

that's great that nvidia caught up, but what does the next version of the ati drivers have instore? on the flip side what do nvidia's next ones have in store?

it's still too early to call a winner here!