Nvidia Geforce 6800 Review

Nuclear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would bet alot of money that ati's card will be A) just as big and B) require as much or more power

:withstupid: i'm sure if nvidia could've designed a card with the same specs but requiring less power, they would have. If ATI can match specs, odds are great that they too will require hefty power, unfortunately.

I too have to side with nvidia here...they seem to have the edge for next generation. But hey, this is what competition is about...although competition is supposed to drive down prices, and that hasn't seemed to take place yet. heh

But hey, this is what competition is about...although competition is supposed to drive down prices, and that hasn't seemed to take place yet. heh

Well the prices drop for the lower end cards, however the top cards/cpu's/mobo's are always pricey when they first come out.

What we need is a 3rd company that can provide just as good if not better graphics solutions for a cheaper price, more Companies will bring the price down, not necessarily two companies competing against each other... ;)

2 things:

#1 I think ATI will have trouble matching the 222million transistors which i feel gives the 6800 Ultra its power (both in graphics processing and power supply guzzeling).

#2 Personally I won't pay $500 for a card although if you do your guranteed to have a card the will be able to play the latest games for at least 2 good years. Just like people who bought TI4200's when they first came out they are still using them with decent performance today. But I'am willing to pay $300 so im going to be all over the the 6800 non-ultra benchmarks. Also the 6800 non-ultra only needs one power connector and has a single slot cooler. So for me its between a HIS 9800 Pro or a new 6800 non-ultra but im not making my decision until I see the benchmarks.

P.S. I heard the 9800XT and other current high performance cards prices may take a month or 2 after the release of 6800 Ultra to drop.

It will make it look more than perfect. And if you haven't seen the 3rd Generation Unreal engine video that is supposedly done on an NV40 you should. If it really is the NV40, which I have no doubt that it is running that game than it should last for 3-4 years before needing an upgrade. The 9700Pro will be good for another year and the NV40 is suppose to be 2-3 times as powerful as the 9700 Pro.

EDIT: What do you mean $500 is too much too pay? Graphics cards are what gives you your performance in a game. I see people on here buying multiple $900 processors.

Edited by Ghost2520

I think what he means is he can't justify spending out $500 straight off on a graphics card when the real games that take advantage of it will come within a couple of months. Its better to wait a couple of months or so for the prices to drop and offers to come about! My fx5900u will last for a while yet. Not gonna bother upgrading. And its not just the graphics card that gives the performance in games its based on the whole system.