• 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 40+

Remaining questions:

What does 8088 mean?

What connection protocal was used for dial-up 10 years ago?

The 8086 (officially called iAPX 86) is a 16-bit microprocessor chip designed by Intel in 1978, which gave rise to the x86 architecture. Shortly later the Intel 8088 was introduced with an external 8-bit bus, allowing the use of cheap chipsets. It was based on the design of the 8080 and 8085? (it was source compatible? with the 8080) with a similar register set, but was expanded to 16 bits.

As for the connection protocol I am not sure what your asking about. I do remember getting my first 300 baud modem. That plugged directly into the phone cord instead of placing the phone receiver on the modem cradle.

And I still remember the Atari II vs Commador 64 debates on the BBS forums. You know like the AMD vs Intel stuff.

And I remember scraping together $150 bucks with my brother to get a 1.44mb HardFloppy drive. I mean 1.44mb my god what was I going to do with that much space. And it had random access ability. I didn't have to fast forward my tape cassette. Yes that is right a tape cassette is what my old commador64 used to save external storage.

At least I am not the oldest on the forum. :D:D:D:D:D;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The protocol I had to use to dial-up to the college campus (1992) was called SLIP...PCs weren't compatible with PPP until a year later, PPP was for Macs (ugh) only at the time, although both apparently were really different ways of doing TCP/IP? I was never a network geek, just a computer and gadget geek. Before SLIP was pretty much BBSs and transfer was through Xmodem, Zmodem, and some others that I forget now. I never did much on BBSs.

I remember in grade school, buying FLOPPY, floppies (5 1/4") for a buck a piece, double sided (yes, you could flip them over) and double density. When 3 1/2" came out it seemed like the biggest advance in computer history!!

Beer: I have much knowledge in this department:

Favorite: Alaskan Amber, an ALT style beer, no aftertaste, smooth, and kind of sweet (but not in an "unbeer-like" way) more like Hef without the bitter.

Regular: mostly Coors Light, because you can drink it for 10-12 hours on the river and not pass out from dehydration...

Cancun is a great town for Tequila, stick with Don Julio Reposado, expensive, but the best.

The protocol I had to use to dial-up to the college campus (1992) was called SLIP...

SLIP old your kidding me right. I still use SLIP protocol to dial into some of my customers boxes. Well a year ago I still did. They finally went VPN this year.

Dude I thought you ment the the old modem strings and stuff for modems to get them to initialize.

Remeber having to type in the following.

&F&A&ADT12013421200

To get a modem to dial A phone Number.

Also the really old stuff was to use SADLE which was for the old EBCDIC machines. Mainfraims and the old System36 and System34. I remember getting those machines to talk.

This was for the first pre-dated EDI transactions between companies. We used to upload are availble Food goods each day to the Kroger Store MainFraim using a SADLE modem. Lots of fun. 3 days and 3 different PGM languages.

Also anyone remeber what EISA stands for?????

Ill give you a hint it was way way before PCI and way before ISA bus. ;):D

oh boy!this one is going to get me into trouble.as a man i hope all women suck!sorry guys,i just couldn't help my self,that was post was begging for this reply!lol :D

not everything flat is annoying,the screen sounds good to me! :D

That comment was out of line! :angry:

Wow. I made a topic that became 4 pages. lol

I think the teens are the best. You can still enjoy getting drunk with friends, get laid, and all kinds of stuff, and get your parents to pay a lot easier....lol B)

• 6 years later...