How many mbps do we really need?

kennethk

Comcast offers a $40 month plan contract free for 5mbps of download speed and the bandwith is 250GBs, I really don't download as much as I use to, would that be enough speed to get my by? I don't really need wifi or anything like that.

Its hard to judge, when it comes to internet usage. It depends a lot on what you do. Do you stream a lot, mostly browse, etc.

Also, this is just for most of you Americans. I really feel sorry for you guys. For $50 a month, we get 100/10Mbps here in Denmark. It sometimes has its benefits of being a small country :)

Its hard to judge, when it comes to internet usage. It depends a lot on what you do. Do you stream a lot, mostly browse, etc.

Also, this is just for most of you Americans. I really feel sorry for you guys. For $50 a month, we get 100/10Mbps here in Denmark. It sometimes has its benefits of being a small country :)

Is it under contract though?

Comcast offers a $40 month plan contract free for 5mbps of download speed and the bandwith is 250GBs, I really don't download as much as I use to, would that be enough speed to get my by? I don't really need wifi or anything like that.

How fast is the upload speed?? That's about a 3rd as fast (down) as my 4G cell phone but if it was stable and consistent it may not be BAD...

That being said I'd LOVE to have that Denmark connection, contract or not!

Our Comcast connection is about 30Mbps down and 11.5Mbps up, so not too bad. I'm pretty happy with the speed, but not sure what my dad pays (we have TV and phone baked in too)

Are you talking 5MB/s or 5Mbps?

I can't see it being that, because that sounds like the next logical step up from our premium bundle (it'd be like 40Mbps). It's gotta be 5Mbps...

I know when I have a place of my own, I'll only have internet. No landline phones and TV will just come over the internet (via subcriptions or general streaming)

How fast is the upload speed?? That's about a 3rd as fast (down) as my 4G cell phone but if it was stable and consistent it may not be BAD...

Our Comcast connection is about 30Mbps down and 11.5Mbps up, so not too bad. I'm pretty happy with the speed, but not sure what my dad pays (we have TV and phone baked in too)

I can't see it being that, because that sounds like the next logical step up from our premium bundle (it'd be like 40Mbps). It's gotta be 5Mbps...

I know when I have a place of my own, I'll only have internet. No landline phones and TV will just come over the internet (via subcriptions or general streaming)

You'd still need home phone because internet connections aren't always reliable. Like when theres an outage or it simply breaks down.

You'd still need home phone because internet connections aren't always reliable. Like when theres an outage or it simply breaks down.

But home phones are VoIP now so if you lose internet, no home phone either lol

That speed should be fine for regular web browsing. I used to have 5 Mbps a few years ago, currently at 10 Mbps. 5 Mbps download is like the minimum you want for HD quality streaming. The more the better, because their might be 1 or more users on at any one time. If you are the sole user, then you won't have to fight over bandwidth. I'm a heavy internet user and 10 Mbps is enough if I don't mind waiting for stuff to download. It all depends if you have to consume your content then and there or at a later date. If its at a later date you can slide by with a slower connection. I'll be upgrading my internet to 90 Mbps soon :P

Are there any ISPs in your area that don't have bandwidth caps? That's my biggest concern.

That speed should be fine for regular web browsing. I used to have 5 Mbps a few years ago, currently at 10 Mbps. 5 Mbps download is like the minimum you want for HD quality streaming. The more the better, because their might be 1 or more users on at any one time. If you are the sole user, then you won't have to fight over bandwidth. I'm a heavy internet user and 10 Mbps is enough if I don't mind waiting for stuff to download. It all depends if you have to consume your content then and there or at a later date. If its at a later date you can slide by with a slower connection. I'll be upgrading my internet to 90 Mbps soon :P

Are there any ISPs in your area that don't have bandwidth caps? That's my biggest concern.

Most that either charge more or have contracts. I have 50mbps now and that's the only thing I miss when I move.