[Build Log] Blue's New MACHINE!

BluePanda

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It was warm enough today to start the "fuck ford" tradition in which I work on my car and constantly make profane remarks at ford...

Today I fixed the blower fan which has been squeaking for the last few months (and not just due to cold) -- I'm tired of blasting my face with heat to keep it from making noise. Had to take out the glove box to remove the blower, lube the shit out of it, and awkwardly replace it. I'm feeling Ford techs have a maximum size requirement to be able to work on stupid things like this. Waco would not have fit will...

I also fixed my window cranks...again. Bad design of cranks-- but I can't blame ford for these. These were a replacement for the ghetto solution the previous owner used...also known as GLUE (which means fixing things internal required destruction of such glued on handles.

So curse Ford, and CURSE the dumb-ass previous owner(s). 

I used to thank them as I took my dash out to replace the POS heater core in my 86 mustang. Without AC its a 15 minute job. With AC........8  f--king hours and a discharge of the R12 refrigerant just to pull the air box down.  

Normally I have a really good laugh at the pain caused by Ford engineers, but GM/Isuzu will be getting me one day when I get around to fixing the leaky water pump on my Duramax.  Edge of the harmonic balancer is about 1/2" over one of the bolts meaning it has to be removed along with 50% of the front of the truck unless you're the size of a 12 yr old (I very much am not). GM payed out 8-8.5 hrs of labor for warranty work depending the the year of the truck so yeah...not too easy. For now I shall stick to topping it off with coolant when it complains (anywhere from every 1500 miles in the winter to not leaking more than a few drops at a time all last summer) unless it gets worse or temps start to rise, I have an 04 with an LLY Duramax so by far the most prone to overheating version out there.

Come to think of it the back 3 spark plugs in a V6 Chevy Corsica (grandma had one) were a bit of a pain as they were between the engine and the firewall so you had to do the job blind. Also I replaced the blower motor in my 94 Silverado once, that was about the same experience as BluePanda's just a LITTLE more room for me to work in.

Normally I have a really good laugh at the pain caused by Ford engineers, but GM/Isuzu will be getting me one day when I get around to fixing the leaky water pump on my Duramax.  Edge of the harmonic balancer is about 1/2" over one of the bolts meaning it has to be removed along with 50% of the front of the truck unless you're the size of a 12 yr old (I very much am not). GM payed out 8-8.5 hrs of labor for warranty work depending the the year of the truck so yeah...not too easy. For now I shall stick to topping it off with coolant when it complains (anywhere from every 1500 miles in the winter to not leaking more than a few drops at a time all last summer) unless it gets worse or temps start to rise, I have an 04 with an LLY Duramax so by far the most prone to overheating version out there.

Come to think of it the back 3 spark plugs in a V6 Chevy Corsica (grandma had one) were a bit of a pain as they were between the engine and the firewall so you had to do the job blind. Also I replaced the blower motor in my 94 Silverado once, that was about the same experience as BluePanda's just a LITTLE more room for me to work in.

I've found most transverse-mounted V-#'s are always a bitch to do plugs. Which is why I shutter when I see/have to work on one...

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I really luck out, I always read about people wanting to destroy the car from how hard it is to fix.

I have a nice balance, I have a car guy with lots of electronics he knows nothing about or how to fix,

and I have cars I treat like garbage with no automotive repair ability.

Works out amazing! I suggest you find one!

Ugh...window crank broke on the drovers side again. Had Waco fix it up the last time. Hope he can again. The shitty pot metal the crank turns seems designed to fail. You have to replace the entire crank module to get a new one...

I'm so tired of taking the door panels off...

Yesterday was yard work, today I think shall be shopping and food day...not fix a Ford day. :)