How many people are getting Windows 8?

MJCRO

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

The only way I'll upgrade to Windows 8 is if there is absolutely no other option. I was messing around with it in Future Shop, and it felt like an awkward to use and over-sized smartphone. Fixing things that aren't broken is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Microsoft could have easily streamlined existing features and improved upon weak spots. They didn't have to overhaul the entire OS, but they did anyway.

Edited by Miek

Yeah that's what service packs are for..

Using it in a future shop is not really using it tbh, without using it for at least a week you can't really get a proper read on it.

I will admit that I didn't get an in-depth use, but I was immediately struck at how awkward to use and gaudy it was. Those aren't very good selling points. Compared to Windows 7, Windows 8 feels crippled.

Microsoft could have easily streamlined existing features and improved upon weak spots. They didn't have to overhaul the entire OS, but they did anyway.

I am not sure I agree with this statement. The PC world is growing stale, sorry but that is the simple truth. Hardware is leveling off in performance to the point that the upgrade cycle has moved from 6 months to 3 years. Software has finally begun to move back from fluff to substance but that leaves a lot of existing technology dormant. The OS has not really changed much in 20 years and has not even come close to really embracing the potential of what it can do with the technology it has.

I do agree there are other areas than the interface that could have been fixed, and really should have been. We could use a more effecient file system, or maybe make the core better able to make use of multicore processors. We definitely could use more code optimizations and a streamlining of the OS overall. However the reality is we live in a world of computing, from the consumer perspective, that Apple created, one that is worried about pure style over substance. Windows from that perspective is tired, old amd lame. In a world that wants something new all the time it is an antique that is essentially 20 years old and getting face lifts. Apple has been ever so slowly gaining ground on MS, not due to better products but do to more stylish products. MS had to adpat, had to make a change to stay relevant.

We as techies have a different perspective from the rest of the world and we forget that. We think of the PC as our domain, or haven and the truth is we have blinded ourselves to some fo the realities that must come to pass.

Windows 8 is a MUST move for MS, they have to step forward and do so hard and with both feet in the water, not wading in.

Edited by ComputerEd

Hardware is leveling off in performance to the point that the upgrade cycle has moved from 6 months to 3 years.

uh, what? It's progressing at pretty much the same pace it did a couple years ago.

uh, what? It's progressing at pretty much the same pace it did a couple years ago.

I'd say you're both right. Hardware has indeed been improving at the same rate as usual, but software hasn't kept the same pace to actually utilize that. So Ed's right in that the upgrade cycle has expanded, but not necessarily right about the reason why.

If they spent time looking at the actual OS, other than the interface they would see a very solid upgrade from Windows 7 at the core.

Sure...but don't you think that Bulldozer / Piledriver is a "solid upgrade" from a Phenom II as well? :teehee:

I am even as we speak currently making use of Windows 8 and find it actually much snappier than Windows 7. As for the interface being hard to find things, you just need to take the time to tweak it. I might add you need to do the same thing in 7. Here is a screen shot of my current start screen for Windows 8.

Base%20Screen.jpg

That looks like a massive waste of space to me. I don't want an XBox interface on my PC. I don't use a touchscreen nor do I use a controller to interact with my PC. I don't want an interface designed around that.

I'd say you're both right. Hardware has indeed been improving at the same rate as usual, but software hasn't kept the same pace to actually utilize that. So Ed's right in that the upgrade cycle has expanded, but not necessarily right about the reason why.

Agreed. We have ridiculously powerful machines but lack the software engineers to take advantage of them. Multithreading (let alone serious parallelization) is still a dark art for 99.9% of developers out there. :P

Sure...but don't you think that Bulldozer / Piledriver is a "solid upgrade" from a Phenom II as well? :teehee:

Maybe, the reason I say that is while they have a CPU they say is looking at tomorrow they seem to have forgotten about today. I mean even the new generation is just now barely faster than the Phenom II core to core at the same speed.

That looks like a massive waste of space to me. I don't want an XBox interface on my PC. I don't use a touchscreen nor do I use a controller to interact with my PC. I don't want an interface designed around that.

True but a typical desktop is a lot of wasted space really. I agree that the interface can be an issue for some but the interface is not the whole of the OS.