Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

Forgot to watch the Optimus video until now, some cool UI features and I'm guessing that little pen thing is the integrated screen cap thing or was LG specific?? Other than that it seemed to be a little less responsive (he seemed to have trouble clicking certain things, and there was some more noticeable lag compared to the S3 video...). I'm not seeing what the big deal with that over the S3 is, both seem equally nice from behind a computer screen, maybe if I could play with both in person I could see more of a difference.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

247773_280983765335668_826556454_n.jpg

not sure if this has been said but I have the older version of this phone with the windows 7 and tiles on it, and it's great the best part is that the phone is indestructable. I have dropped it on concrete from 20 feet up, I accidently dragged it behind me on the screen side of the phone across a concrete shop floor I have literaly used it as a hammer before. and there are 0 scratches on the phone. thats the best thing that no one really mentions about it. If you have a opps your still good. Most of the others not so much. I might get a galaxie s3 in a month or 2 just to have one tho cause they are pretty cool phones, but i'm not a big fan of andriod.

Personally I would say F@*k off Iphone 5...I just hate how it's so popular, the features aren't even worth the price. Now i would say compare the Lumia 920 and S3. I have my eyes on the Lumia 920 since it has so many good features such as the 1.5GHz Snapdragon Dual core processor and the high res screen, these features are pretty good and this might be a come back for Nokia :D . I also like the fast booting on Windows Phone...but i'm not a fan of Windows phone but I would give it a go. The S3 seems quite good too...My attention is directed to the Lumia 920.

I believe people should give Nokia a chance...

Anyways just my opinion :D

You forgot to mention the [insert Android phone here] doesn't need iTunes

Ya I realized that as I was driving home Friday. Also realized I forgot another Pro or two for the S3. Though in fairness I forgot some Pros for the iphone as well. Anyway, it wasn't meant to be a definitive list ...only to prove both phones are very solid phones. That is what makes this decision extremely hard because both phones have a nice set of strengths as well as some disadvantages I'm not crazy about. So of course the obvious answer is to go with the phone where the strengths best match my needs but each phone provides something I want really bad and doesn't have something I want really bad. And since I will be locked in for 2 years it makes the decision tougher.

Fogel, where did you draw the conclusion that the battery life was better on the iPhone 5? I looked it up, google says otherwise. Also I think the Super Amoled screen on the GS III is better, especially with the higher res.

Multiple sources. Friend with the S3 says he has to charge his phone every day but could probably squeek 2 days with minimal use. Friend with the IP5 says he has gotten 3 days with texting, web browsing, and app use. CNET has reported its findings with battery on both phones. GSMArena, which I linked in the post you are responding to, reported battery life on the S3 sporting ICS as well as with JB ...which provided a good upgrade. GSMArena also reported battery life for the IP5 ...as well as benchmarks on speed tests.

As I said before, driving a 4.8" display isn't an easy thing to do..

Exactly what all the reviews say. Should be interesting how the Galaxy Note II does, especially since it is advertising better battery life than the S3.

Forgot to watch the Optimus video until now, some cool UI features and I'm guessing that little pen thing is the integrated screen cap thing or was LG specific?? Other than that it seemed to be a little less responsive (he seemed to have trouble clicking certain things, and there was some more noticeable lag compared to the S3 video...). I'm not seeing what the big deal with that over the S3 is, both seem equally nice from behind a computer screen, maybe if I could play with both in person I could see more of a difference.

Ya the lag was very dissapointing to see especially since the Optimus G has the best specs of all the phones mentioned in this thread. You could argue the IP5 has the worst specs and yet it is faster both in responsiveness and in benchmarks. The Nokia Lumia 920 looks to be very responsive as well. Shame it isn't running Android.

After watching the video on the LG Optimus G my interest level dropped big time. It went from being top cotender to debatable. I do like the options it has though, such being able to watch a movie and do other things at the same time. It is a nice looking phone too. Though being an LG phone isn't a good sign (my current phone is LG) and neither is that lag. So that put the S3 and Verizon higher on the map.

(Nokia vs IP5 image)

not sure if this has been said but I have the older version of this phone with the windows 7 and tiles on it, and it's great the best part is that the phone is indestructable. I have dropped it on concrete from 20 feet up, I accidently dragged it behind me on the screen side of the phone across a concrete shop floor I have literaly used it as a hammer before. and there are 0 scratches on the phone. thats the best thing that no one really mentions about it. If you have a opps your still good. Most of the others not so much. I might get a galaxie s3 in a month or 2 just to have one tho cause they are pretty cool phones, but i'm not a big fan of andriod.

The sad thing is the more those types of pictures come out the more it shows the iPhone being king. Where is the 920 vs S3 image?

The Nokia does look like a really nice phone though, but I'll combine my thoughts on it for the response to the next guy talking about it.

Personally I would say F@*k off Iphone 5...I just hate how it's so popular, the features aren't even worth the price. Now i would say compare the Lumia 920 and S3. I have my eyes on the Lumia 920 since it has so many good features such as the 1.5GHz Snapdragon Dual core processor and the high res screen, these features are pretty good and this might be a come back for Nokia :D . I also like the fast booting on Windows Phone...but i'm not a fan of Windows phone but I would give it a go. The S3 seems quite good too...My attention is directed to the Lumia 920.

I believe people should give Nokia a chance...

Anyways just my opinion :D

Your opinion is most definitley valuable, but if you read the first post I don't subscribe to blind hate. I used to follow all the popular hate trains like a good little sheep pretending it was those with a different point of view that were the actual sheep. Then I snapped and asked myself why "hate" a product, service, or tv show I have had very little interaction with (or in some obscure cases, none at all)? That is a lot of misdirected hate. I may go back into that mode at some point, but right now I don't subscribe to blind hate. If someone wants to defend their purchase, by all means. If someone says they tried X and didn't like it one bit, by all means say why. But I'm getting to the point to where I'm finding the blind hate more despicable than the blind fanboys.

That rant isn't soley directed at you, but your first sentence reminded me of all the hatred I been seeing while researching this and its been annoying me. Sadly the Android fanboys are the worst.

That aside, I do agree with you on the Lumia 920. The hardware looks brilliant. The responsiveness and smoothness rival the IP5, and the specs on the Lumia are VERY, very nice. I like how the screen alone will beat the IP5's touted "retina display". There is only three problems with the Nokia and sadly they are deal breakers. It is a Windows 8 phone and I just don't like that tile design - my personal taste. Because it is a W8 phone it will have very limited app support. Granted whatever I pick will be my first smart phone (got a lame LG phone at the moment) but a smartphone lacking on apps seems counter intiutive. The third problem is it will be AT&T only supposedly here in the U.S.

If the Nokia Lumia 920 was available for all the major carriers and there was an Android version I would definitely go Nokia because it definitely looks like it is going to be an awesome phone!

Because it is a W8 phone it will have very limited app support.

Not sure what apps you would want that aren't on Windows phone. Sadly from my experiences Windows phones are much better then the rest, although I would put the Old Blackberry Java OS Up there with it. Windows phone runs smotth and fast, HARD REST never have had to once with my windows phone. My IPhone4 had to get a Hard Reset constantly, oh noez BT locked up hard reset, oh noez pandora stopped working hard reset, oh noez whats the point is having all that crap if it don't work? Android seem to have some the same issues, I will say i have and older andriod unit so mabye they are better now, but I found it highly annoying to have to constantly be reconnecting it to wifi and bt or hard reseting it alot. They are likely better now then they were, but because of that horrid experience I personaly won't bother with android again. The point is people are adicted to the apps as companies like to call it, when 95% of them just push data from online sites. Why pay for an app when you can goto its web site and use the service free? What better way then with a phone with IE? All I want my phone to do is work like it is supposed to or is advertised to. Apple Sorry they don't, they do try though, I fundamentally disagree with their shady buisness practices as well. Siri was a cool app that was free, but since they wanted to make it a feature of the 4s they disabeled the app on everyone elses phones and made you buy a new phone if you still wanted the app. oh well to bad they lost my buisness forever.

In the end it's about being happy, and as long as your happy with your phone thats what matters. I have had bad luck with most phones, every windows phone i have had has been awesome to say the least, so I stick with what works for me. Just thought I would clarify why I say the Nokia phone was awesome.

I also find as you stated you can't debate with fanboys, they will only argue once side of the fence without ever even tring other things first and imho thats just wrong. It's like how do you know you don't like the way green beans taste if you have never tried them, they could be the best beans in the world. ;)

blabla

I want a phone that PHONE (with some calendars and basic apps like calc, conversor, etc.)

a videocamera that records

an mp3 player that play mp3

a portable console that rox gaming

no more discussion.. everybody happy with their phone.. crap of new, 4 core 1 core, no processor, rabbit processor, usb, iee1955 firewi0rd, apple, samsung, nokia, alcatel, motorola, rubbygommy, if u are happy then be happy! stop arguing what phone is better is a phone goddam.. you're not discussing about a car.. anyway all this discussions leads to nothing but fights because people tend to feel bad if they get their phone flamed so

be good and love :cheers:

In the end it's about being happy, and as long as your happy with your phone thats what matters.

I also find as you stated you can't debate with fanboys, they will only argue once side of the fence without ever even tring other things first and imho thats just wrong. It's like how do you know you don't like the way green beans taste if you have never tried them, they could be the best beans in the world. ;)

I agree, it is all about finding what works for you. That is exactly why I don't like the blind fanboyism or hatred. If you got something that works for you, awesome, continue on. If you have something that doesn't work, than get something else and fix it. Seems easy to me. I don't get why people have to prove the competition sucks to justify their purchase.

You at least found what works for you. I'm coming from a dumb phone so the only experience I have with any of the smart phones is playing around with my friends and what they have in the store. There is something I like about all the phones listed here, which is why I listed them and is also why it is taking so long to decide. If I was biased it would be an easy decision. ;)

blabla

This topic was NOT started to debate. It was started because I am unhappy with my current dumb phone and I am in the market for a smart phone. Since I went to a bunch of websites to research I figured I would compile what I found into 1 topic in case anyone else is in the same position I am. Discussion broke out and as the topic originator I am ok with that. If people want to list why they like their phone that is perfectly welcome. Only thing I do not want to encourage is hate. There is already plenty of that on the web, we don't need it in this topic too.

...sorry if i gave the wrong impression homie,...i have only at&t connectivity hate, all else is open for discussion, and frankly i could use the education...

...sorry if i gave the wrong impression homie,...i have only at&t connectivity hate, all else is open for discussion, and frankly i could use the education...

Oh no, no, no you were fine. I found your posts very helpful. Like I said, if you try something and there are things you you don't like by all means state it. I just don't like it when an Apple fanboy says all droid sucks or when a Droid fanboy says all Apple sucks because usually that is all they have to say and have no good reasons to support the claims.

You have had experience with service providers that I don't and you travel all around, so your outlook on that is very useful. At first I was trying to narrow it down to the phone and pick on that and just deal with the service since it seems all services have some good points to them and it was looking like all the others were cheaper than Verizon. I don't know if I waited too many years before jumping on the smart phone bandwagon or what but they all appear to have the same price now. :erm:

So coverage and reliability are now included with this decision since there is no obvious price breaks.