NVIDIA GTX 660Ti Reviewed

Bosco

Did you not see the Surround tests in the review?

Besides - would you rather they leave them off so you could complain about that instead? :lol:

I don't get the hate. This card is by far the best bang-for-buck at $310...yet everyone is complaining about the price.

I'm a rare exception since I got my 7950 at $320 :P but yeah, one can do worse with this. I just see it being a lower resolution card.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still don't get why Nvidia decides to enable Tri-SLI when even a single 660ti was meant to take anything thrown at it in 1080p. :dunno:

2560x1600? Surround? 3DVision?

Maybe if you're planning on running 3D at 5760x1080. :P

Time to run some SLI testing in surround and see where this card is crippled! I think that at 1920x1080 it crushes the 7870 which was at its price point and above for non reference cards. At 1920 x1080 it plays everything at high settings and is priced better than the 7870 non reference cards? I think some just need something to vent about as a means to create controversy out of nothing.

Did you not see the Surround tests in the review?

Besides - would you rather they leave them off so you could complain about that instead? :lol:

I don't get the hate. This card is by far the best bang-for-buck at $310...yet everyone is complaining about the price.

Yes and it's quite impressive really, considering the limited bus and Vram. But all-in-all, the 7950 still beats it in surround settings. It'd be interesting how it competes with the 'updated' 7950s..

It's not as much of a hate as it is a disappointment.. I mean sure $310 is still considerably cheaper than the 670/7950 but I don't know, hitting the $300 line just seems pricey to me when it's more targeted towards gamers. I'd like it to be priced similar to that of the 560ti/460... For the record, even the 7870 was a tad overpriced IMO..

Let's put it this way: at $300 it's a killer of a card and I'd greatly consider it when I'm going to build a new, more powerful/up-to-date rig. But if it was priced at $250, hell I'd grab one as soon as it hits the stores and slap it to my rig ASAP..

Edit:

2560x1600? Surround? 3DVision?

Yes, Tri-SLI would/could be necessary when gaming at a higher res than 1080p. But what I meant was, with those memory specs, I'd imagine that it'd 'pull-down' the 'true' potential of the card at higher res. So IMO it's pointless to SLI the card when the memory situation could negatively impact the performance even when SLIed. I hope you get what I'm writing as it is late here and I can't think of what to write to clearly explain what I meant

I forgot about 3D vision.. But is Tri-SLI really necessary to make 3D vision playable? (At least on this card)

Edited by vandreadstriker

Yeah, that is pretty bad. I'm sure you'll have your 560Ti rebranded to a 660 non-Ti (go how I HATE having to say this :glare:) soon enough, they might even add an extra $20 because of that higher number :lol:

Yeah, because that Fermi architecture will work just fine around all the Kepler ones for the mid to high-end gear. :rolleyes:

Time to run some SLI testing in surround and see where this card is crippled! I think that at 1920x1080 it crushes the 7870 which was at its price point and above for non reference cards. At 1920 x1080 it plays everything at high settings and is priced better than the 7870 non reference cards? I think some just need something to vent about as a means to create controversy out of nothing.

Exactly! Only one way to see if there will even be any "crippling" like some are going on about. The performance of the 660Ti is most certainly there, no questions about that. So what if the price isn't exactly what everyone wants. It fits into a market (at least in North America) in between the GTX 670 and the AMD competition while delivering performance closer to the high-end AMD parts. Why the hate?

SWEET, this will put this bloodbath to rest!! I will gladly shut my trap if shown real proof!

Yeah, because that Fermi architecture will work just fine around all the Kepler ones for the mid to high-end gear. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Only one way to see if there will even be any "crippling" like some are going on about. The performance of the 660Ti is most certainly there, no questions about that. So what if the price isn't exactly what everyone wants. It fits into a market (at least in North America) in between the GTX 670 and the AMD competition while delivering performance closer to the high-end AMD parts. Why the hate?

What? You don't think Nvidia is low enough to do it yet again??

I'm just hating on the 660Ti's potential SLI performance hold back on higher resolutions where SLI'd actually be necessary...but it's not new beef as it's the same problem I have with the 670/680 but the crippled bus might show it's ugly face earlier. It's a swell *single* card for ~1080P resolutions...

SWEET, this will put this bloodbath to rest!! I will gladly shut my trap if shown real proof!

What? You don't think Nvidia is low enough to do it yet again??

you mean like how AMD has been re-branding the same design from generation to generation but its only nvidia you would have a problem with if they done it?

http://www.techpowerup.com/132459/AMD-Rebranding-HD-5770-and-HD-5750-to-HD-6700-Series.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-rebrands-radeon-6670-to-7670/

http://videocardz.com/30148/amd-continues-rebranding-hd6000-to-hd7000-series-five-graphics-cards-released

And these are pretty much exact re-brands with nothing added, completely identical. The 5000 series to 7000series. Is AMD "low enough" for you now? Or is it your only looking to go after nvidia?

nvidia hasnt re-branded a card for the 600 series, you can put the pitchfork down.

As far as rebranding goes, i dont get all the fuss. Not only is it done all the time *by both nvidia and AMD*, its also pretty much happens in the CPU world too. There are straight re-brands and then some tweaked designs with/without die shrinks. I openly welcome the tweaked rebrands, its nice to see architectures evolve. If the design is still competitive in the bracket it will be sold in, how can this really be so terrible? Good designs are good designs.

I really dont see what all the fuss is about in the first place. But if your gonna fuss, why go after nvidia when AMD is the only company using re-brands in their current line up?

Edited by ocre

Nvidia didn't rebrand for the 600 series? What about the GT 610, GT 620 and the GT 630?

Rebranding invasion: GeForce GT 610, 620 and 630

It looks like there are more on the wikipedia:

The GeForce 605 (OEM) card is a rebranded GeForce 510.

The GeForce GT 610 card is a rebranded GeForce GT 520.

The GeForce GT 620 (OEM) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 520.

The GeForce GT 620 card is a rebranded GeForce GT 530.

The GeForce GT 630 (DDR3) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 540 (DDR3).

The GeForce GT 630 (GDDR5) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 540 (GDDR5).

The GeForce GT 640 (OEM) card is a rebranded GeForce GT 545 (DDR3).

The GeForce GT 645 (OEM) card is a rebranded GeForce GTX 560 SE.

Link Wikipedia

Even if the 6750/6770 is a rebrand of the 5750/5770, I have heard that they scale better in crossfire anyway.

I kind of understands all this hating on the 660 TI. After seeing in the Tom's Hardware that the 660 ti isn't MUCH better than the HD 7870 and is more expensive in some cases (like here in Portugal)... I think that if it were $50 cheaper like I have read in other places, most people wouldn't have a doubt to go for it. Another thing is the bus and other things that make 660 ti worse at higher resolutions and in SLI.

Another thing is, at least here in Portugal this happens, the 7950 is about the same price or even cheaper than the GTX 660 ti, so it doesn't make much sense to get the 660 TI at all. Well, where I usually buy my hardware, I can buy a brand new Asus HD 7950 DirectCU II by the same price of a GTX 660 TI DirectCu II.

Edited by XtremeDS

you mean like how AMD has been re-branding the same design from generation to generation but its only nvidia you would have a problem with if they done it?

http://www.techpowerup.com/132459/AMD-Rebranding-HD-5770-and-HD-5750-to-HD-6700-Series.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-rebrands-radeon-6670-to-7670/

http://videocardz.com/30148/amd-continues-rebranding-hd6000-to-hd7000-series-five-graphics-cards-released

And these are pretty much exact re-brands with nothing added, completely identical. The 5000 series to 7000series. Is AMD "low enough" for you now? Or is it your only looking to go after nvidia?

I'm not denying that AMD does this and I'm don't think that I'm not sour about them too, hence why I don't support anyone buying those particular rebrands. Even if anyone I know is looking to get one, then I just point them to the original, much cheaper, version.

I never said AMD didn't do that now did I :rolleyes: (both companies are low for this), I simply was stating a trend I saw with the GTX#60 cards and that I think they should stop doing rebrands in the highperformance/high priced area of products and just have them start this generation with no 560 rebrands and single versions of a particular trim or in other words no GTX660 1GB or SE models etc.. (Yes this IS Nvidia specific ;) )

nvidia hasnt re-branded a card for the 600 series, you can put the pitchfork down.

As far as rebranding goes, i dont get all the fuss. Not only is it done all the time *by both nvidia and AMD*, its also pretty much happens in the CPU world too. There are straight re-brands and then some tweaked designs with/without die shrinks. I openly welcome the tweaked rebrands, its nice to see architectures evolve. If the design is still competitive in the bracket it will be sold in, how can this really be so terrible? Good designs are good designs.

I really dont see what all the fuss is about in the first place. But if your gonna fuss, why go after nvidia when AMD is the only company using re-brands in their current line up?

Nvidia didn't rebrand for the 600 series? What about the GT 610, GT 620 and the GT 630?

Rebranding invasion: GeForce GT 610, 620 and 630

It looks like there are more on the wikipedia:

Link Wikipedia

Even if the 6750/6770 is a rebrand of the 5750/5770, I have heard that they scale better in crossfire anyway.

:withstupid: I would have posted it up but you beat me to it. The lower end and OEM cards are almost always rebranded/tweaked versions by both sides, that doesn't make it ok.