Catleap advice.

So the other day I watched a youtube video from motherboards.org and Elric mentioned something about a catleap monitor and how people have been having issues with them, however, the consensus seemed to be that they were cheap high end monitors.

So I looked it up and for 300 bucks I might consider trying to see if I can't get one myself. However, I am not so sure that is a worth while investment or the risk.

Currently I have a samsung 24 inch monitor that is running at 1920x1200. I do like it a lot, but probably not as much as I would like a 27 inch monitor running at 2560x1440.

I am wondering if it is even worth it to upgrade (keep in mind I wouldn't be spending a whole lot of money on the monitor after I sell my old one, so don't worry about the price factor)

What is the quality like?

And lastly, if anyone has had any nightmares with the monitor.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23291 read, and absorb. The dude's VERY detailed on the monitor (I know it's not the exact Catleap but I'm sure you're working with nearly identical underlying components with a different name slapped on)

Note that you'd need to upgrade your graphics card more often if you had it as games would be more stressful, food for thought. His didn't have HDCP, I'm not sure if the Catleap does or if you care but those were only reasons I'm sort of on edge about getting one.

I was going to buy one, but I found IPS monitors on eBay even cheaper. I will buy one for a main monitor but I will wait until they are sold in the states first. 1st rule is eBay is never buy internationally.

1st rule is eBay is never buy internationally.

Normally I would agree with you 100%. But this Korean monitor movement has been going on pretty publicly since at least February of this year. Again, referring back to links noted in earlier posts there is a wealth of information on the panels and the vendors themselves. At this point there are at minimum almost 400 buyers in one forum community alone. All purchased from international eBay vendors. And surprisingly the experience has been excellent for the most part.

I'll refer you to an ongoing poll;

Acheiva / Catleap Poll

Two international vendors are consistently in the 99%+ customer satisfaction category;

TA-Planet

Accessories Warehouse

See I am going to be getting a job at best buy pretty soon, and I really would like to get something similar to a professional monitor. I do a lot of photo editing, and I have to use our family computers screen because my screen doesn't portray color correctly. Even still, it is kind of guess work when it comes to trying to adjust the saturation and hue of my pics.

There have been only been two occasions where I have seen a screen get the colors right. One was on a samsung series 9 screen which is WAY too expensive, and the other was on my neighbors iMac.

What really caught my attention on these catleap monitors was that they were basically apple monitors. So I am really hopping this thing turns out to be a good deal.

The only question I have is if anyone knows of a Korean monitor that is 2560x1600 30 inch S-IPS for cheap?

I think Waco has one coming in soon enough and I think Puck or someone already has one

Yes, I have had the PCBank 2700 S version of the display for about two and a half months now, it rated slightly higher response and contrast then the Catleaps but with a worse stand. I got the Pixel Perfect version from seller "Green-sum" for like 300 bucks and I am extremely happy with it - not a SINGLE dead or stuck pixel verified with online test patterns. He had the highest feedback rating, and I am glad I went with him because it truly is a pixel perfect monitor. Still no OSD, just volume and brightness buttons on the bottom, and a only a dual link DVI connector and 3.5mm input. No VGA or HDMI. Here is my quick review I posted in the 60 page thread on OCN about them:

My Pixel Perfect S-IPS from Green-sum arrived today, and happily has NO dead pixels, dust spots, or scratches. The picture is flawless, with no hued spots or dead/stuck pixels. I got it for just under 300 shipped, and it got here blazing fast - from S. Korea to FL in 4 days.

Downside is that the included stand is JUNK. Mine slowly creeps under its own weight. Not a huge deal since my desk is tall and I need it down low anyway, but definitely worth mentioning that you have a chance of getting a stand that is nearly useless. I plan to run a different stand anyway, so again not a terribly huge deal for me. The bezel also feels quite cheap, and the buttons as well.

Out of 100 I would rate it:

Performance: 95+ - colors are superb with no dead spots and minimal backlight bleeding. No electrical noises and stable picture.

Build Quality: 80 - Bezel is not uneven and the seams are all close together, but the plastic is thin and feels cheap. Included stand is garbage, and the buttons are flimsy as well.

Features: 75 - DVI...and DVI :lol:. No HDMI or VGA on my model. Two headphone jacks that I am assuming are Line In/Headphone, but didnt even check - I am terrified to hear the included speakers, and can't imagine them being anywhere near good. Included adapter was fine for 120v, just needed to replace the end cable with a standard monitor Female 3-prong one.

Overall I am very satisfied for the price.

Keep in mind you need a healthy GPU setup to run modern games at high settings at 2560x1440 res!

Keep in mind you need a healthy GPU setup to run modern games at high settings at 2560x1440 res!

Yeup! I have the GTX 670 so I am good there.

Actually that bring up another good point. Does anyone know how to see what the GPU memory usage is for a particular game? I have skyrim maxed out and extremely modified, so I have no clue how much VRAM I am using and I am concerned I am pushing my Vram to it's limits at 1920x1200 which would sort of make getting a high res monitor a pointless effort.

Yes, I have had the PCBank 2700 S version of the display for about two and a half months now, it rated slightly higher response and contrast then the Catleaps but with a worse stand. I got the Pixel Perfect version from seller "Green-sum" for like 300 bucks and I am extremely happy with it - not a SINGLE dead or stuck pixel verified with online test patterns. He had the highest feedback rating, and I am glad I went with him because it truly is a pixel perfect monitor. Still no OSD, just volume and brightness buttons on the bottom, and a only a dual link DVI connector and 3.5mm input. No VGA or HDMI. Here is my quick review I posted in the 60 page thread on OCN about them:

Do you have any HDCP enabled hardware you can test to see what happens when you run them on there?? Also would an HDMI-DVI-D Adapter work for the monitor if I ever wanted to hook my PS3 up to it ghettoly

Do you have any HDCP enabled hardware you can test to see what happens when you run them on there?? Also would an HDMI-DVI-D Adapter work for the monitor if I ever wanted to hook my PS3 up to it ghettoly

I have a PS3, but would need to hunt down my adapter to test it. Since it does not have native HDMI, and is a native 2560x1440 screen with only dual link DVI input, I do not know if it will take a native 1080 signal from an HDMI converted to single link DVI.

I will try to test it tomorrow for you though :).