Best free Anti Virus

slick2500

Trust me it is those noises and pop ups which make it my choice for the technically challenged members of my family. They get nice colored boxes and know when to call me for help and know how to follow my directions because it is simply and logically set up.

But MSE you just set it and forget it :huh: , what's harder then being able to click on the "scan" button everytime the little green icon turns yellow lol (assuming autoscans don't happen)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But MSE you just set it and forget it :huh: , what's harder then being able to click on the "scan" button everytime the little green icon turns yellow lol (assuming autoscans don't happen)

Auto scans happen, virus database updates automatically, when a blue box shows up they know how to update the actual software themselves, if it goes red they know somethings happened and the instructions that come up are easy to follow.

Best of all they know how to set it to do boot time scans every so often. It's integration into windows means they can easily tell it to scan removable devices every time they plug them in. I have finally gotten them into the habit of doing that. It is amazing some of the things they bring back from school.

In regards to schools and viruses I installed avast on a school laptop that was running shit (and only had windows defender which had never run a scan) set a boot time scan and it crashed at 978 infected files, 18% complete, virus chest full, made me laugh so hard.

i just can't recall from which site where i got this link to EICAR. i want to share it for those who haven't heard of it.

they have these set of file strings for you to test if your anti-virus program works. those files aren't actually viruses(as what EICAR stated, but you should take it at your own risk :evilgrin: )

and yes i did! Avast! free edition blocked 'em so far. although the MS Windows defender caught those 2 zipped files ahead with my Avast :rolleyes: , no big deal tho :thumbsup:

you can find the test strings HERE if you want to try it out. just click those files then see how your AV reacts/works.

Edited by sword_fish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally use AVG due to having a number of ussues while running MSE on my system, in which due to it's lack of real-time protection, the virus managed to disable the service that ran the AV software. Took me 5 hours to resolve, after which point I went straight back to AVG and it's active threat detection.

I must also say that I have never used Avast, however

im so pro, i dont even use an antivirus, as long as you dont download dodgy files i dont see a reason why a comp could get a virus really.

if i would reccomend 1..or 2 it would be either panda or antivir avira.

Edited by WarWeeny

im so pro, i dont even use an antivirus, as long as you dont download dodgy files i dont see a reason why a comp could get a virus really.

Using internet explorer. If it isn't a virus itself, then it distributes enough of them.