Best free Anti Virus

slick2500

Like the title says I want to know what the best freely available anti virus is, and not Microsoft Security Essentials, because I just got done doing a reformat because not only did it not see the Trojan but the Trojan just straight up disabled it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i highly recommend comodo internet security premium , im using it on my old slow butt laptop at the mo and its brilliant !! , its a bit confusing at first trying to set up but you get into it very easily . it outclasses avg and such like by miles and i know because I've tried just about all of them lol . hope this helps :)

I swear by Avast, AVG is better in terms of less false reports with both of them correctly scanning the same percentage of infected files. It is just that I much prefer the layout of avast, much more friendly and it is easy for me to instruct less tech savey family and relatives on how to set boot time scans etc.

I had some issues with Comodo's AV in the past and how it behaved with my laptop's tablet functionality, so I don't use it anymore (though I do use their firewall). AVG and MSE are what I currently use and aside from two issues with AVG, they're great. For some reason AVG doesn't like Comodo, so whenever there is a major update to AVG (which there was recently) you have to uninstall Comodo before AVG will install. They run fine together, but if AVG sees it's installed, it stops.

The other issue is just weird. I use to have both MSE and AVG set to scan the computer every night. The scheduled AVG scan recently though would take unbelievably long for no reason, and I do mean no reason. With identical settings, a manually started AVG scan takes less time than the scheduled scan (we're talking from maybe an hour and a half for the manual scan to complete and 7+ hours before I just stop the scheduled scan). No clue what could cause this, but all it means is I can't have AVG regularly scan my computer as well as MSE.

and not Microsoft Security Essentials

For what it's worth Slick, no antivirus is going to catch everything and MSE is still very good considering how fast it is, it's small footprint, and that it's free. Please find another AV if you want to, I don't want to discourage that at all, I just don't want MSE to be hated too much.

For what it's worth Slick, no antivirus is going to catch everything and MSE is still very good considering how fast it is, it's small footprint, and that it's free. Please find another AV if you want to, I don't want to discourage that at all, I just don't want MSE to be hated too much.

pretty much, yup ! +1