Deciding on a Macbook Air

Queenz

Been wanting to get a laptop for a while now. I'll admit I never had a laptop before. I've always used desktops because I'm an enthusiast just like the rest of you :thumbsup:. This will be my first time actually owning one lol. And really I never been an Apple guy when it comes to computers. It wasn't until I was in the Apple area in Microcenter that I realized I love the Macbook Air. It just looks amazing!

Here is what I'm looking for in a laptop:

Web browsing

Email

Music

very very light gaming

Ultra thin design

Lightweight

Good battery life

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0370579

Trying to keep it at a $1k budget. I just need it to do my hw on for school and carry to class to take notes and such. Watch Youtube, browse, etc. Maybe some very light gaming once and a while like Diablo 3. Suggestions?

By the way I see that it comes with 2 gb of RAM. Was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the RAM on a Macbook Air? I only see tutorials on how to upgrade the RAM on a Pro but not Air. I'm also want to install Windows 7 on it too and dual boot.

i think a macbook air or macbook pro 13" would do you good....

i think 2GB would be the minimum...but even with that...it can still run Win7 better than a lot of laptops... :evilgrin:

edit :you may even be able to get a better spec second hand...they haven't changed much in the last 2 generations(macbook pro)

Edited by Il_napoletano

Personally I won't choose an ultrabook if I'd want to game on it, even once in a while..

That aside, I think you're much better off with an ASUS Zenbook instead. Same or lower price then the MBA while having better specs (i7 + 4GB RAM)

:cheers:

also on the air, if you want to upgrade ram (which you cant) and then put win7 on it (also you couldnt fit win7 and osx on a 64gb drive) it would cost you an extra $120, so the zenbook is definitely better, ticks all your boxes and will be cheaper than what you were planning on doing

also on the air, if you want to upgrade ram (which you cant) and then put win7 on it (also you couldnt fit win7 and osx on a 64gb drive) it would cost you an extra $120, so the zenbook is definitely better, ticks all your boxes and will be cheaper than what you were planning on doing

I can say that you can...my friend had osx lion and win7 on dual boot with a 30/30GB partition, because the system is small and then big files(aka movies, music library, big files) on a small external or a pen drive...but the one's you use often you can still have on your HD...:D

personally...My desktops are PC and my laptops are Mac......(prepare for war) :D

I can say that you can...my friend had osx lion and win7 on dual boot with a 30/30GB partition, because the system is small and then big files(aka movies, music library, big files) on a small external or a pen drive...but the one's you use often you can still have on your HD...:D

personally...My desktops are PC and my laptops are Mac......(prepare for war) :D

What's the point of getting an all in one pos if it isn't really an all in one pos but rather just a pos?

Why the hellwould I want to carry around external storage media and why the hell would I want a laptop with less storage than the sd card in my camera?

That is beyond retarded IMO. I think I will stick with my more than gaming capeable laptop that can run Skyrim on nearly max graphics and high res textures at 45+ fps that has a 2.0GHz i7 and 8GB of RAM a 256GB SSD and a 750GB backup drive when I bother to get the HDD caddy to replace the op drive.

With 4usb ports, two headphone jacks, mic, hd web cam, ethernet, VGA and hdmi out something a Mac can't have without an add on. Battery life that is at 8hours of streaming music on YouTube while web surfing.

A price of $800 + $350 for replacent high capacity battery and SSD.

Actually know wait I do want to spend $1200 on a unibody pos with a 2.0GHz i3 and 2GB or RAM, 60GB storage, 2usb ports and no dedicated graphics because my laptop doesn't have a light up apple on the back.

/rant :lol: haha I can never and have never been able to see how macs have ever sold my sister is getting driven insane by the one the school forced her to but at ridiculously over inflated prices plus insurance plus another sum of money in the future if she wants to keep it. Which means 150% of the rrp of the Mac spent to get and then keep the thing when for only 80% of the rrp of what she got she could have gotten something much better and also then gotten Microsoft office which the school refused to get for students :-/

my dad picked up a mac air a month ago, for under a $1000 they carrier the i5 and 8gb of ram. that's not bad for being like 2pounds. even though i don't like macs very much the mac air (new model) is a winner because it's light, powerful. windows is just bulky and eats battery life for no reason. personally since I am poor i own a $300 laptop but if i had the cash either i would get the ultra books or the mac air. both are made for on the go web browsing and watching movies.