NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

I don't care about a lot of drivers being released, I just want ones that are functional. As it stands, there hasn't been a driver from 2012 that has worked properly for me except for the 12.2 preview. The 12.2 Pre-cert and 12.2 WHQL are the worst bugged. They completely corrupt Skyrim with AA (which is on be default at the higher settings). I've been getting some crashes with CCC as well, and on EVERY bootup it starts a command line window with the AMD logo that says "AMD Device Install". :dunno:

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/8c/600x310px-LL-8c8beb74_amly.jpeg

I have a thread about the problems with the 12.2 pre-certs (bit for bit identical to the WHQL). I have had problems in past as well, it is on and off, but this has been pretty bad. I sincerly feel bad for people that have Crossfire though. From what I've heard, that is where the crap really hits the fan with the drivers.

I have to 100% agree with Bosco that the AMD drivers are garbage compared to nVidias. I have a 9800GTX (I had a second in SLI before I gave it to my Dad) that I keep the drivers up to date for and I have had ZERO problems since I got it in 2008, single or SLI.

Still, I am willing to put up with the AMD drivers if I get a good deal on the card itself. I actually follow Andrew D on Twitter to see info on driver updates. In fact I have a bookmark in Chrome for his page. Thats a testament to how much I am constantly hoping for a decent driver release lol.

I've had a flicker appear whenever I first log in to Windows. Been there since the 11.10 drivers or so, maybe a bit before. Haven't switched to the 12.2s yet, but if that flicker is the one that got fixed, I just may.

Do you mean something that looks kind of like fast horizontal screen tearing when then it fades from black to the desktop after you log in? If thats the case, I swear I have that from day 1 on my HD 5870 & my laptop's HD 3410 on Win 7. My 9800GTX doesn't have that, its a smooth fading affect from the log on screen to black, to the desktop. I've actually never thought too much about that. :erm:

I wonder what causes it.

Bosco same clocks v 7970 and eyefinity 1v1 please! Jim don't resist Bosco, he can do stuff sad.gif

Why would you even want to see that? Downclock the faster card?

Do you mean something that looks kind of like fast horizontal screen tearing when then it fades from black to the desktop after you log in? If thats the case, I swear I have that from day 1 on my HD 5870 & my laptop's HD 3410 on Win 7. My 9800GTX doesn't have that, its a smooth fading affect from the log on screen to black, to the desktop. I've actually never thought too much about that. :erm:

I wonder what causes it.

Yeah, it's like about six or seven quick tears across the screen as soon as I log in to the desktop. I never noticed it before until the 11.10 drivers (or thereabouts) but every driver I've tried since has had the issue. I haven't experienced it on my laptop anyway, but it's running the 11.5 I believe. I don't keep that up to date just because I don't game much on its HD 6310. :lol:

The HD 7970 is still a very capable card, people just don't like how they spent $50 - $100 or more for it, lol.

These people need to get the crap over it. as the video below so rightly states. You pay a price to be the first and the price is usually extra money and not staying on top long. The 7970 is a great card and this release does nopt take away from that. What it does do is offer a better buy in the makret place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Y4s7WbM3c

Why would you even want to see that? Downclock the faster card?

Just wanna see if clocks are the main reason for the ~10-20% extra speed! I would think so the 7970 might not go up that far? I'm impressed when people do reviews like this, like Hexus did with the the three generation comparison :)