NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

I just get so frustrated.

People are spending $500+ on cards with shitty drivers, and for those that buy two cards its like a slap in the face :(

At least they aren't trying to run 3 or 4 very often. Mine were a NIGHTMARE to get working well and scaling was spotty at best. :lol:

Just wanna see if clocks are the main reason for the ~10-20% extra speed! I would think so the 7970 might not go up that far? I'm impressed when people do reviews like this, like Hexus did with the the three generation comparison :)

Why would this impress? First clock speeds are meaningless except within thier own chip set. Oh it might show a tech difference but does that really matter? I mean are you going to look for chips with just the same clock speed to buy or will you buy what is out there? Acomparision like this across the same brand, for example a dropping to see how much better the Kelper is than Fermi would make sense but even that in the end does not really matter all that much since it is not about what you buy. It is a neat academic exercise but really not anything that is that bix of a deal in most cases.

Yeah, it's like about six or seven quick tears across the screen as soon as I log in to the desktop. I never noticed it before until the 11.10 drivers (or thereabouts) but every driver I've tried since has had the issue. I haven't experienced it on my laptop anyway, but it's running the 11.5 I believe. I don't keep that up to date just because I don't game much on its HD 6310. :lol:

Yep, thats what I get too. I usually don't get that many tears though. I just logged off and back on and saw 3 tears.

Hmm... its possible its a recent problem and I never paid close enough attention before, but I swear its been around for longer than that :erm:.

I'm just going out on a limb here, but did you change your connection method to your monitor close to the time you started noticing the tears, say from DVI to HDMI?. I've been on HDMI since I got my 5870.

At least they aren't trying to run 3 or 4 very often. Mine were a NIGHTMARE to get working well and scaling was spotty at best. :lol:

Single cards for the WIN!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Why would this impress? First clock speeds are meaningless except within thier own chip set. Oh it might show a tech difference but does that really matter? I mean are you going to look for chips with just the same clock speed to buy or will you buy what is out there? Acomparision like this across the same brand, for example a dropping to see how much better the Kelper is than Fermi would make sense but even that in the end does not really matter all that much since it is not about what you buy. It is a neat academic exercise but really not anything that is that bix of a deal in most cases.

I said I'M impressed when sites don't follow the normal review path and do some 'special' ones such as the three generation(really 2 and a bit) comparison. Since most people compare clock speeds which IS not very accurate, I wouldn't mind seeing how far away a 7970's performance would be from a 680, plus the speeds are pretty near to each other MHz wise so why not. Kepler seems to be a cut down and done better version of Fermi... Kermi :lol:

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Yep, thats what I get too. I usually don't get that many tears though. I just logged off and back on and saw 3 tears.

Hmm... its possible its a recent problem and I never paid close enough attention before, but I swear its been around for longer than that :erm:.

I'm just going out on a limb here, but did you change your connection method to your monitor close to the time you started noticing the tears, say from DVI to HDMI?. I've been on HDMI since I got my 5870.

I've stayed on DVI the entire time. My monitor doesn't have HDMI. :lol:

If it was there before then I never noticed it, but I know it's been there since last October/November at least. It only happens upon logging in, nowhere else.

@Dan, like it's been said, clock speeds are pretty irrelevant between AMD and NVIDIA. Sure, AMD is touting the 1GHz speed for some of the 7k cards, but that is more marketing than anything else.

@Dan, like it's been said, clock speeds are pretty irrelevant between AMD and NVIDIA. Sure, AMD is touting the 1GHz speed for some of the 7k cards, but that is more marketing than anything else.

Sigh why are people so sticky about this.