The ultimate free for all about cars

Tjj226_Angel

Why the hell would you replace a perfectly good roof panel because of a $10 seal? Do you have any idea what replacement tops cost? Not to mention trying to match the paint...

No. I am referring more to the type of fabric that if it gets too sun damaged it will literally disintegrate. Sometimes age can not be fixed with a topical gel, just as Lindsey Lohan :rofl:

No, but it is also a mater of convenience. Depending on how old the roof is for that convertible, it could be rusted, it could have weird damage done to it to prevent it from forming a good seal with the wind shield.

I mean obviously if it is a working roof, then keep it. But we used to have an old Cadillac with a convertible top. Boy did I ever want to kill myself when my mom needed help fixing the roof. We would seal it one weekend and the next.....and the next........and the next........

Finally, we just bought a new roof. We had 0 leaks until we sold it. (afterwards I obviously had no idea)

To me, sometimes no matter how good you are at fixing damaged things, nothing is as good as replacing it. Yeah the cost just bite a bit, but I mean come on. When you are sinking money into a classic car, I am sure a roof will not break the bank.

When you are sinking money into a classic car, I am sure a roof will not break the bank.

That's precisely why it will break the bank. :lol: It's a Corvette, everything for it is expensive.

Anyway - I'm still all ears about why the Cobalt is such a terrible car. :popcorn:

When you are sinking money into a classic (emphassis on sinking money into it properly) you will always aim to repair things before replacing.

If you really care about the car you want it with fully restored original parts and if the parts need to be replaced you fork out for a diner/parts car and then after that the individual parts you can't scavange.

However you will always repair before chopping away and replacing something's that adds to the history of classic and vintage vehicles.

That's precisely why it will break the bank. :lol: It's a Corvette, everything for it is expensive.

Anyway - I'm still all ears about why the Cobalt is such a terrible car. :popcorn:

I already got done telling you. The style sucks, and I can get a pretty decent BMW that will drive circles around it for the same price.

But I won't really have a good answer until you tell me what you want it for. For instance if you want to use it as a racer, then you go up against BMW and subaru. If you are thinking it is a fun car, then you would be better off getting a Mitsubishi lancer. If you want something REALLY fun you can get a Nissan 200 SX and mod the turd out of it and turn it into a drifter.

Basically the cobalt sucks because there are SOOOOOO many better options.

When you are sinking money into a classic (emphassis on sinking money into it properly) you will always aim to repair things before replacing.

If you really care about the car you want it with fully restored original parts and if the parts need to be replaced you fork out for a diner/parts car and then after that the individual parts you can't scavange.

However you will always repair before chopping away and replacing something's that adds to the history of classic and vintage vehicles.

Yes, on the other hand you can only hit your head up against a wall so many times before you break. We aren't talking about a cloth roof from the 80s, we are talking about a cloth roof from the 60s. So first off finding a car with the original roof would be an adventure all onto itself. Then having that roof survive for 50 years is another challenge. Then having that roof survive for 50 years and have it turn out to be something somewhat reliable and leak proof would be an amazing accomplishment. So yes, if you can accomplish that I would eat my words and recommend to Stockholm that you get a Nobel Prize.

However, the reality is is that you will probably get some sort of POS that you can actually afford, and the roof will have holes and moths will eat at it, and you might as well set the bloody thing on fire and keep yourself warm with it as you go out to buy a new one.

I hate convertible roofs so much. I hated working on them. I hated working on them just for the thing to leak in a totally different spot. I mean the leaks were faster than I was. It was madness. I learned one very important thing. You get a car with a leaky roof, REPLACE IT. Or at least don't make your ten year old help you fix it. :biggrin:

Current cars:

2006 Mustang GT

Vortech V1 s-trim supercharger (9lbs)

FRPP Longtube's, Borla offroad xpipe (no cat's), Borla Stinger mufflers

C&L intake manifold with charge motion delete plates

BBK twin blade 65mm throttle body

K&N typhoon CAI

3.90 gears (Thinking of going back to the stock 3.55's. I do a lot of highway driving and these 3.90's murdered my fuel economy)

FRPP aluminum driveshaft

Steeda Tri-ax shifter

Eibach Pro system plus (Complete suspension kit, springs, struts, sway bars, bushings, etc)

20in mb motorsport wheels (same weight as factory 17's 285/35/20 rear, 275's front p-zero's)

Thats mostly it for performance. Very few appearance mods, lots of sound stuff.

1996 Mustang base model (v6) converted to GT....ish

347 Stroker by HPS Automotive (just the bottom end, I built the rest)

Built GT40P heads (from explorer), ported, 1.7 roller rockers, etc)

Cobra upper/lower intake manifold

75mm BBK throttlebody

TKO500 Trans with Steeda shifter

8.8 swap rear end with 4.10's (originally a v6 car so it had the 7.5in stock)

ford racing aluminum drive shaft

17in Cobra replica rims.

Stock GT suspension, just lowered an inch with eibach springs (for now...out of money lol)

BUNCH of other stuff. That was the simplified list. lol

My dream car? 2003/2004 Cobra "Terminator"