Which pony car is your favorite?

NikoDG

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the eloquent analogy...................................... :)

Being probably the oldest (or one of the oldest around these parts) I can give you my first hand impressions past and present;

Pony / Muscle Cars I've owned high school through present;

'64 1/2 Mustang - first car

'67 Barracuda - second car

'70 Cuda - my third

'69 Charger - fourth

'69 Dart GT - fifth

'80 Mustang GT - sixth

'92 Mustang GT - seventh

'01 Mustang GT (twice) - eight and nine

Of those my first four cars bring back the fondest memories. They were all fast - going straight - and handled like dogs for the most part. My Charger got a whopping 9 miles to the gallon when I drove it nice. Admittedly though, these cars were really awesome because of the memories and my age at the time. I'll guarantee you that the modern day versions of any of these vehicles is at least 50% more reliable and about 100% more fuel efficient, while producing more horsepower and in some cases improved 1/4 mile times.

I've been in the market for a new muscle car for three years now and have driven the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. And spent an entire week in a Challenger last year during a trade show in Vegas. Honestly I'd take any three of those cars, albeit each for a different specific reason. I'm really intrigued by the 2012 Camaro ZL1, Wish I could find one to drive around here, because $50K is a lot of cash to drop on anything without a good long test drive. I guess I'd have to say I'd buy that one instead of the others because I've never owned a Camaro, and because the last two GMC products I've owned have been outstanding in build quality, longevity and reliability.

The new Mustangs feel very very quick and responsive. Handled well too. The Camaro was a sure head turner, but I felt kind of caged up inside of it. By far the car that felt it had the best "cool" factor was the Challenger. It drew glances and questions just about anywhere you stopped.

I mentioned my older cars to try and draw a comparison. The pony / muscle cars of today, will be the classic cars of tomorrow if they are well cared for. I never thought of one of the cars I mentioned to begin this post as a "classic" car. And we never referred to them as pony cars or muscle cars. They were our daily drivers, Friday night draggers, and Saturday night date rides. And I would have never guessed that if I had held onto one of them, left it in OE condition and kept them in great shape that they would be worth what they are today :(

I think I could literally be a millionaire.

Sure the old cars are cool - and seem a lot cooler than today's versions. But that is mainly nostalgia. If I take off my rose colored glasses I can almost recall all of the times a night out was spoiled by a break down, or not being able to afford gas and a date (gas always won :)) Then there were the multiple speeding tickets that got my license yanked for a year, the fines, the harassment by the local PD and of course the wrecks that totaled the Charger and the Cuda.

Ah, I feel better now. Wow, talk about a mini-novel.............. sorry about that guys.

To answer the question - 2012 Camaro ZL1

The Camaro ZL1 is definitely a jaw dropper ;)

But at the same price point I'd be inclined to grab a Charger R/T AWD with a self installed super charger, giving me close to the same power, with an albeit crappy fuel economy rating. Us Canadian's really do love our AWD, and getting a sedan with comparable power at the same price point at the ZL1 coupe, but with more interior space, and AWD is hard not to like. Although the transmission in the Charger could definitely use a rehaul, I'd love to see a 6-speed manual, or 8-speed auto in it.

The Camaro ZL1 is definitely a jaw dropper ;)

But at the same price point I'd be inclined to grab a Charger R/T AWD with a self installed super charger, giving me close to the same power, with an albeit crappy fuel economy rating. Us Canadian's really do love our AWD, and getting a sedan with comparable power at the same price point at the ZL1 coupe, but with more interior space, and AWD is hard not to like. Although the transmission in the Charger could definitely use a rehaul, I'd love to see a 6-speed manual, or 8-speed auto in it.

You're in luck! They put the new 8-speed dual clutch trannies in the Charger this year. But not as a "Factory default" They have some cars on the lot with it though, but for the most part you have to get it ordered in. My friend dad has a brand new Charger R/T AWD with the 8-speed in it, again had to order it though. Maybe it works differently in the US though? Starting next year though 8-speed should be standard.

You're in luck! They put the new 8-speed dual clutch trannies in the Charger this year. But not as a "Factory default" They have some cars on the lot with it though, but for the most part you have to get it ordered in. My friend dad has a brand new Charger R/T AWD with the 8-speed in it, again had to order it though. Maybe it works differently in the US though? Starting next year though 8-speed should be standard.

I've been looking on their Canadian website and the V-6 Chargers come standard with an 8-speed automatic, but the V-8's only come with a 5-speed automatic, no option for an 8-speed :(

Also TTJ... you REALLY should go get in a brand new Mustang GT before you keep talking like its the same car from the late 90's early 2000's... Because its not. Not at all... Challenger and to some degree the Camaro are still "sub-par" compared to a lot of foreign sports cars. But how DARE you dog the corvette and viper... Two car's that have always held true to supreme performance without having a millionaires budget. The corvette to this day still wrecks an Audi R8 v10 on the track, so goes for the viper versus the R8 v10. Go take a gander over to Top gear UK and look at all those wonderful track times, all posted by the same driver.(The lovely Stig!) EDIT** Corvette Z06 versus R8 v8, Corvette ZR1 versus R8 v10. Base line corvette isn't quite up to the snuff for an R8, but close. Still major price difference between the two cars though.

By really, why are you even comparing a Mustang to an Audi R8... Riiight, lets take a $35k car and compare it to a $120k+ car(Yeah, thats STARTING price when it comes to the R8 v8, its over $150k starting if you go for the v10)... Hmm the $120k+ car wins? REALLY, YA DONT SAY? I'd be pretty effin pissed if the car that was 4 times the price(more if v10) wasn't better, and it by a lot at that.

How did an R8 even get into this topic!?!?!! PONY CAR, Sometimes words are hard...

Exactly, you can't compare a $150k car to a $35 car, might as well start comparing a Cadillac CTS-V to a GEO Metro.

I like how this turned into pretty much every car thread ever haha.

I already said what car I'd take if I had to get one now (Challenger SRT8) but tbh I'm not much of a new car fan in general, my 95 Dakota is actually the newest vehicle I've owned, or plan on owning.

I think it comes down to is that everyone has their own taste in cars, I like big American luxury barges from the 60's 70's and 80's myself, something that can soak up these awesome roads we have around Detroit with it's marshmallow-like suspension and enough power and torque to haul itself around pretty quickly if it needs to, I'd rather be driving an old Imperial or Fleetwood or Town Car than a Mustang or Camaro, but that's not the case for everyone.

TL:DR, we all have our own tastes and opinions, just answer the question and stop jamming yours down everyone elses throat if you can't be civil and intelligent about it -.-