Which pony car is your favorite?

NikoDG

^ This was suppose to be a pony car thread not what cars are cheaper and better but simply if some one gave you the choice of a current production pony car which one would you take, this is getting about as zany as the challenges on BBC top gear which are great fun and make for great viewer ship but that is not what this thread was about, and on that bombshell.

I would have challenger srt because it looks great and does what a pony car should do go fast in straight line and be able to break the tires loose at will.

Fine then, Ferrari 458.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But American cars just don't have any soul. It is like gee how big of an engine can I fit on a chassis. It sort of reminds me of AMD. INTEL IS STILL FASTER THAN US GRRRRRRRRRRR. I GOT IT WE SHOULD ADD MORE CORES.

Hilarious paint drawing here

I feel like that is what American cars do too. If the American car is mot faster than a German car around a track, they just add more horse power. However, horse power does not win the race. Things like traction control and suspension are all tossed to the wayside as they add more horse power. That is why Jeremy said, in real word performance the audi is faster.

I think American companies literally sit in an office somewhere and go Step 1: more horse power Step 2: ?????? Step 3: PROFIT!!!

That is why you end up with Challengers, Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, or a viper. All of these cars really are quite terrible in my mind. I only say that because they are a former shell of what they used to be. Prime example is the mustang. 1969 mustang convertibles are beautiful cars. They tell a story every time you sit in one. The car literally seems to have a life force drawing you in. Since 2000 they have been nothing but crap. Everything is the plastic interior, and sure you can change it and do what ever you want, but that same feel you had in 1969 is gone. It has died. Same with all the rest. Car makers knew that it was the soul of the car that sold those vehicles.

I mean look at the audi R8. It is dark and mysterious. It is a sort of cool and calming car. It isn't something you take to the track, it is something you take your wife in to the ball. It is elegant, and that is why Top Gear has a hard time falling in love with it. The Audi R8 is a primp and proper lady, and the problem is that most people just want a car that give them thrills. A primp and proper lady is above thrills if you catch my drift. However, that same intrigue, that same mystery that is oozing from the car is why I would want one myself.

Porsche on the other hand is the girl friend you had in high school that you did not want to show your mom. It takes charge and takes you on a wild ride if you treat it right. Make one slip up and it will throw you for a loop, but get the turns right on the track, and you will have a smile on your face. It truly is one of the most fun cars you can own.

Ferrari is the essence of a speed lover's child hood. If you were the type of child that would spend every waking moment raising and asking for money to build some sort of box with wheels to go down a hill, Ferrari embodies the holy grail for those people. The car is born from the very desire to go as fast as you can and give you that head rush. The car itself almost holds the same soul of the ten year old kid beaming with excitement to go fast.

Do you see where I am going with this?

All I feel when I see or am in a Corvette is this sense of conformity. You can almost feel like it was designed by some guy who was working late and really just wanted to go home. I mean you should have seen the video. That flimsy build quality prevents half of us from buying a cheap PC case let alone a car. Everything is just wrong about American cars. Corvettes remind me of a wedge of cheese. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, all look like they are trying to fight the wind, not cut right through it. To put it in a way you guys can relate to, I see American cars like the design came from some OEM source. To me when I sit in one it doesn't say anything, there is no story, there is no emotional bond between man and machine, there is no inspiration. It is totally devoid of any soul.

If someone found a car circa 2000 and up, that they think does have a soul, then we have something to talk about. Otherwise, stop gravitating towards American muscle cars right off the bat, rethink who you are as a car lover, and try to find a car/year/and model that exemplifies your personality. If that car is in fact an American muscle car, then so be it, but also be able to tell us why. And no, "it goes fast" is not a very good reason.

Cobalt SS.

A ferrari nor a Cobalt is a Pony car... You've missed the entire point of the thread im afraid...

Pony car of current gen...

My favorite, is Camaro... But i dont fit, same with mustang great and wonderful car, but i dont fit!

So in the end id go with a challenger SRT8. I've taken one for a test drive before, It may not handle like a needle, but it certainly takes a turn like a boss. And you have a HELL of a lot of fun doing it too.

A ferrari nor a Cobalt is a Pony car... You've missed the entire point of the thread im afraid...

Pony car of current gen...

My favorite, is Camaro... But i dont fit, same with mustang great and wonderful car, but i dont fit!

So in the end id go with a challenger SRT8. I've taken one for a test drive before, It may not handle like a needle, but it certainly takes a turn like a boss. And you have a HELL of a lot of fun doing it too.

Oh I know, I got derailed a bit.

To be honest out of the current batch of pony cars I'd love to have the Camaro SS or the Mustang GT500. I love the way the Challenger looks...but it's an absolute pig. :lol:

I loved the eloquent analogy...................................... :)

Being probably the oldest (or one of the oldest around these parts) I can give you my first hand impressions past and present;

Pony / Muscle Cars I've owned high school through present;

'64 1/2 Mustang - first car

'67 Barracuda - second car

'70 Cuda - my third

'69 Charger - fourth

'69 Dart GT - fifth

'80 Mustang GT - sixth

'92 Mustang GT - seventh

'01 Mustang GT (twice) - eight and nine

Of those my first four cars bring back the fondest memories. They were all fast - going straight - and handled like dogs for the most part. My Charger got a whopping 9 miles to the gallon when I drove it nice. Admittedly though, these cars were really awesome because of the memories and my age at the time. I'll guarantee you that the modern day versions of any of these vehicles is at least 50% more reliable and about 100% more fuel efficient, while producing more horsepower and in some cases improved 1/4 mile times.

I've been in the market for a new muscle car for three years now and have driven the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. And spent an entire week in a Challenger last year during a trade show in Vegas. Honestly I'd take any three of those cars, albeit each for a different specific reason. I'm really intrigued by the 2012 Camaro ZL1, Wish I could find one to drive around here, because $50K is a lot of cash to drop on anything without a good long test drive. I guess I'd have to say I'd buy that one instead of the others because I've never owned a Camaro, and because the last two GMC products I've owned have been outstanding in build quality, longevity and reliability.

The new Mustangs feel very very quick and responsive. Handled well too. The Camaro was a sure head turner, but I felt kind of caged up inside of it. By far the car that felt it had the best "cool" factor was the Challenger. It drew glances and questions just about anywhere you stopped.

I mentioned my older cars to try and draw a comparison. The pony / muscle cars of today, will be the classic cars of tomorrow if they are well cared for. I never thought of one of the cars I mentioned to begin this post as a "classic" car. And we never referred to them as pony cars or muscle cars. They were our daily drivers, Friday night draggers, and Saturday night date rides. And I would have never guessed that if I had held onto one of them, left it in OE condition and kept them in great shape that they would be worth what they are today :(

I think I could literally be a millionaire.

Sure the old cars are cool - and seem a lot cooler than today's versions. But that is mainly nostalgia. If I take off my rose colored glasses I can almost recall all of the times a night out was spoiled by a break down, or not being able to afford gas and a date (gas always won :)) Then there were the multiple speeding tickets that got my license yanked for a year, the fines, the harassment by the local PD and of course the wrecks that totaled the Charger and the Cuda.

Ah, I feel better now. Wow, talk about a mini-novel.............. sorry about that guys.

To answer the question - 2012 Camaro ZL1

Cobalt SS.

Are you even trying? The cobalt looks like something a kindergarten kid drew on the back of a napkin. If a rally car is what you are looking for, go buy a Cosworth. They are actually affordable and don't suck.

@ wev. I think you get what I am trying to say, and thank you for that :D

I myself am looking for a rolling chassis of a 69 mustang myself. I want to turn it into a power drifter. We actually have a race track not to far from where I live where you can drift all day long around corners. It was a little hard with my dads old honda civic if you catch my drift. ((((He still asks why there is a burnt smell in the car :rofl: )))). I should be able to tighten the suspension and make it into a pretty classy looking surprise for all of those people at the track.

Is there anything I should look out for? Maybe you know of some mechanical hiccup that would prevent something like that to be accomplished?

Are you even trying? The cobalt looks like something a kindergarten kid drew on the back of a napkin. If a rally car is what you are looking for, go buy a Cosworth. They are actually affordable and don't suck.

How old are you? What car do you drive? :lol:

The Cobalt is fast, handles EXTREMELY well, gets great mileage, and looks decent enough. They're also fairly reliable, something you can't say about any Ferrari. Racing soul is what the Cobalt SS has...

Please, explain how the Cobalt SS sucks. I'm also all ears for why you brought up rally cars in reference to the Cobalt at all. :lol:

How old are you? What car do you drive? :lol:

The Cobalt is fast, handles EXTREMELY well, gets great mileage, and looks decent enough. They're also fairly reliable, something you can't say about any Ferrari. Racing soul is what the Cobalt SS has...

Please, explain how the Cobalt SS sucks. I'm also all ears for why you brought up rally cars in reference to the Cobalt at all. :lol:

I USED to drive a modified honda civic. Why do you think I use that POS in so many of my analogies? When my parents had their separation, my dad was like I will go but I need a car. He thought this would surely stump us. I gave him the keys and said don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out.

And so died my ride.

Before that I actually had a mini van for travel.

And how does the Cobalt SS suck? First off it is discontinued. So even Chevy understood how bad it was (that is a joke). However, to get a used one in good condition would cost about 12K. Now lets say that your total budget was 30K for things like a better engine, better suspension, the works. I could go and get a Subaru wrx for about the same price and have a much easier time working on it than the cobalt. Plus if you were looking for a rally car (because the cobalt would be a waste any other way) you could be looking at getting a cosworth for the same money that it would take to modify the cobalt. If you were thinking you were going to race in it, BMW has you beat on almost every aspect.

And how does the Cobalt SS suck? First off it is discontinued. So even Chevy understood how bad it was (that is a joke). However, to get a used one in good condition would cost about 12K. Now lets say that your total budget was 30K for things like a better engine, better suspension, the works. I could go and get a Subaru wrx for about the same price and have a much easier time working on it than the cobalt. Plus if you were looking for a rally car (because the cobalt would be a waste any other way) you could be looking at getting a cosworth for the same money that it would take to modify the cobalt. If you were thinking you were going to race in it, BMW has you beat on almost every aspect.

You haven't listed a single reason why the Cobalt "sucks" yet. It is not a rally car. It is not intended to be a rally car. It doesn't need $18k in modifications. A WRX is a completely different kind of car, and doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Cobalt does. They aren't even in the same class.

And comparing one to a BMW? What BMW? I've embarrassed many of them in autocross courses.

I really don't understand what your beef with the Cobalt is. You haven't given a single reason to dislike it except for the styling. :lol:

Edited by Waco

You haven't listed a single reason why the Cobalt "sucks" yet. It is not a rally car. It is not intended to be a rally car. It doesn't need $18k in modifications. A WRX is a completely different kind of car, and doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Cobalt does. They aren't even in the same class.

And comparing one to a BMW? What BMW? I've embarrassed many of them in autocross courses.

I really don't understand what your beef with the Cobalt is. You haven't given a single reason to dislike it except for the styling. :lol:

Its suspension is off, it is made out of cheap materials, it doesn't go fast enough for the price, and for the same price I can get something better like a BMW. The only reason you are quote embarrassing any BMW is probably because the driver is either an idiot, or you have two totally different engine sizes.

And yes. The style is horrid.

Its suspension is off, it is made out of cheap materials, it doesn't go fast enough for the price, and for the same price I can get something better like a BMW.

You're not talking about the Cobalt SS in this post.

As for embarrassing BMWs...who in that fight has a disadvantage in engine size? :lol: It's certainly not the Bimmer. :P

Edited by Waco