• Steam
    • Origin
    • Both
    • Neither

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know... I just dont get why people are too stuborn not to buy a game because of Origin. Its just a different brand that does the same thing as Steam just for EA :lol:

No, they are not even close to being on the same level. Origin is a horrible program. I don't care about customer service and all that jazz. I do care about being a POS attempt at digital distribution. Steam just has a ton more features, always works (for me), looks nice and sleek, counts my hours played and has good deals. Origin is just, uquoehfuiahdjfk, terrible.

If it weren't for them forcing me to have BF3 and Mass Effect 3 on it, I wouldn't touch the thing.

No, they are not even close to being on the same level. Origin is a horrible program. I don't care about customer service and all that jazz. I do care about being a POS attempt at digital distribution. Steam just has a ton more features, always works (for me), looks nice and sleek, counts my hours played and has good deals. Origin is just, uquoehfuiahdjfk, terrible.

Psss. Run Origin.exe. Look at the title bar "Origin Beta."

The functionally of Origin as a DD platform is fine. Buy games, download games, update games, and play games all of which can be done on Origin. It does have better download speeds than Steam and they are adding other publishers (recently added 11 more this month). Jazzy features can be added on later, as Steam did. No point in having jazzy features if your back-end doesn't work.

Origin does have decent sales <$10, but being mostly old EA games most people already own them (Dead Space, Mass Effect, Alice, and etc). Let's not forget that you can go to any online retailer and buy any EA game found in their Digital Download section and activate it on Origin. There aren't many games you can do that for Steam. So sales done by Origin alone are just minor, but when you include online retailers like GameStop, Amazon, and others that really adds up.

Let's not forget that other developers have turned down Steam due to DLC differences as well. I guess people just love to hate brands rather than looking at the real issue.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Psss. Run Origin.exe. Look at the title bar "Origin Beta."

Pssst. You can't call something that everyone is forced to use for AAA titles a "Beta" and get away with it sucking. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/AspeW.jpg

That was from an EA event sometime last year. We'll see how things go by the end of 2012.

Right. A slide from marketing doesn't magically improve the fact that Origin, even today, pales in comparison to Steam on every front...and that's not even bringing up their extremely lackluster history with regards to forum bans / game bans.

Right. A slide from marketing doesn't magically improve the fact that Origin, even today, pales in comparison to Steam on every front...and that's not even bringing up their extremely lackluster history with regards to forum bans / game bans.

There is no doubt Steam is leagues ahead of Origin. The thing is Steam is many things, while Origin is only a few. Origin as a DD platform works well. Steam is becoming more of a Social platform along side with its DD, which took years to develop.

The slide was meant to be a hint of the future content EA has planned for Origin. Most of it is under-wraps, so can't really say anything until we see it. The Origin we know today may not be the same Origin we know by the end of the year or next. Just like how Steam has changed over the years.

Origin does not fail in the DD department. It does fail in the Social department, I will admit. The fluff can be added, but the backend must exist. The cake decorating will commence sooner or later for Origin.

Edited by Krazyxazn

http://i.imgur.com/AspeW.jpg

That was from an EA event sometime last year. We'll see how things go by the end of 2012.

Can someone explain this graph to me? It's really not making sense to me......

To me a pie graph is a percentage right? How can these percentages add up with things in the current market of game consumers. Also why represent everything as quarters and provide absolutely no reference points?

Trying to open my mind and understand it...

How does origin propose to end up with a community equal to steam, game selection equal to steam, achievements equal to steam ect as well as better cross platform (assuming Mac and Linux possibly, does this mean what I think it means?) I just don't see any of this happening.

Would rather it not happen and would happily see valve sort it's sh¡t out and actually provide incentives, for other companies that have opposition to working with them, to have their games brought over to the well current and working system.

I like steam (hate some of the regional pricing and releases) but I want them to treat publishes and developers in the way they try to preach about the way they position the customer. I don't see it as being too hard or unrealistic. I am certain they can provide a better service to customers and help out other companies to the benefit of both the consumer and the publisher/developer, if they bothered to.