Trying to explain your custom PC.

DrDigitized2

I had an engineering problem in a class (heat transfer) and it was water cooling a computer chip. The prof looked at the problem and exclaimed "This must be one of those fancy supercomputers, it has water cooling!"

That's great! Shows that even with a high degree of education you still don't know anything.

I love that your grandpa's build there own computers. Thats just awesome!

Hey, now, a Q6600 isn't a slouch by any means.
Unfortunately it really is. :(

A Q6600 compared to even a lowly i3 530 is pretty much a slap in the face, and that's on the old tech, compare it to an i3 2100 and it's shameful.

Sure it does what we want them to do (I'm running one as well), but they're actually pretty outdated now.

:down:

A Q6600 compared to even a lowly i3 530 is pretty much a slap in the face, and that's ont he old tech, compare it to an i3 2100and it's shameful.

Sure it does what we want them to do (I'm running one as well), but they're actually pretty outdated now.

Yeah, but the Q6600 is how old? Even so, it holds it's own in non-gaming situations, and even in some gaming situations it does fairly well.

Have any of you ever had to explain why you decided to build a custom pc to anyone? From my experience most people don't know that much about computers. They know that they can go to Wal*Mart/Best Buy/Costco/or Sams club and pay at the max $1000. Most of them wouldn't consider a computer that cost more then $500 bucks.

I am in the process of building my second computer. When I try to tell my mom whose only 45, or my dad whose 50 that the tower alone cost $150 they get sticker shock and say why don't you just buy one from walmart. When I tell them that GPU cost upwards of $400 they think I'm nuts. Thats when I go in for the kill and tell them that after all said and done its going to cost over 2k. Thats when they get mad!

It seems most people don't understand or know that a computer can be personalized to what you need/want. Most people haven't even heard of water cooling. Just wondering if anyone can relate.

So does anyone else have similar stories?

I can relate...I just built my first custom PC today...thankfully the hubby is patient...I had no idea of the total cost involved , and still have sticker shock over it. BTW, I am that 40 something mom :-)

Why do you have straight Nitrous Oxide running in your computer.? That ****** must go from 0-60 in like 3.4 seconds.

But seriously whats the green tubing. A coolant.?

My favorite quote from someone who saw my computer (from the MLG forums).

A Q6600 compared to even a lowly i3 530 is pretty much a slap in the face, and that's on the old tech, compare it to an i3 2100 and it's shameful.

For gaming it looks just fine to me. :P

Yeah, but the Q6600 is how old? Even so, it holds it's own in non-gaming situations, and even in some gaming situations it does fairly well.

For gaming it looks just fine to me. :P

Oh yeah, it isn't a bad CPU and it says a lot that it is still borderline competitive, still compared to a midrange current processor it's pretty slow.

Mine does anything I want to do perfectly fine, but I'm sure if I moved to an i5 of some sort I'd be amazed. :P

Oh yeah, it isn't a bad CPU and it says a lot that it is still borderline competitive, still compared to a midrange current processor it's pretty slow.

Mine does anything I want to do perfectly fine, but I'm sure if I moved to an i5 of some sort I'd be amazed. :P

Thats why you shouldn't do it... just getting that fix too often wil have you changing GPUs like NytRyda :thumbsup:

I can relate...I just built my first custom PC today...thankfully the hubby is patient...I had no idea of the total cost involved , and still have sticker shock over it. BTW, I am that 40 something mom :-)

Hahaha that is awesome. Post your build under system build, I want to see the specs :biggrin:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To answer this post, I finally got the opportunity to tell someone I built my pc at bestbuy. However, I can not relate to the rest of you. Unlike what I thought their response would be like (ie shock), she thought I was stupid for paying 1.3K for a PC. She said, and I quote "It is just plain stupid to spend that much on a windows PC. You should have bought a Mac."

Have any of you guys seen or remember Apple Soldier from youtube? If so, imagine that this really pretentious 30 year old lady spawned from where the sun don't shine on apple soldiers anatomy :teehee: . That is who I was dealing with.

I spent 2 hours trying to explain to her the differences between a mac and a PC. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::yucky:

Eventually the conversation came to this (Her) "Oh, well I am sure you are just the smartest person on the planet and you know ALLLLLL about computers" (Me) "Nope, there is a whole website full of people smarter than I am ;) " (Her) "Yeah they are all better than you because they own macs" (me) "I will be sure to tell them all next time I am on the site that they all own macs." "They will appreciate the heads up :D ." (Her)

At this point all of the geek squad agents were hiding on the other isle listening to this. 6 people in total were listening to the whole conversation snickering ever so quietly to themselves. As she walks just out of view they all start busting out laughing. The geek squad manager gave me 20 percent off of my total purchase just for that conversation :biggrin:

So unfortunately I did not get to laugh about peoples faces like you guys, but I did get 20% off :biggrin:

P.S. Just to let you all know. You all own macs. Sorry for your loss :rofl::P

P.S. Just to let you all know. You all own macs. Sorry for your loss :rofl::P

But... my computer doesn't LOOK like a Mac...

It doesn't FEEL like a Mac...

It certainly didn't cost an absurd amount of money for mediocre hardware....

How could this be?