Hard Drive Prices - WAT?

tkrow21

More money than they should? What does that even mean? :lol:

Pretend you own WD. You sell HDDs. Supply is low, prices skyrocket, and you make more money because of it. Do you feel bad at all? HELL NO. The market demanded HDDs, they weren't available, so prices jumped. You made more money because of it. There's nothing to be ashamed of there.

Well this will stir this pot up some.

Tjj has vaild points on this problem and it is not only limited to electronics.

Waco you say "You made more money because of it. There's nothing to be ashamed of there" which in and of itself is not a really bad thing but once you join the present day thought on things and drop all your ethics and morals and decide to just go ahead and screw everyone you can for an extra buck, then it gets pretty stupid. And once people realize that you are doing nothing more than lining your pockets and stop buying YOUR product, then I suppose you just go ahead and give up and close and sit back on your butt with your money and gloat?

Look at the oil companies who artificially inflate the prices when the price of a barrel rises a penny a barrel but do you see them drop the prices back when it goes back down 2 cents? Nope. They cry that they are in trouble and just can't make anything at the current prices. Yet when the quarter finishes somehow they have managed to scrape by and report record profits - again?

Look at Fannie May and Freddie Mack who just could not survive without a big bailout and of course now want another one. Then we get to see how they paid their top executives outrageous multi-million dollar bonuses (oh - but we still need the next bailout). Must be they increased the bonus payments to try and make us think that it will somehow make the execs work for a change and make a difference?

My point is that it has gotten way out of hand with economics. I'm sorry but I can't really see why someone needs to be paid millions of dollars for a bonus when the company has failed?

A lot of the overpricing is based on speculation and not on current indicators so it is pretty much vapor trading for prices at best.

But then again how can you not expect it when out own government has set up their own funding and padded themselves right out of the picture from the rest of us thanks in no small part to the big businesses who lobby for all the fruitless legislation that only benefits their agenda.

Hopefully people will open their eyes soon to things and stand up and make a difference. The absurd policies of this government and big business is outrageous, stupid, and totally uncalled for. We used to be a country of hard working, resourceful, and economicly thoughtful people till we were given all the programs which reward laziness and promote lack of thought or design for things that last.

Things are now based on the few having the most rather than trying to make it better for all.

Such a screwed up system that is only going to get worst thanks to the "talking turd" we have in the White House now who is nothing more than a puppet for the "economically elite" few that wish to have it all.

Sad, so sad.

I'm confused here. You're mad because a company, designed to make money, is making money? Supply and demand is the reason prices skyrocketed. If that bothers you, I suggest you take a class in economics or something so it makes sense.

+1

Economics 101. The demand versus the availability is the primary driver of current market prices. Sure the cost of "recovery" is driving some of the wholesale price increase, but the majority of it is market driven. And NewEgg is about one of the worst offenders. Example, two months ago I had a laptop repair for a customer. I insisted on swapping his failed WD drive for another WD drive (320Gb to be exact). New drive online (specifically NE) was $89.99. Bought the same drive from BB for $59.

Well this will stir this pot up some.

Tjj has vaild points on this problem and it is not only limited to electronics.

Waco you say "You made more money because of it. There's nothing to be ashamed of there" which in and of itself is not a really bad thing but once you join the present day thought on things and drop all your ethics and morals and decide to just go ahead and screw everyone you can for an extra buck, then it gets pretty stupid. And once people realize that you are doing nothing more than lining your pockets and stop buying YOUR product, then I suppose you just go ahead and give up and close and sit back on your butt with your money and gloat?

I don't see any evidence that Western Digital is doing anything like this.

Such a screwed up system that is only going to get worst thanks to the "talking turd" we have in the White House now who is nothing more than a puppet for the "economically elite" few that wish to have it all.

Sad, so sad.

Sounds like you'll be voting for Ron Paul then.......................... and that's ok :)

There is a simple way to demonstrate your displeasure over products, services or pricing - take your business somewhere else, or buy another brand, or just wait until prices are depressed again. Or rethink your strategy - earlier someone used SSD instead of traditional hard drives as an example.

Of course you can't do this with gas prices, but you can;

buy a more fuel efficient car

car pool

shop around for the cheapest pump prices

ride your bike (or motorcycle)

walk

alternate fuel sources - like electric vehicles, solar and geothermal for your house and heating etc.

Sounds like you'll be voting for Ron Paul then.......................... and that's ok :)

There is a simple way to demonstrate your displeasure over products, services or pricing - take your business somewhere else, or buy another brand, or just wait until prices are depressed again. Or rethink your strategy - earlier someone used SSD instead of traditional hard drives as an example.

Of course you can't do this with gas prices, but you can;

buy a more fuel efficient car

car pool

shop around for the cheapest pump prices

ride your bike (or motorcycle)

walk

alternate fuel sources - like electric vehicles, solar and geothermal for your house and heating etc.

Seriously, supply and demand does not explain the extent of the higher prices. The price should have gone up 40 percent, not 100 percent. So stop whining about how I don't understand it. I do, you guys don't.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

This hard drive was 90 bucks before the flood. No amount of supply and demand numbers and figures can explain the price now.

Secondly, what could fix the gas prices is if the oil companies could quit being such greedy little F'ers and keep gas prices reasonable.

HDD prices have been at an all an all time low for a long time as far as price per gig. All I have to say is QQ more.

6/9/2006 Total $240.93

• 1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

So stop whining about how I don't understand it. I do, you guys don't.

LMFAO....u mad? Because, obviously your are having some issues in understanding Supply and Demand. But, you are young, so I'm guessing you haven't taken a college level Econ class! I highly suggest this if you are going to continue your education :thumbsup:

Seriously, supply and demand does not explain the extent of the higher prices. The price should have gone up 40 percent, not 100 percent. So stop whining about how I don't understand it. I do, you guys don't.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

This hard drive was 90 bucks before the flood. No amount of supply and demand numbers and figures can explain the price now.

Thank you for proving exactly how you don't understand how it works. :lol:

Tjj -while I certainly understand your complaints concerning hard drive prices and even gas prices (and in fact they disgust me too) that doesn't change the dynamics or laws of free market economy. Let's contrast current memory prices. They are at almost historic lows because production and capacity have exceeded demand. The key is to take advantage of what the market is giving you. Same goes for LCDs (both monitors and televisions). If you want or need either of those things you should buy them right now while the market is depressed. Eventually they will probably go up. And, at some point in the future the cost of hard drives will come back down.

Just like construction work, you gotta get the bucks while the bucks are there to get - because it's going to be a long hard winter.

Then can you ask them why the time frame keeps getting moved around? That isn't me being sarcastic or anything. I have been trying to understand that for a long time, and it would be great if you could actually get a direct answer.

The reason for this is quite frankly the cost and effort. Remember there is a lot of clean room space. These areas have been sitting in muddy water. This is not a matter of going in a cleaning but of actually rebuilding these areas from scratch. Also they get pressure for an answer and they post one, then they discover more wrong and have to modify the answer. I am not sure if you have ever been in an accident or had a house fire or even flooded, the initial estimates are almost never accurate and that is on things that are relatively simple compared to these factories. I will ask but I doubt we will get specifics and to be honest why should we. 99.9% of the people out there would likely not understand the specifics and even then the only thing we should be worried about is getting our drives.

LMFAO....u mad? Because, obviously your are having some issues in understanding Supply and Demand. But, you are young, so I'm guessing you haven't taken a college level Econ class! I highly suggest this if you are going to continue your education :thumbsup:

Well I got news for you. I just went to the department head at the college of my college for economics of which I have taken his economics courses before, and presented him only the numbers that have come straight from the WD and Seagate websites and he figured that the prices should have been about 20% lower than they are. I am telling you guys you don't have all the numbers to write it off as supply and demand.

He even flat out told me that the hard drive companies are overcharging even though the market does allow for price increase.

.........wait. You guys do understand that I agree the prices should have gone up drastically, just not to this extent and for this long right? I am simply concerned the company is taking advantage of the consumer. It is not like I am questioning why the hard drive precises rose. I just want to make sure, especially since that would explain why there is such a massive devide in our arguments.