7970 info leak

Muchoman1

Despite all you nay says about drivers I've been issue free with my 5850 and 6950! And with 3 Gb of vram I look ford to those games with 4096 x 4096 textures! Heck that's more ram than my laptop!

Planing to sell my 6950 and upgrade if a certain some one lets me :evilgrin:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly hope this card hold it's own with NVIDIA.

If it can give 15% - 30% more performance over a 3GB 580 people are claiming.

Well, hat off to you AMD. thx2.gifthx2.gifthx2.gif

I don't think it is possible. AMD makes very good vfm cards & nVidia makes top end card. This is the fact & would continue like that till any breakdown. :-/

Wait what? This makes no sense...

Agreed :thumbsup: I also do not understand what you are saying d6?

AMD (ATI) and Nvidia have both had the best card on the market at different times. Which company has had the best card out, has also come down to scheduling of the releases in the past!

But, when it comes to drivers, I think many people who are complaing are talking about a specific game release! So what, because a card released a year ago isn't working properly the same day that a new game comes out, now AMD has driver problems in general??? I have used AMD (ATI) for many years, and like others, have ran my cards relatively free of any driver problems! I know for sure that with my 5870's, 5970, and now my 6970's that I haven't ever had any driver issues. People just need to understand that when a brand new game comes out, that AMD or Nvidia for that matter didn't design, that there might be a period of time where there might be a driver issue! It's called time, and rarely does it not get figured out!

I wonder what happened with the HD 69XX cards. The 5870 is about as powerful as a 4870X2, but the 6970 was only marginally better than the 5870. It seems that this card will bring back the old trend with a new single GPU card as powerful as the previous gen 2x GPU card, as it mentions it should be as powerful as a 6990 in that article.

I know this was at the start of the thread, but i still thought people might like to know: 5xxx series was such and increase because of it was a release of a new architecture, while the 6xxx was a revision of the previous 5xxx architecture, thus the only 'marginal' performance increase. And the 7xxx series is a brand new architecture thus the massive leap in performance.

So to explain in more simple terms:

4xxx = Architecture 1

5xxx = Architecture 2, thus the massive performance increase from 4xxx.

6xxx = Architecture 2.5, roughly the same architecture(VLIW-4 vs. VLIW-5) but with efficiency improvements.

7xxx = Architecture 3, thus the massive performance increase over 6xxx.

The is performance increase from from 5xxx to the 6xxx series is no different than the performance increase for the GTX4xx to the GTX5xx. So why is it that so many people are so harsh to judge the 6xxx over the GTX5xx?? Now i know for the sake of the GTX5xx series heat was addressed as well as power consumption. While the 6xxx if anything produced more heat, but did at least use less power.

But still the percentage of performance increase of the 5xxx -> 6xxx vs the GTX4xx -> GTX5xx is roughly the same, why hate on one revision and not the other??

Agreed :thumbsup: I also do not understand what you are saying d6?

AMD (ATI) and Nvidia have both had the best card on the market at different times. Which company has had the best card out, has also come down to scheduling of the releases in the past!

But, when it comes to drivers, I think many people who are complaing are talking about a specific game release! So what, because a card released a year ago isn't working properly the same day that a new game comes out, now AMD has driver problems in general??? I have used AMD (ATI) for many years, and like others, have ran my cards relatively free of any driver problems! I know for sure that with my 5870's, 5970, and now my 6970's that I haven't ever had any driver issues. People just need to understand that when a brand new game comes out, that AMD or Nvidia for that matter didn't design, that there might be a period of time where there might be a driver issue! It's called time, and rarely does it not get figured out!

Nvidia is way more on the ball with drivers.

AMD drags its feet for weeks even months sometimes on driver fixes. When you spend $300 on a card and can't get it to work on properly on games that are a few months old it tends to start get annoying.

Skyrim is an example of its own problems, 3 Drivers in a week, don't me wrong thats good but 3 drivers for 3 different fixes? Use this Cap don't use this Cap this stuff gets confusing to consumers. It could have all been fixed with one driver but a shortage of man power I guess they do the best they can but its annoying.

Batman is still not fixed for AMD, oh well....

I think the driver issues arise from the fact that AMD has a open source approach to pc component use. Where NVIDIA works hand in hand with the game developers because their logo is usually displayed at the start of the game. Not to say that AMD does not support the developers though.

Nvidia is way more on the ball with drivers.

AMD drags its feet for weeks even months sometimes on driver fixes. When you spend $300 on a card and can't get it to work on properly on games that are a few months old it tends to start get annoying.

Skyrim is an example of its own problems, 3 Drivers in a week, don't me wrong thats good but 3 drivers for 3 different fixes? Use this Cap don't use this Cap this stuff gets confusing to consumers. It could have all been fixed with one driver but a shortage of man power I guess they do the best they can but its annoying.

Batman is still not fixed for AMD, oh well....

Can't say I agree with that. I had one major issue with nVidia drivers not clocking my cards correctly, so it was independent of games, and it took them two certified releases before they finally fixed it (266.58 worked, 275.33 and 280.26 did not, 285.62 works). The first driver after 266.58 that worked correctly was the 285.38 beta, which was released for BF3 support. Counting betas, that's 9 drivers with a very serious bug in them. Specifically the issue was the GPU would which 3D clocks once, drop to the 2D or idle clocks, but not return to the 3D clocks without restarting the driver somehow.

Never had any problem like that with my HD 5770. Also, to make the issue more annoying, I never got anything from nVidia in response to my support requests. To put it simply, after that experience I really don't understand how anyone can say nVidia drivers are just flatly better than AMD. In some cases of course nVidia has been better, but not all.

Also, on a related note, performance is also affected by game updates in some weird ways. One game I have once got an update that crippled performance, and I am not using crippled lightly (from 50-60FPS down to 10-20 FPS), for the best cards in both camps. Oddly my middle of the pack 5770 wasn't affected, but the drivers were not at fault for the issue.

All I can say for AMD drivers is that HD 6970's in Xfire used to perform slightly better in some benchmarks over my GTX 570's in SLI. A few months land drivers later, performance on the GTX 570's have increased whilst the performance of the HD 6970's decreased. :dunno:

None of them are perfect with drivers, but overall, I find Nvidia driver updates less a pain in the butt.

Can't say I agree with that. I had one major issue with nVidia drivers not clocking my cards correctly, so it was independent of games, and it took them two certified releases before they finally fixed it (266.58 worked, 275.33 and 280.26 did not, 285.62 works). The first driver after 266.58 that worked correctly was the 285.38 beta, which was released for BF3 support. Counting betas, that's 9 drivers with a very serious bug in them. Specifically the issue was the GPU would which 3D clocks once, drop to the 2D or idle clocks, but not return to the 3D clocks without restarting the driver somehow.

Never had any problem like that with my HD 5770. Also, to make the issue more annoying, I never got anything from nVidia in response to my support requests. To put it simply, after that experience I really don't understand how anyone can say nVidia drivers are just flatly better than AMD. In some cases of course nVidia has been better, but not all.

Also, on a related note, performance is also affected by game updates in some weird ways. One game I have once got an update that crippled performance, and I am not using crippled lightly (from 50-60FPS down to 10-20 FPS), for the best cards in both camps. Oddly my middle of the pack 5770 wasn't affected, but the drivers were not at fault for the issue.

Ya I am not saying that Nvidia doesn't have their own issues or mistakes or whatever you want to call them.

It just seems over the last few months AMD has gotten bad and it seems to be getting worse now then before. As for the post above by El Cap I have been seeing the exact samething as well.

Ya I am not saying that Nvidia doesn't have their own issues or mistakes or whatever you want to call them.

It just seems over the last few months AMD has gotten bad and it seems to be getting worse now then before. As for the post above by El Cap I have been seeing the exact samething as well.

The thing about the issue wasn't so much that it was there, especially since 266 worked fine, it's more that nVidia never said anything or asked anything about it. Seriously, not even an email asking, "What are your system specs?" Never had to deal with AMD support, so I can't say how good or bad it is.