AMD vs. Intel

79 members have voted

1. 1. My primary system is based on a CPU by...

• AMD
    • Intel

You were AMD for how long?? evilgrin.gif

cheers.gif

Exactly 9 months :lol:

I cant believe I ever fell for the "6-Core" hype :lol: Shoulda bought an i7 instead of the 1090t - but I suppose we all learn from mistakes :P

Exactly 9 months :lol:

I cant believe I ever fell for the "6-Core" hype :lol: Shoulda bought an i7 instead of the 1090t - but I suppose we all learn from mistakes :P

Hahahaha same here with the 1100T. Still a great chip, but I paid wayyyyyyy too much.

Always have gone for Intel but I have loved all the AMD machines I've built and what they can do for the money.

I was so close to getting a Llano based laptop but they didn't make any with a 1080p screen so I had to go intel again (which I didn't mind too much because it's sandybridge derived, and sandybridge ROCKS)

And you do?

Careful Niko, so far I think this is the longest going forum thread about intel vs AMD that hasn't started a flame war. Let us keep it that way, or at least learn from all my previous arguments that you can't argue with AMD fanatics :doh: .

Careful Niko, so far I think this is the longest going forum thread about intel vs AMD that hasn't started a flame war. Let us keep it that way, or at least learn from all my previous arguments that you can't argue with AMD fanatics :doh: .

:doh:

Sorry, lol. I was just looking for him to point out some redeeming qualities, not looking to senselessly bash anything :O

:doh:

Sorry, lol. I was just looking for him to point out some redeeming qualities, not looking to senselessly bash anything :O

There are none. The multi core design was a response to hyper threading on the Intel side. AMD admits this. That is why two cores are called a "module" . A module is basically a hyper threaded intel core. Because of this, the intel i7 950 is pretty much on par with the 8150 BD chip before the hot fix release (+ or - benchmarks that are core dependent). The hot fix that came out and the "re-release" of the hotfix will only push the performance a little bit higher. However, as mentioned, it is highly unlikely that we will see a new experience emerge from it.

Unfortunately what killed the BD chips was the "shared cache" architecture, and no Hotfix on earth can magically make it so that each core has its own dedicated cache. Bottom line, the only redeeming quality in BD is that it gave AMD PLENTY of feedback so that they can fix their problems.

I am really hopeful that with Pile Driver AMD will rebuild the architecture from the ground up with the chip rather than just throwing more cores at it.

There are none. The multi core design was a response to hyper threading on the Intel side. AMD admits this. That is why two cores are called a "module" . A module is basically a hyper threaded intel core. Because of this, the intel i7 950 is pretty much on par with the 8150 BD chip before the hot fix release (+ or - benchmarks that are core dependent). The hot fix that came out and the "re-release" of the hotfix will only push the performance a little bit higher. However, as mentioned, it is highly unlikely that we will see a new experience emerge from it.

Unfortunately what killed the BD chips was the "shared cache" architecture, and no Hotfix on earth can magically make it so that each core has its own dedicated cache. Bottom line, the only redeeming quality in BD is that it gave AMD PLENTY of feedback so that they can fix their problems.

I am really hopeful that with Pile Driver AMD will rebuild the architecture from the ground up with the chip rather than just throwing more cores at it.

Even if they do fix it when they release Piledriver, the FX1090 chipset isn't supposed to support PCI-e 3.0 so that will probably kill it for any serious gamers :/