CPU Heatsink query

trace_87

I did a little research via newegg comments, and I'm afraid the cooler will block a slot of memory (I have the big G.SKILL sinks). Has anyone used the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO with an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3?

It's not a huge deal, I plan on running with 2 sticks, but I might decide to expand later. I guess maybe I could just purchase 4x sticks of whatever (that would fit in) to have matching sets for overclocking and sell my existing ram.

My friend recently (like 2 weeks ago) got the 212+ with extreme3 gen3 and there is no problem with his vengeance xms3 1600 kit.

You can always put the fan in pull mode instead (on the "back" side of the cooler), then it definitely won't get in the way (might lose a few degrees though)

Link to ram (swedish)

Edited by medbor

Tell that to my friend getting 4.5ghz on his 2500K with one :P it took like 20 minutes too. (And it was the 212+ not th evo)

Sensors not reporting correct temps......... The 212 or 612+ are not that good. I can easily put my 212+ and prove it but no need.....

Sensors not reporting correct temps......... The 212 or 612+ are not that good. I can easily put my 212+ and prove it but no need.....

I'm getting 4.5GHz on my 2600k under a 212+ and the highest temp I've seen is 68C for the two weeks its been on and overclocked. Granted any higher and it jumps over 72C but the 212+ is good into the low to mid 4GHz range

I'm getting 4.5GHz on my 2600k under a 212+ and the highest temp I've seen is 68C for the two weeks its been on and overclocked. Granted any higher and it jumps over 72C but the 212+ is good into the low to mid 4GHz range

Those temps are not recommended That is too high for the chip on operating temps. You will degredate it quickly within 6 months. Your load temps will easily be in the 80's and either way those temps are too high.\ operating or stress. Plus it is a measly 4.5Ghz which is peanuts for the chip.... 4GHz is kinda laughable. Better cooling will getcha close to 5GHz...

Edited by Drdeath

Those temps are not recommended That is too high for the chip on operating temps. You will degredate it quickly within 6 months. Your load temps will easily be in the 80's and either way those temps are too high.\ operating or stress. Plus it is a measly 4.5Ghz which is peanuts for the chip.... 4GHz is kinda laughable. Better cooling will getcha close to 5GHz...

+1 on the better cooling, but 68c as a load temp is fine.

Only one suggestion from my end: get a better cooler. Otherwise you would be decreasing that chip's mean lifetime.

What are you talking about? That is the load temp. I guess my "any higher and it jumps over 72C" statement could have been confusing but I was talking about adding more voltage/increasing multiplier ect. My computer has been folding and/or stress testing 24/7 for two weeks now with no recorded temp over 68C, which is perfectly fine for the chip.

My friend, with his Hyper 212+, has hit maximum of 61C (Core temp and HWmonitor, package. average core max temperature = 57.5C) during OCCT and Prime95 on a Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.256V

So it is definitely not impossible.

During normal use it never goes up to more than 55 (BF3, compiling, sufing, videos...) which is by far not too hot.

Those temps are not recommended That is too high for the chip on operating temps. You will degredate it quickly within 6 months.

First off...no they aren't. Second, you have no idea how quickly it will degrade (if at all).

Also - who are you to call a mid 4 GHz overclock laughable? :rolleyes:

First off...no they aren't. Second, you have no idea how quickly it will degrade (if at all).

Also - who are you to call a mid 4 GHz overclock laughable? :rolleyes:

:withstupid:

My friends 212+ and 2500K together went to 4.5ghz effortlessly and I saw no justification to spending double the price or more on a cooler and only getting MAYBE an 11% higher overclock

(and that was a half hour overclock, I could have gone higher if it was mine and I had it for a couple days for sure)

Edited by IVIYTH0S