is my comp safe?

akbigchillin

i just bought a hp pavillion with the amd a6 3600 quad core processor in it. this is the first comp i've ever overclocked. i've done some reading and downloaded k10stat core temp cpuid super pi and prime 95. the stock speed of the processor is 2.1 ghz. i have overclocked it to 4.7 ghz which is as high as k10stat will go. i also dropped the voltage from 1.475 to 1.2. i have stress tested it with super pi and prime 95 and tempuratures never went above 37 degrees C on any core. the system seems solid no crashes and everything seems to worke usb ports sound etc. my question is basically is there anything i am overlooking that may damage my pc. i am amazed that i have been able to overclock that high and everything remain stable. i just want to make sure there is nothing i am overlooking. thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can give me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i suggest you overclock in the bios over software. i don't see how it's possible to overclock over 100% but yet drop your vcore .25. i think the software is lying it to you and i also would be more concern about what the temps really are.

I haven't used a amd chip in a few years so i could be very wrong but bios the is the best way to overclock and not by software.

i checked in my bios because i had read that that was the better way to go but could not find where i could change my settings to overclock. also i have put my hand next to the heat vents on the comp and there is nothing but cool air comming out even during stress tests... bot core temp and speed fan show my temp at 37 degrees C and both core temp and cpuid show my processor speed at 4.7 ghz

post-80463-0-89471800-1322369711_thumb.png

I doubt the software even knows, or is able to give the system the commands necessary to overclock (oc). To remove any doubt as to what may be overlooked run superpi and prime95 stock and oc'ed comparing the recorded time in each run.

Ummm. The cpuid shot shows over 4ghz..... ummm medical meracle chip???? Idk if that is right. If you would download core temp and or real temp and see what they say the processor clock is. Maybe its possible but that's a far shot on even on the best of cooling and undervolted. At that clock speed increase you will show degrading in time but there is not much of a way to tell. But if the processor is running at that speed undervolted theb you should get enough time from it until you want to replace it. Just keep it as cool as possible and you should get the most possible.

BTW in case I missed it I. The original post what is the load temps.

i have core temp... couldn't seem to get real temp to work... load temps are 37 degrees C according to core temp and speed fan under 100 percent load on all cores with prime 95... i don't particularly want any degradation in my chip at all... i was under the impression that if done right and keeping cpu temps within a safe range that overclocking is completly safe and wont degrade a chip or completly fry it.

i was under the impression that if done right and keeping cpu temps within a safe range that overclocking is completly safe and wont degrade a chip or completly fry it.

This is true but as said before it is not possible to overclock past 100% while also lowering the v core and still have load temps below 40C

I'm tired, and might be repeating people, if so, sorry (2 hours of sleep Haha)

Your CPU screenshot is reporting a fake overclock because you have the multiplier set at 47.

Llano chips have a multiplier bug where both the BIOS and CPUz will report an increased multi, when really, its not.

If you bring the multi back to what it is supposed to be at(which is what it is actually running at), you'll be able to see how much it is actually overclocked.

But to answer your question, yes it is safe because its not overclocked as much as you think. :)

Edit:

Actually, with that bus speed your chip is actually downclocked.

I'm tired, and might be repeating people, if so, sorry (2 hours of sleep Haha)

Your CPU screenshot is reporting a fake overclock because you have the multiplier set at 47.

Llano chips have a multiplier bug where both the BIOS and CPUz will report an increased multi, when really, its not.

If you bring the multi back to what it is supposed to be at(which is what it is actually running at), you'll be able to see how much it is actually overclocked.

But to answer your question, yes it is safe because its not overclocked as much as you think. :)

Edit:

Actually, with that bus speed your chip is actually downclocked.

I've been trying to figure out that bus speed too. I'm used to the 200 MHz of my Phenom, so 100 MHz seemed odd, but the OCC review of the A8-3850 overclocked its bus speed to 125, so I guess 100 could be the correct base speed.

Anyway, there is definitely something screwy going on here. How did the original poster find the CPUs starting voltage? He says he dropped it from 1.475V which is almost as high as ajmatson could go in his review (1.48 V as higher would cause it to heat up so fast the system would power down). Also, since when does an HP computer allow the multiplier and voltage to change on its desktops? I'm thinking there is at least one software bug somewhere here causing things to be misreported.