Which SSD to keep!?

Mombo

Hey I just got the Intel 320 160gb + bf3 AND the Corsair Force GT 120gb off of newegg for the big BF deal. Prices are pretty similar. I know the Force GT is the sata3 powerhouse one. Anyone have experience with them how reliable and everything? I want to get a good one I dont think I need more then 120gb but I know the Intels are solid. Performance wise just using it as a system drive will I notice much of a difference?

How will these two play together if I decide to keep both of them? Should I use one over the other for a system drive vs gaming drive? Will mixing Sandforce chips and the Intel chips going to give me troubles?

First SSD's so im excited and worried all at the same time :)

Edited by Mombo

If you are only keeping one then I would keep the larger of the two, the Intel. From a computing experience point of view you are going to have a really hard time telling the difference. Personally I would keep both and as you mentioned use one just for my games. As for which to use were, well it depends on if you have more games or general apps. Use the largest one were it is needed most.

If you are only keeping one then I would keep the larger of the two, the Intel. From a computing experience point of view you are going to have a really hard time telling the difference. Personally I would keep both and as you mentioned use one just for my games. As for which to use were, well it depends on if you have more games or general apps. Use the largest one were it is needed most.

Seconded

Bleh cant decide what to do lol I should cancel one of them because its so much money but i do want them all badly. Do SSD's work that much better for gaming? I didnt think they were needed as much for games....

They improve load times mostly. The game performance won't be affected. I run every one of my games off of my 7200RPM drive, and really don't feel the need for an SSD there- its more of a luxury than anything.

For gaming, the SSD is really not a good investment of money when compared to a graphics card.

Luckydeath is right and in my opinion wrong at the same time. He is correct in stating that SSDs are not really a bosst to gaming performance and that a video card will do more for game play than an SSD. However I will disagree about a good investment. SSDs are a game changing in the way your computing experience goes. No single upgrade can approach the overall feeel changing experience that an SSD brings. Everything about your computer is snappier and smoother due to amazing increases in your HD access time. Set some one in front of two machines, one with aan Intel i5 overclocked to 4 Ghz with a 6950 and another in front on an Athlon II X4 with a 6670 and let them just USE the computer. The i5 is faster in every imaginable way with benchmarks but to the person using the machine with no knowledge of components or benchmarks the Athlon II is faster, that is how much of a difference an SSD can make in day to day usage.

If money is tight then for sure cancel one, there is no need to spend yourself into a hole over gaming. Just put your OS and the apps/games you use often on the SSD to get the benefit.

Great advice Ed, thirded

Why in the hell would you but two SSDs if you did not want to keep two SSDs.

and why in the hell would you not want to keep two SSDs if you already own the SSDs.

the only thing I have to say is if you are gaming on an E6600+8800GT you should sell one SSD and build an AMD rig.

@Ed: I wasn't trying to say that SSD's are bad investments for the cost. Quite the contrary, I love my SSD and will always try to work one into any build $600 and up (I don't say 'budget' build, because honestly... aren't they all?)

But if you're only looking at gaming performance, and not how your entire PC experience is affected, then it offers relatively little value vs a higher end graphics card. For some, boot/loading times and overall responsiveness take a back seat to the bottom line FPS. In those cases, the money should go towards graphics.

Ignoring Potato... I think its obvious these were good deals and it was a 'buy now, decide later' decision. Better to return it later than decide later on you want it and pay the difference.