GreenGiant's Sandy Bridge Build.

greengiant912

Alright folks, I have been thinking it over for a few weeks, and decided that I am going the route of a Sandy Bridge for my next computer!

I ordered the first wave of parts tonight!

Which include:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130611

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) x2 for a total of 16gigs!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

This should be a nice start to replacing my current setup. I generally don't build a whole new system from scratch, instead I buy base products and use existing hardware to supplement until I can afford more lol... The video card that I will be running in it for at least the next month will be a GTX 260. I do plan on getting a pair of video cards for SLI. The power supply I just replaced earlier this year with a Corsair 700watt psu... I also bought two 1tb WD black SATA 6.0gbs drives earlier this year as well...

As far as Video cards go I think I am going to get a pair of these puppy's, will likely buy them on payday lol...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130622

I also have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029 CPU cooler that I won from last years Christmas contest, that I haven't used yet... Still sitting in the box lol...

Anyways stay tuned this weekend as I will be building this bad boy! I plan on Overclocking this beast hopefully to the 5ghz mark on air, so I can be part of the 5ghz club :P, if not I am content with an easy 4.5ghz heheh...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww... Did you try Microcenter or NCIX (Price match) for that Intel i7 2600K? Or did you just pay MSRP?

I paid retail... I could of likely gotten it a lot cheaper through on of our distribution partners at work, if we have one for CPUs that is...

Just go with the EVGA GTX 570 classifieds, they only cost $350 I believe and have much higher clocks and a better cooler I think :thumbsup:

I will look into that.

I had to order a new Optical drive as well, since this motherboard doesn't have any IDE connections lol... So I picked up this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151222

cpu.jpg

No overclocking yet, as I wont get the brackets I need until next week for my cooler... Right now I am just using the stock cooler. I could likely get it going a little bit, but I really don't have a need to quite yet :)

So I got the heatpipe installed, and wow the temps are nearly 15-20 degrees cooler. Running at about 45c right now (normal browsing usage)!! Without any overclocking!

stock.jpg

So how do I get this thing overcloced, its been awhile since I have actually done some... I want to get this thing to 4.5 if possible. What are the basics I need to up?

Also I have pictures from the build I will add soon!

Edited by greengiant912

Hi Greengiant912,

Had a quick look at your mobo specs, apparently it has a feature called OC Genie II

OC GENIE II (Z68)

Just press the OC Genie button or enable OC Genie II function in BIOS menu, the CPU, memory, iGPU and HDD performance will be highly improved. Whether users want to watch a high bit-rate HD movie or go online gaming, both can be enjoyed with image performance that is smoother and lag-free!

The basics of the usual way though is to either up your base clock speed or up your multiplier (or a combo of both)...you usually up the voltage a little bit as well to help keep the system stable but from what I've read these CPUs handle OC extremely well without really needing to touch the voltage.

It comes down really to what kind of CPU cooling setup you have (as in how efficient it is at keeping the CPU in a good stable temp range) and how high you can go and keep her stable.

But I found some great info in this review on the motherboard I'm getting for my build...different motherboard but the OC setup is completely portable to yours, basically you set a base clock of 100MHz with a multiplier of 38, giving you 3.8GHz on all four cores, all day, every day which saves you some power and helps keep temps down. Then you set the turbo boost multiplier at 50, so whenever it's crunch time in an resource intensive game the CPU dynamically ramps itself up to a maximum 5GHz on all four cores whenever needed.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-maximus-iv-extreme-z-review/

Hope that gives you a good start, your best friend though is just keep researching to get the best out of your system.

Cheers,

Craig

Edit

A tip in OC, always take small steps each time. Do you know if your mobo has dual BIOS chips? This makes your OC almost risk free with being able to switch to your second BIOS and re-flash the first if something seriously goes wrong...as long as you don't go too silly and actually cook your CPU :whoa:

Also it looks like your mobo has one of those new GUI style BIOS, if it's anything like mobo it comes with some present OC options for some quick easy OC testing that would obviosley be within the CPUs capabilites.

Edited by Gagzila

Hi Greengiant912,

Had a quick look at your mobo specs, apparently it has a feature called OC Genie II

The basics of the usual way though is to either up your base clock speed or up your multiplier (or a combo of both)...you usually up the voltage a little bit as well to help keep the system stable but from what I've read these CPUs handle OC extremely well without really needing to touch the voltage.

It comes down really to what kind of CPU cooling setup you have (as in how efficient it is at keeping the CPU in a good stable temp range) and how high you can go and keep her stable.

But I found some great info in this review on the motherboard I'm getting for my build...different motherboard but the OC setup is completely portable to yours, basically you set a base clock of 100MHz with a multiplier of 38, giving you 3.8GHz on all four cores, all day, every day which saves you some power and helps keep temps down. Then you set the turbo boost multiplier at 50, so whenever it's crunch time in an resource intensive game the CPU dynamically ramps itself up to a maximum 5GHz on all four cores whenever needed.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-maximus-iv-extreme-z-review/

Hope that gives you a good start, your best friend though is just keep researching to get the best out of your system.

Cheers,

Craig

Edit

A tip in OC, always take small steps each time. Do you know if your mobo has dual BIOS chips? This makes your OC almost risk free with being able to switch to your second BIOS and re-flash the first if something seriously goes wrong...as long as you don't go too silly and actually cook your CPU :whoa:

Also it looks like your mobo has one of those new GUI style BIOS, if it's anything like mobo it comes with some present OC options for some quick easy OC testing that would obviosley be within the CPUs capabilites.

He has a dual bios and even has a led on the board that can flash code for when one or both bios die. no flash - a ok, 1 (or 4 not sure) flash per second 1st bios dead, 10 (or 4 lol) second bios is dead, solid - both bios fried. Should be located betwwen and to the side of pci-e 1 and 2 and need not be worried about till its flashing at you.

I wouldn't and don't use oc genie on my board, it ups the voltage too much for my liking. Sandy bridge overclocks so easily, oc genie doesn't need to be used.