Which of these processors is a better upgrade?

Okay so i trying to decide a decent cost effective upgrade for this side project ive been working on

Currently i stand with

HP 2028h Mobo with Q33 Chipset Socket Lga 775

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200

3Gb PC2-6400

80 GB Sata 2

200 GB Sata

Sound Blaster Audigy SE

PNY Geforce GT 430

I am trying to decide between the Core 2 Quad Q8400 or The Core i3 2100

The C2Q gets a 3686 Passmark CPU Score

The I3 2100 gets a 3857

Now only looking at gaming performance which one would be a better choice?

The C2Q is 180$ where as the I3 is only 125$ so if i did go with the I3 the diffrence in cost would supplement a mobo to support it. Im not really looking into heavy OCing but im sure i can pick up a 60$ Asus or Msi board that will support some level of OCing. I know with the I3 i can use DDR3 ram but im not looking into the other things just cpu vs cpu performance. The I3 gets about a 200+ higher score but since its dual core HT would that really supplement a true Quad core?

I already planned on going with the c2q q8400 but if the i3 2100 is going be be a noticible diffrence i would definitly keep it in mind

Edited by DnaAngel

Okay so i trying to decide a decent cost effective upgrade for this side project ive been working on

Currently i stand with

HP 2028h Mobo with Q33 Chipset Socket Lga 775

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200

3Gb PC2-6400

80 GB Sata 2

200 GB Sata

Sound Blaster Audigy SE

PNY Geforce GT 430

I am trying to decide between the Core 2 Quad Q8400 or The Core i3 2100

The C2Q gets a 3686 Passmark CPU Score

The I3 2100 gets a 3857

Now only looking at gaming performance which one would be a better choice?

The C2Q is 180$ where as the I3 is only 125$ so if i did go with the I3 the diffrence in cost would supplement a mobo to support it. Im not really looking into heavy OCing but im sure i can pick up a 60$ Asus or Msi board that will support some level of OCing. I know with the I3 i can use DDR3 ram but im not looking into the other things just cpu vs cpu performance. The I3 gets about a 200+ higher score but since its dual core HT would that really supplement a true Quad core?

I already planned on going with the c2q q8400 but if the i3 2100 is going be be a noticible diffrence i would definitly keep it in mind

AMD Phenom II x4 965

i still dont get why people waste their hard earned money on Intel...

My link

Edited by sagemode

Great advice.

You realize he has an Intel board already :glare:

do they make an I3 that fits in his motherboard?

I am not too familiar with the lower series but whatever the choice, I wouldnt upgrade a LGA775 unless the processor is cheap or used

do they make an I3 that fits in his motherboard?

I am not too familiar with the lower series but whatever the choice, I wouldnt upgrade a LGA775 unless the processor is cheap or used

I agree imo if ur upgrading an old cpu its prolly best to upgrade the mobo as well

AMD Phenom II x4 965

My link

I'm pretty sure that hard earned money is going for a better product imo since intel holds the crown since the c2d came out. on another note though I would go with the i3 setup this way if you ever want to upgrade to a i5 or a i7 you could do so with just a cpu upgrade since the board will be 1155 and I'm pretty sure prices will come down a little on the 1155's when 2011 come out later this year or Q1 of next year. The amd setup would beat the i3 though so if you're looking to go that route you could just depends on if you ever want to upgrade or not.

Edited by capthowdy575

I would also go the AMD route and take the 955. And I'm using sandy bridge myself. The 955 is quite a bit better than the i3 and since you have to get a new mobo anyways, you could maybe spend a little more and get a AMD 3+ board, so you have a possibility to upgrade to BD later. The board should be a 900 board. But else you shoul go for the i3, since it also allows upgradeability.

AMD Phenom II x4 965

My link

There is a reason!

Just remember the max OC you are going to see with the 2100 is about 140Mhz due to it being multiplier locked with low bclock headroom..