gaming cpu decision help

ive been looking into building a new pc. ive been looking at processors and dont know what route to go ive been considering the AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz . i wasnt shure if it was worth going for the faster quad core or going for a slower 6 core or something. i was also looking at Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz . i havent decided if i should go intel or amd yet. i generally prefer amd/ati over intel/nvidia. im building this for a serious gaming rig. any help will be great.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have similar problems, but I need to choose between AMD Phenom II X4 955 and AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, not between AMD and Intel, because I'm using AMD since I had a computer, and for gaming I think the AMD can suffice any demands... I 've seen both of them working in practice, and I must say, the X6 is considerably faster than X4. Most people will say to you, the more cores you have, better performance is guaranteed. That's what they been telling me.... But If you want to build serious gaming rig, I recommend AMD X6 1090T, because of six core and low price ( Intel is a bit expensive ), but you can go with an Intel anytime, depending on your financial situation and the other components in your rig... :D

For an Intel I would go with the 2500K, the Hyper threading is a nice extra but when it comes to gaming, right now there is no real advantage. Bojan is of the same opinion I am, that there is no need for a super high end processor. The 955 he mentioned at stock speeds provides enough CPU for most games easily and the few it does need a boost in a light overclock does the job.

An Intel system would give you more raw horsepower today. The 2500K at stock speeds easily gets the job done and with little effort you can take the chip to 4.5Ghz. The AMD system will give the better value today if you go for a lower cost chip and have an upgrade path into Bulldozer.

At the end of the day it is really a coin flip. Either direction will meet your needs easily.

If you can wait another few weeks. The NDA on Bulldozer has to running out soon, it will certainly on Sept 19th - launch date. I remember buying the Celeron 333mhz a month before AMD released Athlon back in 1999 - boy did I regret that decision.......

Ill prolly stick with amd but i rather go top end sense there most exspensive processor is not that bad. Whats their best cpu currently out? And i would like to wait for the bulldozer sadly my computer just died and i cant seem to get it running again im not shure if i can wait that long. (im posting from my phone) :( also what is this turbo socket stuff where its rated 3.3 but 3.7 turbo. Is it legit or basically a gimmick.

Don't make the mistake I did. I went both ways and went fast and got 6 cores from AMD. According to benchmarks its still not as fast as an Intel. Just get an Intel 2500K.

I was an Amd fanboy until I Conned myself into an Intel system. Socket AM3 anything gets EASILY owned by Intel sockets 1156, 1155 or 1366 and 1155 has a slight advantage to 1366 so far as quad cores go. Amd six cores are the only thing that really come close or sometimes beat the Intel quads. But the Intel quads make any Amd chip at this time look like its pounding sand... like they say though bulldozer may change the game or will stay on the trailer. Lol

If you are looking for extreme performance then I would run a setup with a quad core Intel 1155 or 1366 that is oced to the moon and two video cards in crossfire or sli with an ssd. If you want to do sli then Intel is the only logical choice as scaling is best and motherboard choice is limited. If you want crossfire then either will do but Intel will scale a little better. Just make sure the board you get for multigpu will do 2 Pci express lanes at x16 bandwidth.

Hope you can make a dicission soon dude. Sorry your system died on you. What's you play??

Been playing crisys and battlefield and mutiple mmo's. Do many games these days even use sli or crossfire i had a crossfire system not to long ago and it acually seemed like the performance dropped with both cards linked. N i would like to do crossfire from what ive seen lately ati cards have been doing real well in charts and are priced way cheaper. Is there a benifit to kepping amd and ati together? My build that died was an intel and it was the pricessor that started it all lol kinda made me want to go amd.

Have we reached a point where x16/x16 is really needed? I thought x8/x8 was still perfectly adequate and only slowed things down by one or two percent?

Ill see if I can switch the bandwidth of my slots and ill let you know what happens Paul. Ill give that a shot tonight after I get the dragon done.

And yes sli makes a good difference now a days. Its vertually required in one of the games I play or you get no pretty pretty. That's crysis with the mwll mod so there you go.

Although the 2600K is better, the Phenom II 980 will handle any game today and for the next 2 years you throw at it. Mega frame rates mean absolutely nothing if your monitor refresh rate is 60 or 75.90 FPS makes no difference over the 60/75 refresh rate...