gaming cpu decision help

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an Intel I would go with the 2500K, the Hyper threading is a nice extra but when it comes to gaming, right now there is no real advantage. Bojan is of the same opinion I am, that there is no need for a super high end processor. The 955 he mentioned at stock speeds provides enough CPU for most games easily and the few it does need a boost in a light overclock does the job.

An Intel system would give you more raw horsepower today. The 2500K at stock speeds easily gets the job done and with little effort you can take the chip to 4.5Ghz. The AMD system will give the better value today if you go for a lower cost chip and have an upgrade path into Bulldozer.

At the end of the day it is really a coin flip. Either direction will meet your needs easily.

+1

Been playing crisys and battlefield and mutiple mmo's. Do many games these days even use sli or crossfire i had a crossfire system not to long ago and it acually seemed like the performance dropped with both cards linked. N i would like to do crossfire from what ive seen lately ati cards have been doing real well in charts and are priced way cheaper. Is there a benifit to kepping amd and ati together? My build that died was an intel and it was the pricessor that started it all lol kinda made me want to go amd.

There is no advantage that I have seen with going AMD for the entire platform other than a sense of symmetry. I know at the end of the day it is actually meaningless but there is something that feels right about it.

As for Crossfire you will find two different feels about it, I am on the one card side of the argument. My reasoning is that while some games get a really nice boost from it there seem to be an equal number of games that get next to nothing from it. Additionally Crossfire or SLI for that matter introduce another layer for potential instability into the game and I have seen to many games over the years get quirky with dual cards in use. With the current cost of video cards there is really no need for the dual card route for the majority of gamers. In fact unless you go to resolutions higher than 1080, which most do not, I will go so far as to say that crossfire is useless to enhancing the gaming experience.

I would suggest if you can afford it, a 6950 and there should be little you cannot run at max detail. You could tone down to a 6870 and still have the majority maxed out, a 6850 and most MMOs maxed and others still at a high level.

Ok now i have another question kinda un related but when it comes to ram i noticed alot of motherboards will say like can run 1866 o.c or 1366 standard is it worth overclocking to get to the 1866 ram or is it safer and just makes more sense to just buy the 1366 and oc that if i feel i need to.

Ok now i have another question kinda un related but when it comes to ram i noticed alot of motherboards will say like can run 1866 o.c or 1366 standard is it worth overclocking to get to the 1866 ram or is it safer and just makes more sense to just buy the 1366 and oc that if i feel i need to.

Imo.......get at least 1600MHz.

Edited by Drdeath

ok so i think ill go with the 2500k with all the praise it gets all over the place lol now onto mother boards what do you guys think of GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 it looks amazing so far from what ive found. id also go with 16gigs of G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133. any idea of g.skill is any good only ever used corsair n kingston. also ive been looking at the hd 6970. put this all together would it kick some butt or what?

Edited by htaed