Where will monitor resolutions go in the next few years?

I appreciate the extra space of 1920 x 1200, and will go 2560 x 1600 sometime soon, but it's a crazy ~$1,100 price.

The mainstream gamers seem to have gone down to 1920 x 1080, and mainstream users as far as laptops go, are still at 1024 x 768.

Do you guys think it will stay this way for quite a long time, or will we evolve to 3200 x 2000 within 2-3 years?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prices will come down but resolutions will not get any higher except for larger monitors

I agree with this, I think manufacturers have hit their sweet spot for resolutions for now, I think the focus is shifting more towards 3D gaming right now.

I hate that the standard for high end gaming monitors has been reduced to 1920x1080, I will hold onto my 1920x1200 as long as I can (until I'm rollin in dough and get can get a 2560x1600 30")

Check Ebay, they have some quality 30" panels with good warranties under $1000

IMHO, once you game on 2560x1600, I cant stand gaming on another monitor/resolution.

The amount of workspace that I get on this monitor is insane as well, makes multitasking a breeze!

Did I ever tell you I hate you :P

16:10 is just the perfect aspect ratio for max productivity AND great media playback!

Did I ever tell you I hate you :P

16:10 is just the perfect aspect ratio for max productivity AND great media playback!

yeah lower quality video files that I have on the computer dont look the best blown up to full screen, however...I can have OCC open and snapped to the left side of the screen and my excel workbook open on the right side and get a pretty damn good size on both...(to be exact its 1280x1570 on both windows with the taskbar always on top)

When they sell video cards cheap enough to game on those resolutions :P I don't see me moving higher than 1920x1200 for gaming for awhile. $1000 for the 30" monitors is too pricey for me.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Well, Ultra High Definition is the next step. It is about 16 times the resolution of HD screens and roughly equal to an IMAX screen. Some of the resolutions that been tested go up to 7680x4320. However, this technology is still in the experimental stage and won't see units available for consumers until at least 2016, but most likely closer to 2020.