Motherboard design flaw

I will probably return it to stock if the duct idea doesn't work but that meager overclock actually managed to bring most of my games above 30 fps in 1920X1200 (anywhere between 0 and 2x AA) and I can definitely feel the difference playing and on the charts.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am thinking that the direction of the chipset cooler blowing air onto the video card is not a problem, because the video card board is about 1 to 1.5 mm thick which does not seem to me as if the heat will affect the components on the other side.

Also, if heat flows from high temp to low temp then the cpu air being lower than the chipset air will allow heat from the chipset to be picked up, and the chipset air being lower than the video card will allow heat from the video card to be picked up.

Shouldn't matter at all.

If it's bottom mounted, there's usually a fan feed underneath, like in my case, so that the temp stays down. I have the CM 690, and the fan of the PSU faces downwards, so it goes directly out of the case.

I know if it was mine,I'd take out the ide optical drive that does nothing and move the hd that you have almost embedded in the video card up to that spot, also the 80 mil fan under the video card is actually taking air away from your video card fan, IMHO.

I know if it was mine,I'd take out the ide optical drive that does nothing and move the hd that you have almost embedded in the video card up to that spot, also the 80 mil fan under the video card is actually taking air away from your video card fan, IMHO.

that's another great idea, I will definitely move that drive, the fan under the video card I actually modded to blow in and has definitely reduced the video card temp considerably.

sticknstone is also partially right, I took a temp with fur before and after I blocked the air flow with a cd case and it only changed by 4 degrees C, I'm beginning to think the only awesome answer is water cooling and a better case but those are far off.

I will probably return it to stock if the duct idea doesn't work but that meager overclock actually managed to bring most of my games above 30 fps in 1920X1200 (anywhere between 0 and 2x AA) and I can definitely feel the difference playing and on the charts.

Sometimes you have to accept when your hardware can't handle things anymore :( . Personally, I've OC it as far as it will go and leave it on auto fan the fan has a custom profile built in to ramp up when the card is getting too hot!

If it's bottom mounted, there's usually a fan feed underneath, like in my case, so that the temp stays down. I have the CM 690, and the fan of the PSU faces downwards, so it goes directly out of the case.

Yeah but the PSU always exhausts outward so it doesn't matter. A top mounted PSU may ever so slightly aid in hot air removal.

Plus for my particular power supply, the fan sucks in from inside the PSU so top or bottom fitment wouldn't affect anything for me

sticknstone is also partially right, I took a temp with fur before and after I blocked the air flow with a cd case and it only changed by 4 degrees C, I'm beginning to think the only awesome answer is water cooling and a better case but those are far off.

It looks like you have a nice rig in a sub $50 case. Your temps are all within spec by a good margin, but a better case would def lower the temps a bit.

Thank you all so much for the help, I think IVIYTH0S is right, for years I couldn't get anything to require above fan cooling at the clocks I believed were efficient, I think I have finally hit my brick wall and require professional cooling, I can't afford it right now but when I can I will be sure to ask the community about either peltier or water cooling solutions for my video cpu and chipset. Now I just need to become employed. This was alot easier when I was little and we were working with O.C.ing pentium 2 350's to 500, all I Ever had to do was screw two additional fans to the cpu's cartridge and it was good to go :P.

Yeah but the PSU always exhausts outward so it doesn't matter. A top mounted PSU may ever so slightly aid in hot air removal.

Plus for my particular power supply, the fan sucks in from inside the PSU so top or bottom fitment wouldn't affect anything for me

Having the PSU mounted on the bottom means you can have a top mounted fan to blow the rising hot air out, and nearly every case I see with a bottom mounted PSU also has a fan mounted up top. It also means that the PSU down at the bottom is getting cool air into it. It is perfectly logical to have a bottom mounted PSU rather than a top mounted PSU.