Motherboard design flaw

This board has been awesome to me in every aspect but the cooling setup, basically the power supply blows into the CPU which in turn blows into the chipset cooler which then deposits directly onto the back plate for my video card. I have jury rigged a slot fan to blow into the video card and the temper dropped from 76C to 73C, the chipset sits at 65C and the CPU sits at 51C. It's all overclocked and the fans are all manually set to 100%. If I let my videocard control it's own fan the card temp rises to 92C which is unacceptable. the front case fan is blowing in and the case fan featured in the picture is blowing out. powersupply blows in. All temperatures were taken under furmark load.

I uploaded this pic so you can see my problem first hand as i cannot upgrade anytime soon and i am stumped. Thinking some kind of crazy duct tape mod

post-76604-0-71711700-1307146450_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL your totally right, my last one was a pile (clear plexiglass no name) and blew in but I replaced it. As far as the CPU goes I'm ok with the temp, that's actually moderately over volted and clocked from 2.53Ghz to 3.16Ghz and still remains a respectable temp under loads unfortunately the video card dirties (also heats moths and plugs heatsinks) rather quickly at parties and already runs warm.

Your power supply fan blows out, not in.

Got enough for a CPU heatsink upgrade?

You need

1. a better CPU heatsink

2.to know that the PSU fan blows out not in

3. and more case fans,(your temps seen very high!)

Also how is this a motherboard design flaw? Seems like a system cooling issue to me.

Edited by Black6464

You need

1. a better CPU heatsink

Also how is this a motherboard design flaw? Seems like a system cooling issue to me.

The Chipset fan (built in) blows down, instead of to the back.

You need

1. a better CPU heatsink

1. Can't afford upgrade just yet, will be water cooled next year when the board is upgraded.

2. Already established thank you, worried about the video card not my CPU. CPU $85 (plus I have a spare) GPU $215.

3. My PC drowns out whispers and knocks at the door, I really don't want it much louder.

Having my chipset (which is notorious for high running temps) channeling its hot air directly onto my video card seems like a design flaw when they could have easily turned it 90 degrees in either direction and avoided it. I'm no rocket scientist but it seems to me they may have over looked that considering this is marketed to be an enthusiast board

maybe add a duct in the tight space left between heatsink and videocard?

80C is well within spec for a videocard.

Maybe your nvidia chipset likes to kill ati cards ;)

EDIT:

Wait a minute... you have other pcie slots... just move the card!

Edited by medbor

It's the XFX radeon HD5850 HD-585X-ZAFC O.C. from 725 core 1000 mem to 765 core 1070 mem

Maybe try not overclocking?? it's an XFX so if it overheats and dies, that isn't your fault at stock clocks. If auto fan allows the chip to get to above 90C then I'd say it's fine.

Seems to me like you need a bottom mounted PSU case.

Shouldn't matter at all.

1. Can't afford upgrade just yet, will be water cooled next year when the board is upgraded.

2. Already established thank you, worried about the video card not my CPU. CPU $85 (plus I have a spare) GPU $215.

3. My PC drowns out whispers and knocks at the door, I really don't want it much louder.

Having my chipset (which is notorious for high running temps) channeling its hot air directly onto my video card seems like a design flaw when they could have easily turned it 90 degrees in either direction and avoided it. I'm no rocket scientist but it seems to me they may have over looked that considering this is marketed to be an enthusiast board

Like I said just let it run auto, and stock clocked. Auto fan will run the fan as high as it needs to be