Overclocking an Asus G73sw laptop

Fifth

I've searched and searched the internet all over the place and still can't find anything on being able to OC my new Asus G73sw laptops cpu.

So does anyone know how to overclock the Asus g73sw's CPU? No option in bios and its the newest bios out. It's 2.0ghz stock and 2.9ghz turbo boost...I would like to be able to set it at 2.9ghz constant when needed instead of relying on turbo boost. Hell, prime95 only makes it run at 2.6ghz. Does pretty good as far as benchmarking on stock speeds, though I have the GPU (460m running at - Core 880mhz, Shader 1750mhz and Memory 1625, which is maxed in MSI afterburner) - 630 in Heaven and 16,941 in 3dmark06...neither make it run at 2.9ghz though Heaven keeps it at stock 2.0ghz, and 3dmark06 pushes it to 2.5ghz. Temps are great to, I must say this is the coolest running laptop I've seen in a while!

I just want tp be able to set the CPU to the clock speed I want it and even push it past 2.9 to see the full potential of this new toy of mine! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

It might have some sort of power saving feature that is throttling the CPU even when it's at max usage.

I have it set to High Performance Mode with all the power saving options turned off, unless of course I'm on battery.

I have it set to High Performance Mode with all the power saving options turned off, unless of course I'm on battery.

Ya, when your on battery, the graphics and cpu aren't running at "max" power. If you want to get max performance, you should always plug it in the adapter.

Also, I don't think you can overclock CPUs on laptops.

Ya, when your on battery, the graphics and cpu aren't running at "max" power. If you want to get max performance, you should always plug it in the adapter.

Also, I don't think you can overclock CPUs on laptops.

It's not really OCing it,..I just want to set turbo boost to run @ 2.9 when ever I want it too.

2.9 is only for single threaded loads.

There might be some clockgen software clocks, but as long as you dont manually modify your bios (which i DO NOT recomend), you are probably stuck.

That cpu still wipes the floor with 99% of the worlds cpus (easily on par with 1366 quads)

• 1 month later...

2.9 is only for single threaded loads.

There might be some clockgen software clocks, but as long as you dont manually modify your bios (which i DO NOT recomend), you are probably stuck.

That cpu still wipes the floor with 99% of the worlds cpus (easily on par with 1366 quads)

Thank you very much, in the 24 years I use/work with computers I never OC-ed. Now I was searching for the possibility (? I'm Dutch). You made it clear to me that I should not bother anymore and be very satisfied with the power I have, which I am of course.

I'm very fond of my brand new and powerfull laptop. Sometimes it amazes me.

The strangest thing is I have also a G73Sw, but I have 6 Gb mem, which is enough for me. And my graphics can go to 1920 x 1080, I'm lucky.

Again thanks,

John

I recently bought an Acer Laptop that has i7 2630QM and a GeForce 540M 1GB and got it Overclocked @833/999 (I don't know why but i keep getting artifacts when i try to reach 1 Ghz on Memory)

56639810.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know about the processor though. i'd say they can't oveclocked. the heatsink on laptop is only able to hold the stock temp(or so i would presume. Plus, even if i want to use the turbo boost, i have to manually set the affinity core to fully use the turbo core from intel.....

Edited by hermes09

Just a silly question. Why would you overclock a laptop and generate more heat? More heat leads to a quaicker life for many things. Monitor, HDD amongst others.