Car Mod Thread -- PICTURES!

BluePanda

yeah, you have to get the windows tinted! lol

here is what mine looks like with limo (5%) on the back windows and 35% on the front two...

post-15428-0-34740300-1306437208_thumb.jpg

crappy camera on the cell phone, but you get the idea...car is a little dirty as its been raining and drove on a dirt road last night or I would take a better picture right now with my camera... :D

Well I figured we should probably have black headlights to go with everything too - so I pulled them apart and painted all but the reflector black. I'm starting to hate masking things off. :lol:

DSCN2038.JPG

DSCN2041.JPG

I had a little...um...mishap with the side marker light housings. New ones are on the way (blacked out ones). That's all I have to say about that. :doh: We'll probably pick up a can of VHT taillight blackout stuff in the next few days too. Thankfully the taillights come out REALLY easily so we can do it down the road as well if we run out of time.

Edited by Waco

have your neighbors thought you guys have lost it yet or do they think its cool and has this been mentioned to any school staff of importance or no???

it does look nice and would look better all finished and with tinted windows so hope you enjoy it :)

Interested to see what the lights will be like, turned out pretty damn good for a non shop, outside job.

How much has it cost you guys so far??

Thanks! As for the cost - we're sitting at about $150 because of my little side marker light mishap. Not bad at all IMHO. The tint will obviously be a bit more but we're still looking at a total cost of under $250 for everything.

This is Waco btw - BluePanda didn't have anything to do with the messed up lights. :lol:

Edited by BluePanda

have your neighbors thought you guys have lost it yet or do they think its cool and has this been mentioned to any school staff of importance or no???

it does look nice and would look better all finished and with tinted windows so hope you enjoy it :)

Neighbors have been out watching. Skeptical at first but seem to like how it has turned out. I've been talking with the school media people... should be going somewhere soon. At least a spot on our website!

Thanks! As for the cost - we're sitting at about $150 because of my little side marker light mishap. Not bad at all IMHO. The tint will obviously be a bit more but we're still looking at a total cost of under $250 for everything.

This is Waco btw - BluePanda didn't have anything to do with the messed up lights. :lol:

Nice!! I bet Maaco is having a fit :lol: . I'll have to keep this in mind!

Neighbors have been out watching. Skeptical at first but seem to like how it has turned out. I've been talking with the school media people... should be going somewhere soon. At least a spot on our website!

Naturally, I bet we all were to some extent but it all turned out :thumbsup:

A lot of people will just spray the VHT Nightshade on the outside of the lenses. Which is fine but spray paint kind of scratches easy. You can toss your headlight/tail lights in the oven and bake them to get the lens off easy with out breaking anything.

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/Bake.pdf

That pdf will show you how. I have done it before and works great. Then you can spray the VHT on the inside of the lens.

I did not notice if you said it or not, but did you add any clear coat to your car? Might be a bit more expensive but it should help protect your paint job a bit longer.

Also wash it up and get a nice coat of Wax on it.

Looks great though! I would not be ashamed to drive that :)

Yeah - that baking process is how I screwed up the corner lights. They are a different plastic than the headlights and after a few minutes the whole lens melted before the glue ever got soft. :mfp:

It did work great for the headlights though. :)

I'll probably put a laquer clear coat on the taillights after we darken them (and while we're at it I think I'm going to do my Cobalt taillights :biggrin:) to make them last longer.

We are waiting a few days for the paint to cure before final wet sanding, polishing, and waxing. We're doing minor details while we wait for that (touching up spots, doing the head/tail lights, etc).

Edited by Waco