Overclocking & PC life span

ocnnor

yea i know, I was trying to explain that overclocking has a very small impact on component life in general.

It can though - it's all luck at some point. If you overclock you are more likely to see a failure in the first few years of use.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can though - it's all luck at some point. If you overclock you are more likely to see a failure in the first few years of use.

Yeeeup, if something is gonna fail overclocked or not, it's gonna do it in it's warranty period most likely otherwise you'll probably get a decent bit more mileage out of it.

i never had a cpu die but a had few caps explode from overclocking. its a crap shoot. but if you do it right you'll end up selling the rig before it has any problems (2-3years of use than sell).

Yeeeup, if something is gonna fail overclocked or not, it's gonna do it in it's warranty period most likely otherwise you'll probably get a decent bit more mileage out of it.

I've only had one component fail, twice (it and it's replacement) neither time within the warranty. The first time it failed about a month outside the warranty, though it started to fail within the warranty. It was a laptop motherboard that couldn't take the stress of being carried in a messenger bag :doh: The original took awhile before it was only throwing IRQ errors to the point that the screen wouldn't load, but the replacement (at $220 after a few months trying to get it replaced) failed after the first time I carried it to school in its messenger bag. Bought it from CyberPowerPC but they had me go to MSI for the repair. This is why I tend away from MSI, though my MSI GTS 250 has been fine thus far.

I look at it this way....the people that are asking the question "will overclocking hurt my PC" shouldn't be overclocking in the first place. The only negative reputation that Overclocking has gained over the years is because of such people......lack of knowledge, research, and understanding of how a PC works is a major factor in component failure to those that are "overclocking" improperly.

I look at it this way....the people that are asking the question "will overclocking hurt my PC" shouldn't be overclocking in the first place. The only negative reputation that Overclocking has gained over the years is because of such people......lack of knowledge, research, and understanding of how a PC works is a major factor in component failure to those that are "overclocking" improperly.

A little harsh IMHO...to me it's a completely valid question that one who is interested in possibly OCing is likely to ask. It shows one is responsible about their components and don't just have a "faster = better" attitude.

Topic title says "Poll" but no poll :)

Anyways - lots of valid arguments one way or another.

Properly overclocked and cared for pc components should last long enough to get you to your next upgrade - that's my only consideration :)

I've only burned one piece of equipment overclocking. A motherboard (I won't mention the brand or model) because I did it to myself and it didn't have anything to do with who made the m/b or whether it was a good m/b.

I never run a 24/7 balls to the wall overclock though. With the performance level of modern day enthusiast class parts - most of us probably don't really need to overclock at all. But I do because I can, and because it's one of my hobbies. Otherwise I'd be a member at the Quilt Lovers of America forums instead of here :)

if you put your computer balls to the wall than it's going to die within a day or so. this why setting world records is a pain. heat and they kill $1000 chips in minutes.

otherwise running it somewhat above stock speeds won't have any effect at all, even better if you just match to the highest retail cpu because than you are just saving money getting your cpu up to the same speed.

Edited by hornybluecow

I never run a 24/7 balls to the wall overclock though. With the performance level of modern day enthusiast class parts - most of us probably don't really need to overclock at all. But I do because I can, and because it's one of my hobbies. Otherwise I'd be a member at the Quilt Lovers of America forums instead of here :)

I wouldn't say mine is "balls to the wall", but it is as high as I can get it, but I think it can actually go higher if I had a different motherboard (same model, just different board, is my thinking).

BTW: Quilters Club of America Forums

PS. They have more members than us! 80042 vs 63199

My roommate is still using the last rig I overclocked. It still works perfect too...other than the mobo getting hit by lightning through my router and having the 100MB/s jack fried haha

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core @2.3GHz

2GB PC3200 @whatever speed for 2.3GHz lol

GeForce FX5900se with arctic cooler 4 (stock again...got lazy)

But I built this rig in 2004 and it is still running. I think it has been power cycled less than 100 times because it has been a champ. Never really had an issue with it, and it was the first rig I built and overclocked myself at the end of HS.

I wouldn't say mine is "balls to the wall", but it is as high as I can get it, but I think it can actually go higher if I had a different motherboard (same model, just different board, is my thinking).

BTW: Quilters Club of America Forums

PS. They have more members than us! 80042 vs 63199

LMAO - I just pulled that out of my butt crack. I didn't have an idea something even existed.................

if you put your computer balls to the wall than it's going to die within a day or so. this why setting world records is a pain. heat and they kill $1000 chips in minutes.

otherwise running it somewhat above stock speeds won't have any effect at all, even better if you just match to the highest retail cpu because than you are just saving money getting your cpu up to the same speed.

Drawing the line is not always so easy. What constitutes a "balls to the wall" overclock versus a reasonable one?