Overclocking & PC life span

ocnnor

What you're talking about is electron migration - it's not quite the same thing as arcing (which is electricity jumping across open air). It's definitely bad though. :P

Thank you for the correction, seriously, thank you. Now I can use the proper term in the future, and others can look it up more easily.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it this way....the people that are asking the question "will overclocking hurt my PC" shouldn't be overclocking in the first place. The only negative reputation that Overclocking has gained over the years is because of such people......lack of knowledge, research, and understanding of how a PC works is a major factor in component failure to those that are "overclocking" improperly.

I ask the question because I am new to overclocking (havent done it yet, still researching and learning) and Ive read conflicting statements. Just wanted to know everyone opinion. Thanks for being so inviting

I let my friend borrow a P4 1.6GHz that was overclocked to 2.2GHz. That was back in 2004, just got it back last week. Still works, LOL. However, 1 IDE connection is bad and on-board LAN failed.

Edited by NoKz

I ask the question because I am new to overclocking (havent done it yet, still researching and learning) and Ive read conflicting statements. Just wanted to know everyone opinion. Thanks for being so inviting

Hey ocnnor - nothing wrong with asking the question, so don't worry about that. One way to learn is to ask :)

Anyway - short and sweet - if you overclock correctly, keep your temperatures in check, and don't go crazy with voltages - your gear will last you about as long as you want to keep it.

One thing I do when I'm o'cing a new piece of equipment is to research around the web and see what kind of o/c results other people are getting. That gives you an idea about what your hardware "might" be capable of. For 24/7 operation you can probably settle in at the middle or lower end of those results and be in good shape forever.

Good luck, keep asking questions, read-read-read-read, be conservative since you're new and take baby steps. You'll be fine :)

Hey ocnnor - nothing wrong with asking the question, so don't worry about that. One way to learn is to ask :)

Anyway - short and sweet - if you overclock correctly, keep your temperatures in check, and don't go crazy with voltages - your gear will last you about as long as you want to keep it.

One thing I do when I'm o'cing a new piece of equipment is to research around the web and see what kind of o/c results other people are getting. That gives you an idea about what your hardware "might" be capable of. For 24/7 operation you can probably settle in at the middle or lower end of those results and be in good shape forever.

Good luck, keep asking questions, read-read-read-read, be conservative since you're new and take baby steps. You'll be fine :)

What are some good programs for monitoring temp/voltage/etc. I have CPUz and Prime95. Whats good for temp monitoring? Anything better than CPUz or P95?

I exclusively use CoreTemp or RealTemp. Both work well - and work on wide range of motherboards and motherboard platforms. I even prefer them over most of the oem included temperature monitoring software included with many motherboards these days.

Overall I don't disagree in general but don't pull numbers out of your butt like that.

My motherboard lasted just over 2 years before bursting into flames and none of my settings were "extreme" or beyond recommended settings. There is no "obvious" fact that says your components will live nearly as long when overclocked.

Were your tempts to high? Why the hell would your MB 'burst into flames?' That's seems, odd... spontaneous combustion, anyone! biggrin.gif

Were your tempts to high? Why the hell would your MB 'burst into flames?' That's seems, odd... spontaneous combustion, anyone! biggrin.gif

:lol: The power circuitry just gave up the ghost and disintegrated. Temps weren't out of hand at all - the utility from DFI to read board temps was reporting everything in the green.

Bluepanda will never admit to it, but she intentionally set Waco's motherboard on fire :)

She was possessed by e-penis envy........................

Freud may have been important, but to me he's still a sick man.

Now I'm possessed to ask why you would go to that?