Help get my i7 920 D0 over 3.6GHz...

t0asty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank ya'll a lot. I am going to try that lowering of the BCLK and see if that makes me stable I suppose. It just stinks that I am at 3.8 now and will only be going down from here...

As for those Dram/Uncore comments, that has all been changed in the bios settings to where it should be now. I don't know how it ran for so long at those speeds haha.

WOOO!!! Just completed a whole pass on Prime95 for about 20 minutes. That is definitely a good start I think.

Looked around the internet for a few more ideas before I started down clocking and ended up with the following settings:

BCLK = 200 x 19 = 3.8GHz

QPI Freq = 7.2

Uncore Freq = 3200MHz

Dram Freq = underclocked at 600MHz (DDR3 1200), crashed when windows loaded when clocked to stock speeds (1600)

CPU Voltage = 1.275

DRAM Voltage = 1.65

IOH Voltage = 1.16V (this was one that seemed to be underclocked previously)

VTT(QPI) Voltage = 1.34 (another underclocked setting I found)

ICH = left at Auto

IOH CSI = Auto

IOH/ICE PCIE = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.88

Set the Ram timings at 9-9-9-24-92 2T

So not too much changed. I read around on several sites that mentioed the VTT/QPI voltaged needed to be around 1.35 on these boards, so I feel like that helped.

Now theres another problem. I idle in the upper 40's/low 50's and during Prime95 I hit 98 :whoa: I am sure my cheap Arctic Cooling 90mm CPU fan has something to do with that... Before at 1.275V I idled at 40 and hit around mid 80 maxed out, just seemed like a huge increase to me.

for air cooling you'll be hard pressed to stay under 75c for prime95 and 45-50c idle. but it's good to your getting results.

The 920 is a tank, I'm not worried as long as it's under 90C, hottest mine's got at 4.2ghz has been 85C

Yeah I don't think it will ever get that high again in normal everyday use. I am still looking around for a good deal on possibly an H50 or something along those lines.

But as for the OC, what now? Should I just try and slowly raise my BCLK and see how high I can get it before I am unstable again?

yep.. and it takes a while. you could skip a bit and just try 190 and take a stab at it. i mean with all your settings and voltages your pretty damn close to a stable rig for anything to 200BLCK. for the OCZ ram i thought it was my board when i couldn't go past 1200 than i got a pair of mushkin ram and ran at 1700. you may want to jump on OCZ forums and see if they have any better solution but as far as i can tell OCZ ram does not work well on that particular board. on the other hand you did manage above 2400 speeds which is godlike.

Edited by hornybluecow

t0asty -

Getting you right to the point where you can start increasing your bclk and dram frequency - based on my experience with that same board and i7 920.......................................

CPU voltage - raise to 1.30v and start pushing the bclk

IOH voltage increase to 1.25v (up to 1.30v is safe)

VTT/QPI voltage - the ASRock x58 boards take at least 1.30 - 1.35v to get stable at high clocks. You may want to try as high as 1.40v on this setting but watch your cpu temps and be mindful that Intel says anything above 1.35v will blow up your processor.................... that's not true by the way...................................

Really need to get your RAM closer to spec'd speed or tighten your timings. Your DRAM frequency is waaayyy low considering how loose your timings are and trfc is def out of whack at 92 - at 1200Mhz it should be down around 56.

At any rate, if you want to push your memory speed HIGHER change trfc to something in the neighborhood of 103 - 113, keep your other four primary memory timings the same though.

Be advised - that board is probably going to bottom out at a bclk around 210

Hey yall, I have done a good amount of research on this website and others about overclocking an i7. I seem to have hit a wall @ 4GHz. System info: i7-950 D0, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage Formula III, 6GB G.Skill PI 1600MHz, Corsair 850W PSU. I am stable @ 4GHz with these settings:

CPU Multi- 23

BCLK- 174

RAM- 1395MHz

LLC- %50

CPU Volt- 1.3

CPU PLL- 1.8

QPI- 1.3

RAM Volt- 1.65

IOH- 1.2

IOH PCIE- 1.55 (I run overclocked GTX 470's in SLI)

ICH- 1.2

CPU/PCIE Spread Spectrum- Disabled

SpeedStep- Disabled

C1E & C states- Enabled

Hyperthreading- Enabled

Everything else on Auto.

average cpu core temp- 70c @ load

I have tried x24, x23 & x21 multipliers to achieve 4.2GHz clock with no luck (Resulting RAM clocks between 1300-1450MHz). I have loosened RAM timings and tried 2N Command with no luck. I have even cranked the CPU/QPI volt to 1.4 and bumped PLL to 1.89 with no luck. I want to maintain the C states power saving features, so I am trying to achieve max stable clock with these enabled. I can boot into windows @ 4.2GHz but once I load prime95 I only get maybe a minute or two before either a BSOD (didnt return clock on secondary processor in time) or system lock. Any info anybody could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help- Josh.

did you try lowering the cpu multi and seeing if it's stable at a higher bclock but lower main frequency?

I have gone down to a x21 multiplier with whichever BCLK = closest to 4GHz cpu clock, and it was stable there. It seems x24, x23 and x21 multi's were stable @ 4GHz, just going beyond that is where I lose stability...

• 2 weeks later...

hey OCC, I hate to bump this thread back up, but I found out that when I crossfired the 6950's, the OC was found to be unstable for some reason, even though it survived Prime95...? I completely cleared the cmos after saving the previous OC I had in the bios.

Here are my settings that I posted above:

BCLK = 200 x 19 = 3.8GHz

QPI Freq = 7.2

Uncore Freq = 3200MHz

Dram Freq = underclocked at 600MHz (DDR3 1200), crashed when windows loaded when clocked to stock speeds (1600)

CPU Voltage = 1.275

DRAM Voltage = 1.65

IOH Voltage = 1.16V

VTT(QPI) Voltage = 1.34

ICH = left at Auto

IOH CSI = Auto

IOH/ICE PCIE = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.88

Ram timings 9-9-9-24-92 2T

Anyone see something that I should try increasing in order to become stable in crossfire? I know the ram timings are a little too loose as someone stated above, and trying to run the ram at the rated 800mhz speeds caused instability, so I left it as is. I am tempting to start over, leave everything at auto and just start raising the BCLK until I am unstable and see where that gets me.