Help get my i7 920 D0 over 3.6GHz...

t0asty

I need a little help getting a more stable OC for my CPU. I have been using this guide to get a foundation started for my overclock since he has the same MB and he breaks everything down really well. This person, along with a few others in that forum said they used the same settings and were able to get a stable 4.0+ OC. I on the other hand, am stuck at 3.6ghz. Any higher and Prime95 crashes around test 4.

Below are screenshots of my bios settings, most of them set to how he explains it in his guide. My ram is rated for 1600MHz with timings of 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65v. (that whole DRAM/Uncore ratio stuff is the most confusing to me), so that under clocking seems like it might be part of the culprit, but I am not able to go any higher to get closer to the 1600 without increasing the CPU BCLK or multiplier settings.

IMG00011-20110325-1444.jpg

IMG00012-20110325-1445.jpg

IMG00013-20110325-1445.jpg

Let me know if you see anything that I should try and change or need more information on. I guess it's a possibility that I have a bad MB/CPU that can't OC that high and that is fine with me since 3.6 is still plenty fast for everything I do. I just don't want to give up just yet though!! Thanks a lot.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you BSOD on Prime95 at arount Test 4, that usually means it's a memory issue. Set your DRAM Timings manually to 9-9-9-24-1T and see how that works.

tCL = 9

tRCD = 9

tRP = 9

tRAS = 24

DRAM Command Rate = 1T

Your Uncore Frequency is too high, and your DRAM Frequency should be set closer to 1600MHz than 1333Mhz.

yeah on the BSOD it did say it was a memtest dump (something along those lines). **edit**, okay I just refreshed and saw your explanation.

I am unable to go any higher on the DRAM frequency. Currently its at 1368MHz (DDR3 2736) <--- this is the part I am confused on. Which one of those numbers do I want to match to the 1600?

Edited by t0asty

yeah on the BSOD it did say it was a memtest dump (something along those lines). **edit**, okay I just refreshed and saw your explanation

If that doesn't work, you may need to loosen your timings even more to something like 9-11-9-27-2T. As a good rule of thumb, you should always try to reach your max stable CPU overclocks first by loosening your RAM timings so you can rule out most problems coming from your memory. Once you get the stable CPU overclock you're looking for, you can begin to tighten your timings.

I am unable to go any higher on the DRAM frequency. Currently its at 1368MHz (DDR3 2736) <--- this is the part I am confused on. Which one of those numbers do I want to match to the 1600?

Set your Uncore Frequency to 16x. Then set your DRAM Frequency to 1600MHz. Then set your BCLK to 200 and your CPU multiplier to 20.

Sorry, your Uncore Frequency wasn't too high, it's fine (I was thinking of something else). You should just need to adjust your DRAM timings, maybe add a little extra juice for your CPU Voltage, OwinC's link will help a lot.

I've attached an Excel 2007 spreadsheet of my i7 overclocking... I think the last column is what I settled on...

Highlighted red cells are near-certain causes of instability

Orange cells are possible causes

Green cells are near-certain causes of stability (i.e. good values)

I found that for some of the settings (e.g. IOH V), the value needed to be set according to the speeds being used... so it was more a case of tuning in the voltage up and down, to home in on the best value, rather than getting into the mindset that 1.1v is stock/low, and 1.3v is high and most stable... because when I tried different speeds, this type of assumption was wrong

So, I can't really tell you what to do, but hopefully you can take a look at the spreadsheet and get an idea of what settings to change, the values to try, and a *very rough* idea of which combinations of values are going to give you stability

i7 overclocking.zip

My ram is rated for 1600MHz with timings of 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65v.

your ram i s rated at 800mhz which is DDR1600 (damn marketing). remember it's always double (hence double data rate). even at 1300mhz you are surpassing DDR 2400 which might be your whole issue. keep it at 800mhz/DDR 1600

Edited by hornybluecow

awesome guys, thanks for the help and clearing up those few things I was confused about. I am reading over the link and that spreadsheet right now. I am going to give it a shot in the morning and let you all know how it goes. Hopefully I can get a pretty good overclock from all this.

I just noticed in your sig you say you have a Asrock board. to me it looks like you have some of the same stuff. anyways i found OCZ memory doesnt' works well on that board (its all over there forums). i ended up selling my ram so i can overclock with stability i had mushkin and now g.skills (both work great). when i get home i'll post my settings for 3.8ghz. it may help a bit.

Edited by hornybluecow

your ram i s rated at 800mhz which is DDR1600 (damn marketing). remember it's always double (hence double data rate). even at 1300mhz you are surpassing DDR 2400 which might be your whole issue. keep it at 800mhz/DDR 1600

:withstupid: :withstupid:

I'm surprised no one else noticed this, his ram is trying to run at 2700+mhz , I'd attribute that to 300% of his current issues.