Best Videocard & Processor ever

Fragsman

Here's my theory. If there's an identical version of you, say a clone of you magically appeared, it will be exactly like you. However, from that moment on, it will be different because each of yourself knows that there is a clone of themselves, and will have to make different decisions because of that factor.

As far as souls (whatever definition that may be), who's to say the soul isn't duplicated as well? Also, is a soul determined by just who you are, or your experiences? Say this soul is switched to another body, what part of your soul will be recognized by the new body?

Interesting idea, my belief is that the soul is the person, the body is there shell if you like, without a soul that will be like any other animal. So the soul is an extra cellular part of the body that is unique to each body, dont you think that if the soul was cellular that every different brain studied would have radical differences? The makeup of our bodies are largely identical from one to another within the same race and between races, but people are radically different, i find it hard and quite scary in fact to try believe that a persons soul is determined by genes same as the rest of their body, as that would lead to the belief that in same way we can physically alter an organism before birth we could mentally alter it.

Interesting idea, my belief is that the soul is the person, the body is there shell if you like, without a soul that will be like any other animal. So the soul is an extra cellular part of the body that is unique to each body, dont you think that if the soul was cellular that every different brain studied would have radical differences? The makeup of our bodies are largely identical from one to another within the same race and between races, but people are radically different, i find it hard and quite scary in fact to try believe that a persons soul is determined by genes same as the rest of their body, as that would lead to the belief that in same way we can physically alter an organism before birth we could mentally alter it.

what about the way that the neurons are connected and how they transfer data and the memories they hold(data they hold), these are all relatively the same yes, but not exactly the same, doesn't this make up who you are, therefore making up your soul? maybe you are looking for your soul to be dramatically different from others, but we are all human, made in His image, why would each soul have so many differences?

***NOTE: i am not admitting these to be my personally held beliefs, just playing devil's(bad analogy i know) advocate.***

Edited by Griever2003

what about the way that the neurons are connected and how they transfer data and the memories they hold(data they hold), these are all relatively the same yes, but not exactly the same, doesn't this make up who you are, therefore making up your soul? maybe you are looking for your soul to be dramatically different from others, but we are all human, made in His image, why would each soul have so many differences?

***NOTE: i am not admitting these to be my personally held beliefs, just playing devil's(bad analogy i know) advocate.***

I dont know exactly, but its the explanation that makes best sense to me. As for having differences when we are all made is his image, we have large physical differences so why not soul differences?

My take about the whole "Made in His image" thing is why don't we all look the same? Also, at what point did he make us in His image? When we were hairy everywhere? You would think He'd be mad at us for getting haircuts and shaving and what not.

A computer hard drive from one to the next are all essentially identical but the data contained is what makes them different. Same with peoples' brains. :)

But you can train yourself to have pattern recognition to greatly increase your speed. If that weren't the case then it would take you the same amount of time to complete a task as when you first learned how to do it.

thats called caching

A computer hard drive from one to the next are all essentially identical but the data contained is what makes them different. Same with peoples' brains. :)

In that case what makes a brain any more than a sophisticated cpu/hdd in one?

Has imagined that they had a clone to do all their schoolwork, and job work while they just go enjoy themselves??

or

Ever wondered if when finding or creating a clone of oneself, would it be hard to do different things than one another?? Like both thinking the same thing but trying to be different in the same way :O

In that case what makes a brain any more than a sophisticated cpu/hdd in one?

It doesn't.

Your reasoning about neurons not feeling emotions is true, but that's like saying a single bit is nothing but a yes or no, and that there must be something else to define all those bits (in your logic the soul is that thing, but in my scenario it would be more like the OS). The brain isn't made of single neurons that don't connect. It's the fact that all those "yes's and no's" are being sent to each other which is what makes things different. Brains don't have ECC. They can't store pure experiences or at least not all of them, so it just kind of wings it and makes you different.

IMHO.

I think believing in souls is just a way to make someone feel like they're unique without actually thinking why they are unique. Plus all religions are false, so there's that.

My take about the whole "Made in His image" thing is why don't we all look the same? Also, at what point did he make us in His image? When we were hairy everywhere? You would think He'd be mad at us for getting haircuts and shaving and what not.

I'm guessing you guys are quoting from the Bible when you are talking about "made in His image". However I don't think that refers to the physical aspect at all. I think it is talking about how we can all think, feel, love, hate, understand, etc. It's not about us all looking the same, it is about us all having similar (soulish) characteristics that God has - hence we are "made in his image".

Now I think that souls do exist and let me cash out why:

How many people have access to your mind? How many people can actually know your thoughts, know your feelings or know what it is like to be you? Only one person - you. You are the only one with private access to your consciousness.

But physical things don't have this quality. They are open to anyone who observes them and that includes the brain, which is physical.

Yes scientists have been able to open up the skull and observe the physical activity in areas of the brain when you think certain things but they still can't see what you are thinking.

It is like going to the movies and being up in the room where the movie reel spins. You can see the light shining through the celluloid frames but can you conclude that is all that a movie really is?

Of course not. While the movie does require that light to shine through those frames, it is more than that. It is what is on the screen and beyond - the characters, the plot, etc, so much more than a projection of light.

In the same way, I think when scientists observe activity in the brain and conclude that that is all thinking really is, they are making the same mistake of saying the light through celluloid is all there really is to a movie.

Sure a flash of activity has strong correlation to our thinking but by observing it we still don't have access to the thought itself. Something has to interpret that flash of activity - something has to see the "movie" and I think the soul provides us a reasonable explanation.