Best Videocard & Processor ever

Fragsman

as it turns out, your brain cant keep you breathing, balancing and grammer-ing at the same time... and stuff :biggrin:

That reminds me of something we need a few weeks ago in my psychology class. It was to show that one side of your brain controls one side of your body, while the other side controls the other half, by having us spin the arm and leg on one side in opposite directions. I'm right handed but I had an easier time doing so on my left side, but still was able to spin my appendages in opposite directions with ease, compared to my classmates. But then I'm also spontaneously becoming ambidextrous with my writing skills, so maybe it's not fair to compare me to them.

I don't believe non-physical things exist. :P

The internet is non-physical, so you don't believe in it?

But then I'm also spontaneously becoming ambidextrous with my writing skills, so maybe it's not fair to compare me to them.

Life is great when ambidextrous. I started when i damaged my left hand and now even though i can use my left hand for most things i do it equally comfortably right handed.

The internet is non-physical, so you don't believe in it?

the internet is very physical. the data you are reading are located in 1's and 0's saved on some data disk inside of a computer brought to you via electrical impulses. all of which are physical.

Edited by Griever2003

Life is great when ambidextrous. I started when i damaged my left hand and now even though i can use my left hand for most things i do it equally comfortably right handed.

Yes especially when I need to write something done where I work as a tutor and have my right hand full. In fact I used to hold a pair of markers in each hand and write things out colorcoded that way.

the internet is very physical. the data you are reading are located in 1's and 0's saved on some data disk inside of a computer brought to you via electrical impulses. all of which are physical.

By that logic then the mind is physical as we can touch the neurons and map their connections. So either way, we've defeated Waco's logic. My work here is done :thumbsup:

Ever heard of Bundle Theory, by the way? (I believe that's the name of it. I could be wrong, it's been about 4 years since I took that philosophy class.)

In any case, why don't I throw out another thing I believe to be non-physical. Information. Can you touch information? Can you plot it on a map? Can you store it as a series of 1's and 0's and bring it to you via electrical impulses? No, you cannot. What is stored is not the true information, it's a specific observed form of it, but it is a lossy conversion. In the case of what you're reading the form of my learned version of English. There is no wise man on the mountain you can use your GPS to find and suddenly understand the world. You cannot grasp and feel the information of your keyboard beneath your finger tips, just the texture and pressure of the keys, not what it is to be a key on a keyboard.

Edited by Guest_Jim_*

By that logic then the mind is physical as we can touch the neurons and map their connections. So either way, we've defeated Waco's logic. My work here is done :thumbsup:

Uh, what?

I fully agree that the brain is a physical thing. I never argued against that.

The concept of extra-physical/metaphysical/whatever things is what I reject. :cheers:

Edited by Waco

Uh, what?

I fully agree that the brain is a physical thing. I never argued against that.

The concept of extra-physical/metaphysical/whatever things is what I reject. :cheers:

Perhaps I misunderstood your original statement then. What do you think the mind is? Do you believe that it is simply a product of the connections between neurons, making it something physical, or that it is something not so easily explained?

Perhaps I misunderstood your original statement then. What do you think the mind is? Do you believe that it is simply a product of the connections between neurons, making it something physical

Yes. If you took my body cell-for-cell and their current state and could somehow make a perfect copy of it then you'd have a second me (I know, horrifying :P).

Yes. If you took my body cell-for-cell and their current state and could somehow make a perfect copy of it then you'd have a second me (I know, horrifying :P).

What about your conscious? There has to be something there that makes you different you, even identical twins are different. Not to sound religious but i guess what i am saying is what about your soul? Neurons cannot feel emotions, they can afect and express them but they cant feel hurt or happy, sad or whatever that is extra physical. Gah.. cant express what im trying to say very well. :-/

Here's my theory. If there's an identical version of you, say a clone of you magically appeared, it will be exactly like you. However, from that moment on, it will be different because each of yourself knows that there is a clone of themselves, and will have to make different decisions because of that factor.

As far as souls (whatever definition that may be), who's to say the soul isn't duplicated as well? Also, is a soul determined by just who you are, or your experiences? Say this soul is switched to another body, what part of your soul will be recognized by the new body?