Internet Caps

Data Limits on Internet services.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should ISPs be allowed to implement data caps?

• Of course.
    • Heck no!!!!!!
    • Within resonable standards (please post more info).
    • What is a data cap?
    • What is internet?

correct. it is like what you are explaining. you are paying per month to use your 12Mbps internet connection, yet every month you only get to use 250 gigs total. this is just like the mobile phone limits, except in a wired environment. And it is something that AT&T is planing to implement in the net few months.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still not sure. I believe you mean: Data cap is like a download limit. Let's says. Your company gives you 20mb connection but you have a limit of 100Gb per month.

Well if it's that is not so cool and btw I never heard of that except for mobile phones.

A data cap is basically a download limit.

They've been around a while know in the past usually it was pretty hard to hit one because very few services used that kind of bandwidth but since the introduction of services like netflix or onlive the possibility for some users to hit the caps isn't as hard as it use to be.

I personally think what is more worse then bandwidth caps is the whole net neutrality not becoming a law which would allow ISP's to control the internet.

Edited by fire_storm

Wasn't the internet developed to be free? I understand that they can charge providing you service, but wouldn't this be overstepping the original intent of the internet? Cheap way of communicating. I agree with previous posters: if you want to throttle, fine. Some people go stupid with downloads - there should be a minimum throttle. But you shouldn't be able to charge for both a cap on the amount of data (free as far as I'm concerned) and the speed in which you transfer data. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to remember what I've read somewhere.

Wasn't the internet developed to be free? I understand that they can charge providing you service, but wouldn't this be overstepping the original intent of the internet? Cheap way of communicating. I agree with previous posters: if you want to throttle, fine. Some people go stupid with downloads - there should be a minimum throttle. But you shouldn't be able to charge for both a cap on the amount of data (free as far as I'm concerned) and the speed in which you transfer data. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to remember what I've read somewhere.

Pretty much, not to mention the US's isn't even the fastest so they should really just be building a stronger/faster network instead of struggling to keep their subpar (by world standards) internet running

Pretty much, not to mention the US's isn't even the fastest so they should really just be building a stronger/faster network instead of struggling to keep their subpar (by world standards) internet running

Part of the reason why ISP's hear don't change is they don't have much of an incentive to do so like most people already know in most places you only have two choices Cable or DSL and they know for the most part they can charge whatever they want because they know there

customers aren't going to go some ware else for internet because there's no competition.

It's also important to remember that the USA is a very large country when compared to countries like Japan or South Korea which are relativity small and have a high population density when compared to the USA which makes it a lot easier to provide competition and better service then it is around hear.

Edited by fire_storm

At the very end the NET will be a very controlled space.

I mean yeah.. the NET is free. But to access you need an ISP who has it's rules. Goverment can controll it and if they want they can track us and kill the internet spirit.

Have you considered that you're too picky? :lol:

I personally have no trouble enjoying movies of any kind usually, in fact I just maxed my Instant Queue last night. I was actually surprised to find out there was even a limit on that, but to be fair, I think most would be surprised that I found more than 500 movies that I wanted to put in it. :lol:

Damn Death...have you considered you're not selective enough...I'm not sure I could find 500 good movies in existence, nevermind Netflix :teehee:

Odd mine is 250GB. I use 150GB some months depending on what I'm watching.

What does playing an online game like BFBC2 or some other FPS run you in bandwidth per hour?

I have no idea!

Is there a way to monitor the bandwith used per hour on a certain computer? I'm curious to see how many hours it would take me to max out AT&T's cap.

AT&T has the slowest internet for Iphones ever. I haven't had there internet at home. But really how can they make it worse? By putting data caps on it. They are just greedy and not using any money to help make there service better :mad: .

Is there a way to monitor the bandwith used per hour on a certain computer? I'm curious to see how many hours it would take me to max out AT&T's cap.

There are various free bandwidth monitors out there you can download.

If you have a Linksys or Cisco home router you can put DD-WRT firmware on it which comes with a bandwith monitor which measures all downloads and uploads being done over a WAN or your internet connection.