Internet Caps

Data Limits on Internet services.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should ISPs be allowed to implement data caps?

• Of course.
    • Heck no!!!!!!
    • Within resonable standards (please post more info).
    • What is a data cap?
    • What is internet?

Face it. The day of "the customer is always right" is now always dead. There are very few large corporations that subscribe any more to the "our customers come first" philosophy. Being a small business owner as well as an employee of a medium sized company (i.e. less than 250 employees and privately owned) we do preach and practice both of the aforementioned principals, but that is because we only have to answer to ourselves. Not to a board of directors and not to anyone else that has invested in the companies other than ourselves. Some markets aren't large enough to support more than one supplier of products or services, in other markets the local government bids our services and awards the contract to a single service provider that best serves their constituents, or the company that bribed them the most or promised the highest campaign contribution for their next election cycle.

And I'm admit that I am kind of biased because my ISP (Cox Communications) has brought improved service every time they have proposed a rate increase. I can remember when I first moved to the home we live in now there wasn't any internet service at all. A few years later satellite became an option and then the year after we could actually get dial up through our phone line! Oh my :) A couple years later DSL came our way, and then just two years ago cable. So in twelve years we have gone from zero internet connectivity > 256K >512K>1Mb>10Mb>25Mb. Of course our cost of obtaining those levels of service and speed have increased also - but I'm more than happy to pay for the improved service.

By the way, I never lose my connectivity with Cox................. ever.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it. The day of "the customer is always right" is now always dead. There are very few large corporations that subscribe any more to the "our customers come first" philosophy.

I refuse. I won't go with the flow on something that I believe is a step towards the end of civilization.

I think that the concept of money is a necessary evil in the current system, but the only purpose behind most publicly traded corporations is to make money. It's all they care about, and if they have to screw over as many people as possible to do it, well that's just business. I'm sure that most of the individual employees have better priorities. They probably think that it's just a job, that they need to support the family, etc. But when people gather into any sort of organization, very often it brings out the worst in them. And that what happens with corporations. In order to keep their jobs, the executives have to make a profit. A fundamental principal of business is that in order to make a profit, somebody has to be get screwed to some extent. And when faced with the choice between screwing people over and losing their job, almost all of them choose the former. A lot of them want to screw as many people over as possible, because then instead of making a 100 million a year, they make 200 million a year. The amount of corporate greed in America is sickening.

/rant

Edited by TheHippi

I refuse. I won't go with the flow on something that I believe is a step towards the end of civilization.

I think that the concept of money is a necessary evil in the current system, but the only purpose behind most publicly traded corporations is to make money. It's all they care about, and if they have to screw over as many people as possible to do it, well that's just business. I'm sure that most of the individual employees have better priorities. They probably think that it's just a job, that they need to support the family, etc. But when people gather into any sort of organization, very often it brings out the worst in them. And that what happens with corporations. In order to keep their jobs, the executives have to make a profit. A fundamental principal of business is that in order to make a profit, somebody has to be get screwed to some extent. And when faced with the choice between screwing people over and losing their job, almost all of them choose the former. A lot of them want to screw as many people over as possible, because then instead of making a 100 million a year, they make 200 million a year. The amount of corporate greed in America is sickening.

/rant

+1. Greed is at horrible levels in this country. Well actually most western countries, probably all countries.

By the way, I never lose my connectivity with Cox................. ever.

thats what... eehhhh... she said!

but to also stay on subject. i never realized what a can of worms i was going to start when i started this post. Wev stated a few good points, yes corporations are in the business of making money, we all get that. Everyone wants to make just a few more bucks, But most of that motivation is to make yours and your family's lives better in some way. how is it that those extra few "bucks" helping these corporations. they are not building a better future, else we would see the benefits of. they are not making their product better/more efficient/greener etc... it is that greed that drives them, not the enhancements for clients.

thats what... eehhhh... she said!

but to also stay on subject. i never realized what a can of worms i was going to start when i started this post. Wev stated a few good points, yes corporations are in the business of making money, we all get that. Everyone wants to make just a few more bucks, But most of that motivation is to make yours and your family's lives better in some way. how is it that those extra few "bucks" helping these corporations. they are not building a better future, else we would see the benefits of. they are not making their product better/more efficient/greener etc... it is that greed that drives them, not the enhancements for clients.

I'm not so sure I agree with the last part there, about making things greener. From what I've seen, a lot of the effort large corporations do put into such things often aren't very publicized. I'm not saying they do a lot of it but just that we don't always see it when they do it, which is a shame for these companies because maintaining a good image would probably help them pull off stuff like these data caps. Not with me personally, I'm not an environmentally friendly person really, but a lot of the the US really does get into that kind of stuff so these companies could certainly help themselves by showing off their efforts to be environmentally friendly.

Edited by Deathmineral

/rant

:withstupid:

I'd have to agree most ISP's are just putting the extra cash in there pockets very little if any is going towards network upgrades and as the network get's overloaded bandwidth caps are just excuses not to fix the problem sure the bandwidth caps don't effect most people know but I bet there are long term plan is to start with high bandwidth caps and keep knocking them down until the internet turns into a metered service like paying 10 dollars every 1 gig used. On top of that major ISP's are working hard to make sure net neutrality never becomes a law so they can begin to block access or charge more for certain websites and services in the long run I don't see how this is going to make it better for anyone accept for there profit margins.

I've always believed that the whole only do things if there is money to be made is a bad argument because it teaches people just to think about themselves just think how much better a place the world would be if people did things to benefit others rather than what people do know which is try to make as much money off of everybody as possible and as long as no one bothers me I'm happy.

Edited by fire_storm

Wow AT&T just struck an all time low once again...SO glad I'm on sprint. I tether up a storm on my phone, glad to have the only unlimited network that actually will let me stretch my $$ given to them.

I couldn't ever feel clean if I was on an AT&T contract

That's the straw that broke the camels back for me..... So when I do get my own contract I'm either sticking with Tmobile which is supposed to have 4g in my area soon and they already have decent 3g coverage and Verizon.

That's the straw that broke the camels back for me..... So when I do get my own contract I'm either sticking with Tmobile which is supposed to have 4g in my area soon and they already have decent 3g coverage and Verizon.

think twice about t-mobile...LOL

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/att-to-buy-t-mobile-usa-for-39-billion/

sudddenlink has just started showing how much bandwidth users use each month and compares it to the local area they are in so I bet they are thinking of starting a bandwidth cap process too

We already pay more then enough for An ISP. If they have issues keeping themselves in the black then They are really looking at there issue wrong or they just are being greedy.

Doing this will also kill online gaming. therefore they will loose more money when I cancel my service from the High end gamers plan to the broadband plan.

I think one of the real issues here is it will hurt the online backup companies. If I backed up my entire computer to an online service it would really eat up that bandwidth. I would think that mozy and the other backup companies would not want this.