Internet Caps

Data Limits on Internet services.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should ISPs be allowed to implement data caps?

• Of course.
    • Heck no!!!!!!
    • Within resonable standards (please post more info).
    • What is a data cap?
    • What is internet?

I voted "within reasonable standards".

Let's face it, the ISP owns the bandwidth and the transmission medium whether that be phone line, cable or fiber. Accordingly I think they should be able to limit the bandwidth of persons or organizations that abuse the bandwidth at the expense of all of us other normal users. Online gaming won't be affected unless you have to download maps from the game server (or upload them).

Now, here is the exception........ if I'm a private individual or company paying for premium or top tier service they damned well better not try to cap my data usage.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Death...have you considered you're not selective enough...I'm not sure I could find 500 good movies in existence, nevermind Netflix :teehee:

I think that if I was more selective with what I look for in entertainment, I would have missed some of my favorite movies, comics, games, etc. I'm just a fairly open minded person that welcomes just about any form of entertainment.

I voted "within reasonable standards".

Let's face it, the ISP owns the bandwidth and the transmission medium whether that be phone line, cable or fiber. Accordingly I think they should be able to limit the bandwidth of persons or organizations that abuse the bandwidth at the expense of all of us other normal users. Online gaming won't be affected unless you have to download maps from the game server (or upload them).

Now, here is the exception........ if I'm a private individual or company paying for premium or top tier service they damned well better not try to cap my data usage.

Isn't that kind of like their goal with data caps? To force people with high bandwidth usage to use premium plans instead of the current decently priced plans? It's just about the money.

Something I'd like to know, because my opinion on the matter pretty much one sided, why do some of you defend companies' rights to do this kind of thing? What do you get out of it is my question I guess.

I think that if I was more selective with what I look for in entertainment, I would have missed some of my favorite movies, comics, games, etc. I'm just a fairly open minded person that welcomes just about any form of entertainment.

Isn't that kind of like their goal with data caps? To force people with high bandwidth usage to use premium plans instead of the current decently priced plans? It's just about the money.

Something I'd like to know, because my opinion on the matter pretty much one sided, why do some of you defend companies' rights to do this kind of thing? What do you get out of it is my question I guess.

I don't like the government stepping in and saying they can't do something. I don't want them to put caps in place but I don't think the gov't has the right to say they can't. I don't want to live in a nanny state.

Typically when you get into providing internet for a business they typically don't have as many restrictions because they pay a ton of money per month to access it and they usually get to write there own SLA or Service Level Agreements so the ISP typically can't just change things on a wim because it would violate the contract they made.

I'm personally not a supporter of any ISP at all I just step in and argue because it seems like there too many people out there who don't get bandwidth caps are in place from more then just reasons to make a profit.

I don't like the government stepping in and saying they can't do something. I don't want them to put caps in place but I don't think the gov't has the right to say they can't. I don't want to live in a nanny state.

Well I can't disagree with that, I feel the same way about the government stepping into our business. However the truth is that they do that whether we like it or not, and they don't always tell us about the things they do either, even if it's part of our every day lives.

For example, how many here knows about the ban on Phosphate in dishwashing soaps? I'd bet that most here haven't heard about this, because the government doesn't feel like we need to know about such things. For those that don't know about this, Phosphate is a big ingredient for cleaning dishes, and now that it's gone, the dishes don't become as clean and now there is gunk left on the dishes as well, and I googled an article for this real fast so it doesn't look like I'm making this up. :lol:

That's just one of the things the government does that the citizens don't really have much say about, however that's what makes dish washing soap and this internet stuff a lot different. Not wanting caps on our internet usage and not wanting the ISPs limit us in other ways, that's something a lot people are fighting for, Net Neutrality is something a sizable amount of people know about and are active about.

I'm not condoning the idea of a nanny state, but I do think it's happening anyway, so I think we should at least make the government lean our way if they are going to take control of everything.

That is actually a fairly good point about missing some good stuff...but I shudder to think at all the garbage you have to sift through for the occasional gem.

As to your second point, I think a major problem is that we feel in order to like something we must "get something out of it". I don't like the idea of data caps any more than you but the reality is someone (probably the ISP, but if not they bought the rights to them) paid a lot of money to build the infrastructure of the web we use and imho they really "own" that aspect of it. Obviously they want to maximize their revenue, so they are regulating theIr product in a way that increases their profits. The issue is where does it stop and what is reasonable because these companies will push it as far as they can. They are greedy profit-driven entities that care not at all if a middle income household can watch Netflix for a reasonable amount of money. If they can they WILL charge you an ARM AND A LEG!

It's a similar situation with the pharmaceutical industry...they spend billions designing drugs and want to make a profit so they charge a fortune for their drugs. In the end regulation is necessary because the drugs would remain unavailable to vast numbers of people otherwise.

It boils down to everyone being a bunch of greedy B*stards and that includes the consumers :unsure:

Comcast has a 500GB limit, that won't tell you about unless you nail them down to find it, problem here is I already pay there fees for internet cause att is horrible here, but with a speed of 40Down/8up. this limit can become an issue.

I thought Comcast's cap was 250GB

As to your second point, I think a major problem is that we feel in order to like something we must "get something out of it". I don't like the idea of data caps any more than you but the reality is someone (probably the ISP, but if not they bought the rights to them) paid a lot of money to build the infrastructure of the web we use and imho they really "own" that aspect of it. Obviously they want to maximize their revenue, so they are regulating theIr product in a way that increases their profits. The issue is where does it stop and what is reasonable because these companies will push it as far as they can. They are greedy profit-driven entities that care not at all if a middle income household can watch Netflix for a reasonable amount of money. If they can they WILL charge you an ARM AND A LEG!

It's a similar situation with the pharmaceutical industry...they spend billions designing drugs and want to make a profit so they charge a fortune for their drugs. In the end regulation is necessary because the drugs would remain unavailable to vast numbers of people otherwise.

It boils down to everyone being a bunch of greedy B*stards and that includes the consumers :unsure:

Sounds like most corporations nowadays there only your friend until they dominate the market and that's when they stick it to you.

Edited by fire_storm

@Deathmineral have you looked into the reason why phosphates have been banned? Is it perhaps a deathmineral? :lol:

Capitalism and the need to pay the shareholders and make a nice healthy profit?

@Deathmineral have you looked into the reason why phosphates have been banned? Is it perhaps a deathmineral? :lol:

Capitalism and the need to pay the shareholders and make a nice healthy profit?

That wasn't my point. :mfp:

I was simply using that as an example of what the government does without telling us, it's something that affects us though. I'm not going to get into a big debate about whether they're right about the ban or not because it doesn't matter anyway, people that know about this ban simply add it back in themselves now. :lol:

Well I can't disagree with that, I feel the same way about the government stepping into our business. However the truth is that they do that whether we like it or not, and they don't always tell us about the things they do either, even if it's part of our every day lives.

For example, how many here knows about the ban on Phosphate in dishwashing soaps? I'd bet that most here haven't heard about this, because the government doesn't feel like we need to know about such things. For those that don't know about this, Phosphate is a big ingredient for cleaning dishes, and now that it's gone, the dishes don't become as clean and now there is gunk left on the dishes as well, and I googled an article for this real fast so it doesn't look like I'm making this up. :lol:

That's just one of the things the government does that the citizens don't really have much say about, however that's what makes dish washing soap and this internet stuff a lot different. Not wanting caps on our internet usage and not wanting the ISPs limit us in other ways, that's something a lot people are fighting for, Net Neutrality is something a sizable amount of people know about and are active about.

I'm not condoning the idea of a nanny state, but I do think it's happening anyway, so I think we should at least make the government lean our way if they are going to take control of everything.

Just because they are making this a nanny state in some areas doesn't make it okay in other areas.

And yes I did know about the phosphate thing.