Rage

bp9801

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new AMD drivers fixed virtually every issue I had with the game. The texture pop-in is basically eliminated, it only appears for a split second on the extreme edges of the screen instead of all over for a second or so. No more flashing hightlights either, but the game still isn't making use of both GPUs. Still, runs and looks good on just one 5770 so no real complaints.

Basically, the engine is monitoring what your system can handle, and adjusts the graphics settings to ensure 60FPS at all times.

Well then my system should be able to view the game at the highest detail :)

I was never really interested in Rage but it looks to be a very good game :) Now I have to wait to get it tomorrow when it releases in SA :P

Tried that and saw no change. Unless I did something wrong.

Yeah, I didn't notice much difference, if any at all.

Here's a screenshot without the config file (thus using the "auto texture feature"):

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540655515199072416/E8D9A7E7D17A7626E26A5CA564E47306F7A20FD5/

Here's a screenshot after "forcing" the 8k textures:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540655515199073236/DBC1543A125AD80B723116B7DF1530F6188097AD/

Very minor differences, wherein they're so minor that I'm guessing it was just a matter of different lighting and cloud cover at the time (plus a bit of randomness, as the 8k texture screenshot doesn't have the flying birds in it, though I did see them later).

Now whether I'm getting improved textures in other areas, I don't know, as I haven't done other back-and-forth comparisons. My guess, however, is simply that the auto feature IS actually working, at least for me...it knows my GPU can handle 8k textures, so that's what it gave me. I guess I can go and try and force 16k textures to tell if the code is at least working, but I only have 768MB of dedicated video memory, so I didn't want to push it - NVIDIA tested out 16k with 3GB of GDDR.

I'll have to take screen shots of my results but I really saw no noticeable change with forcing 8k and 16k textures. Evga precision's on screen display of video memory usage didn't really change much from the original texture settings. Using a gtx590 so I know my vga can handle it.

The textures are not blurry, at least not for me. I have the new AMD drivers installed, and last night the game looked a lot better than it did Tuesday morning. Very minimal texture pop-in, textures were of a high resolution, and the facial movements had evened out whenever I talked to a character.

The only thing I need id to fix is multiple GPU support. Other than that, there really isn't much of anything to complain about, yet people still do.

Does it make 120Hz monitors run at 60 fps too or 120fps? Seems like an unneeded fix to a nonexistent problem.

60, but if you check out the steam forums, apparently there is another line of code you can add to the config file to support other FPSs