U.S. Gasoline prices

Andrewr05

Didn't we already do that? More than once?

You mean when we went ahead and BOUGHT all their oil to help get their economy going, as we're doing now? Yeah, we did that. Or perhaps I'm a victim of the government's propaganda...

Diesel's $4 a gallon here. It's been hard, I've had to slow down to half a pack a day instead of a pack a day to keep my budget tight, and I've stopped buying candy bars. Rough times, I tell you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story!

That's pretty good for petrol, but you ride a diesel? I've just done a quick calculation for Diesel (which is cheaper here), it's about 1.40€ / Liter, which makes it 1.96$ / liter, which is 7.41$ per gallon. Petrol ist 1.65€ / Liter, so 2.31$ per liter, which equals 8.73$ / gallon.

If Diesel keeps going through the roof I may have to rethink my driving style in the Autobahns, usually I get bored of driving slowly (140km/h so ~75-80mph) within 10 minutes, then wait for the unlimited sign and floor it... Although I don't really care, cause when I drive it pedal to the metal it shows 12L/100km (19.6MPG), which turns out to be only 7L/100km (33MPG) over a complete tank.

Diesel is about 5% more expensive in the UK for reasons that cannot be explained/justified.

Diesel is about 5% more expensive in the UK for reasons that cannot be explained/justified.

There shouldn't be a reason why diesel is more expensive than regular gas considering it is less refined when compared to other types of gas.

They just charge more for diesel because they know the truck drivers and heavy machinery can't say no and will pay whatever price because there are no alternatives to it.

Edited by fire_storm

I paid 3.14 for regular yesterday in Tucson, AZ. This is up maybe 10 cents over the last week. We tend to not get hit hard by price shocks here because a supply pipeline passes through town.

The reason for these price shocks is because the dictators we had previously made deals with through the middle east for their oil are now being overthrown and supply is now in a state of uncertainty. It was bound to happen eventually. I mean, it was only a matter of time before people in the middle east realized they were getting the shaft by their governments that were funded by our oil addiction.

Tree-fiddy. Central FL.

Anyone going hybrid soon or already has?

Im thinkin' i might get one of these:

2008_kaw_ninja250r_side.jpg

For back up.. cause ya gotta have a truck or car for carry space.. a bike alone just isn't logical..

They're startin' to come out with some pretty slick and considerably fast electric bikes but hell that baby gets 55-65mpg easy.

I dunno though, not sure if I wanna be the bike guy.. Or am a bike guy.. Its fun and all, but its a lifestyle.. lol

Some guys you see on a bike you're just automatically like.. ha-ha.

I guess I normally only really do that to people who show off or have really bright neon colored bikes..

HEY DID YOU SEE MY BIKE THAT'S SO LOUD?!?

Edited by TOMisCHEEZE

Really, most of our oil comes from Canada. It's about damn time we take their oil and maple syrup!

Tom, be smart about it. Look at how much it's going to cost just to buy it. Then you have to factor in your protective gear, unless you trust every driver on the road to be perfectly safe. And of course your tires will maybe last you about 5,000-7,000 miles, not to mention replacing your chain and sprockets as needed. Don't get me wrong, the Ninja 250 is an EXCELLENT bike, especially for a new rider, but don't buy one thinking it'll pay for itself in gas savings.

On the hybrid note, do the math. Let's say you get a used Prius for $15,000 and it's getting 50 MPG. Now let's say that you're getting an average of 15 MPG with your current vehicle, which we'll assume is paid off and the insurance cost is negligible. You're getting 3.3 times the gas mileage out of this Prius. Now, if you drive 12,000 miles a year, you'll be using around 800 gallons of gas for that year. With that Prius, you'll be using 240 gallons. At $4 a gallon, you're saving $2,240. Sounds great. So, you pay down/trade in for $1,500 and get this Prius. Your loan comes out to $288 for a 5 year mortage at 6.99% APR. This adds up to $3,360 a year. You're paying over $1,100 a year MORE when factoring in gas and car payments. This is assuming a $150 registration fee, call your DMV to get the proper amount.

If I messed up on the math, feel free to correct me. I was never the best at it.

Really, most of our oil comes from Canada. It's about damn time we take their oil and maple syrup!

Tom, be smart about it. Look at how much it's going to cost just to buy it. Then you have to factor in your protective gear, unless you trust every driver on the road to be perfectly safe. And of course your tires will maybe last you about 5,000-7,000 miles, not to mention replacing your chain and sprockets as needed. Don't get me wrong, the Ninja 250 is an EXCELLENT bike, especially for a new rider, but don't buy one thinking it'll pay for itself in gas savings.

On the hybrid note, do the math. Let's say you get a used Prius for $15,000. Now let's say that you're getting an average of 15 MPG with your current vehicle, which we'll assume is paid off and the insurance cost is negligible. You're getting 3.3 times the gas mileage out of this Prius. Now, if you drive 12,000 miles a year, you'll be using around 800 gallons of gas for that year. With that Prius, you'll be using 240 gallons. At $4 a gallon, you're saving $2,240. Sounds great. So, you pay down/trade in for $1,500 and get this Prius. Your loan comes out to $288 for a 5 year mortage at 6.99% APR. This adds up to $3,360 a year. You're paying over $1,100 a year MORE when factoring in gas and car payments. This is assuming a $150 registration fee, call your DMV to get the proper amount.

If I messed up on the math, feel free to correct me. I was never the best at it.

Haha, well put.. Dude I love your Avatar.