what gpu for AMD setup

Wolfrider

Hello,

i recently asked around for the best gaming cpu/mobo, but it seems that it doesn't matter if I've got an i7 or x6.

I've searched a LOT, and still can't decide witch gpu to buy.

My budget is around 300 euros, and I wanted to buy an gtx 570 or HD 6970. I read that a dual card setup was faster,

so can anyone help me out? It will be part of a new system:

crosshair IV formula/ extreme (depends on gpu setup)

AMD x6 1055T

Mushkin Radioactive 996958 PC3 12800 2X2GB

psu depends on 1 or 2 gpu's

The HDD, lite on drive are from my old setup

my res is 1920 to 1200. I like games like crysis, COD, metro, COH, fallout,... :thx:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much would two 460s or two 6850s run??

This is what I would check on! Especially the GTX 460's since you play Metro 2033 :thumbsup:

you can get two msi 6850's oced to 820mhz for $320.00 after MIR at newegg

He is in Germany, so this won't work.

Plus two NVIDIA cards don't play nicely on an AMD AM3 board. I'd go for a pair of HD 6850s myself, still have great performance and shouldn't be too much over your budget.

Since he is still deciding on the mobo, he could get a nvidia chipset AM3 board ;)

If you're going with such a high end motherboard it only makes sense to go for dual GPU, like 2x 6850. Crossfire really runs like hell with all latest titles.

If you on the other hand decide to go with a stronger single GPU, combine it with a cheaper mobo. If you wan't to overclock the CPU in that case, buy a BE (unlocked multi).

Depends if you want to be able to upgrade in the future or be stuck with your performance for ever.(Unless you buy totally new again.) 1x HD 6950 I think would be better and unlock that to an HD 6970 if you wish, or go for the HD 6970 which ever you prefer. Then get a new PSU and if you ever need more power get a second later one. Much better results in the end.

Depends if you want to be able to upgrade in the future or be stuck with your performance for ever.(Unless you buy totally new again.) 1x HD 6950 I think would be better and unlock that to an HD 6970 if you wish, or go for the HD 6970 which ever you prefer. Then get a new PSU and if you ever need more power get a second later one. Much better results in the end.

...and almost double the budget in the end.

I have a pair of 4850 (512 MB each) in CF and I can play all current titles at very high to maximum settings. My monitor is 1680x1050, but I've tried a few titles on the Full HD TV as well and there was not much difference. It's hard to imagine any upcoming game would need more than two 6850 in the next few years.

...and almost double the budget in the end.

I have a pair of 4850 (512 MB each) in CF and I can play all current titles at very high to maximum settings. My monitor is 1680x1050, but I've tried a few titles on the Full HD TV as well and there was not much difference. It's hard to imagine any upcoming game would need more than two 6850 in the next few years.

I can play everything maxed too, except it all lags. Go play Metro 2033 maxed with 4x AA, you will be getting 20FPS as your maximum if your lucky.

Why waste money on crossfire when you have no option to upgrade in the future?