what gpu for AMD setup

Wolfrider

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'v got a 630 Watt Axpertec Simplepower AXP- 630p12p (http://www.axpertec.com/Product-powersupply_simplepower_630W.asp) power supply, is that enough to power:

2x 6850 xfx crossfire

crosshair IV

X6 1055T

Cooler Master V8

G.Skill PC1333 4GB

2x maxtor 250 gb hard drive

1x LG super multi drive

and maybe a OCZ RevoDrive PCI Express SSD - 50GB

I decided t o buy a new case, psu and HDD, instead of upgrading my old setup.

I'm just wondering witch PSU to buy, I think that 750 watt should be enough to power it,

but witch brand would be best? I like to keep my system silent and to OC it about half way the maximum.

Using eXtreme Power Supply calculator and rounding down the values a bit (it is known to overestimate) I found that your system will run well with a decent 550w PSU @ full load as long as it has enough 6(+2) pin connectors for the 2 graphics cards and at least ~30-35 amps on the +12 volt rail.

Given this, it seems that getting a 750-1000w PSU would be a bit of an overkill and because your system will probably not be under full load for most of the time - meaning it will probably idle at about 250-300w (even with overclocks) - I believe it would be wiser to get a PSU in the 550-650w range since PSUs are most efficient when running under 40-60% load.

Check out OCC's Recommended Power Supply List for a good comprehensive list of reliable PSUs you could buy.

EDIT: Spelling + Sentence Structure

Edited by Alexandre